@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
I recently ordered an item on-line and used PayPal to make the purchase. The funds were withdrawn almost right away from my bank account.

Shortly after, I received an email saying that they were returning my payment, since the item wasn't in stock.

I received an email from PayPal announcing the same thing. Going to my PayPal account, I certainly saw the original debit and the resulting credit from the vendor. However, my PayPal balance was zero. I checked my bank account on line and didn't see anything other than the original purchase. The credit wasn't posted.

I called PayPal and got the runaround that these things take several days. I pointed out that the original purchase went through in a few hours and that would have been quicker, but I made the purchase Sunday night. The seller notified me by email that they had returned my money. PayPal also notified me that my money had been returned. So, where is it?

OK, it finally showed up in my PayPal account as being available. Great, so I returned it back to my bank account. I filled out the amount and clicked the right buttons on PayPal.

So, I go back on line to check my bank account and still there is no deposit from PayPal. Oh, that's right...these things take several days.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
OK, it finally showed up in my PayPal account as being available. Great, so I returned it back to my bank account. I filled out the amount and clicked the right buttons on PayPal.

So, I go back on line to check my bank account and still there is no deposit from PayPal. Oh, that's right...these things take several days.
Well, yes, interbank transfers do take some finite amount of time. Pay a Visa bill on-line and see how long it takes before the payment shows up. Out of curiosity, do you periodically use PayPal to make payments? If so, why didn't you just leave the balance created by the refund in your PayPal account. Less transferring back and forth.
@cdrpierce avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV300ie

Hooked
@cdrpierce avatar
GTV300ie
UTC quote
SOP for paypal they'll snatch instantly and take days returning it. You should hear the true horror stories sellers have about PayPal.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
pretty normal on paypal transactions.

1 thing I do different for my bank account is I have a separate checking account just for paypal, this way if something were to happen they would never have access to my normal checking account. I just keep a minimum in the 2nd checking or transfer to and from when needed.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
CDRPierce wrote:
You should hear the true horror stories sellers have about PayPal.
It is certainly true that PayPal is the buyers friend. Sellers are at the mercy of eBay disputes initiated by buyers.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Well, yes, interbank transfers do take some finite amount of time. Pay a Visa bill on-line and see how long it takes before the payment shows up.
Three days or more in the US if you haven't set up some slightly quicker method (email etc).
Three seconds in the UK.
OP
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
I only use Paypal if I am buying something on line. I have the flexibility of toggling back and forth my checking account and my credit card for payment.

In this case, i had a couple hundred bucks unspoken for, so I went shopping for chrome goodies for my new Goldwing.

I found some stuff I wanted and the amount was $151. The web site said only one left, so I grabbed it. A couple clicks and Paypal was handling my purchase. I always verify my transactions within the hour by checking my Paypal account, which showed the purchase through my bank account. I also checked my bank account and the money had been withdrawn.

A short time later I got an email from the seller advising they had refunded my money. I am guessing that they were actually out of stock when I bought "the last one" and the website hadn't been updated.

I also got a message from Paypal saying my money had been returned. OK, so I went on my Paypal account and there it was, $151- and $151+. So, my purchase was voided and I believed I had $151 to play with. I went back on line and actually found the same item for $128. Without hesitation, I clicked on that puppy and chose Paypal for the purchase.

I checked my Paypal account and there was now a $128 - listed. OK. I checked my bank account and there was the withdrawal for $128. Still no $151 deposit.

Now, I was a bit concerned because the new purchase was to have been made with the previous refund, which wasn't there yet. This was going to be a problem in a day or two because I would have been overdrawn if it wasn't for a couple of checks I had mailed out that hadn't cleared yet.

Here it is, three days later, after a phone call to Paypal and a few emails back and forth and still no refund, even though it shows on my Paypal account that it has been returned to my bank. It shouldn't take that long because money transfers are almost all electronic these days. If I make a purchase through Paypal and they grab my cash within minutes, they should be able to refund it that fast. The only thing I can think of is that they sit on refunds for a few days to draw whatever interest they can muster up. Who knows, they may have an immense pool of cash in float that is throwing off a few nickels here and there.

I had to transfer cash from savings to cover everything outstanding because I have no clue when Paypal will puke it up.
@scoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa 946

Molto Verboso
@scoot avatar
Vespa 946
UTC quote
I vowed never to use PayPal again after getting royally effed in an eBay transaction.

Sold some BRAND NEW Bose cube surround sound speakers. Literally, still factory sealed.

The seller complained that one of the grills was broken and wanted a credit, but not willing to send pictures.

The buyer filed a claim that he "didn't get the speakers" even though I had tracking and insurance verification.......guess who eBay sided with.....the buyer.

AND, to make matters worse, not only was the $500 taken out of my account, I never got the speakers back. Never heard from the buyer again. Just royally effed.
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
UTC quote
Scoot wrote:
I vowed never to use PayPal again after getting royally effed in an eBay transaction.

Sold some BRAND NEW Bose cube surround sound speakers. Literally, still factory sealed.

The seller complained that one of the grills was broken and wanted a credit, but not willing to send pictures.

The buyer filed a claim that he "didn't get the speakers" even though I had tracking and insurance verification.......guess who eBay sided with.....the buyer.

AND, to make matters worse, not only was the $500 taken out of my account, I never got the speakers back. Never heard from the buyer again. Just royally effed.
Same thing with me. Purchased a vehicle via e-bay and sent hefty deposit via PayPal. When the car arrived several weeks afterwards, it wasn't the vehicle which I had purchased. It also suffered transit damage and as I was on the tele disputing the purchase with the seller and e-bay, the transport offloaded the vehicle and e-bay and PayPal insisted that since I accepted the vehicle by having it offloaded, they were not responsible. The seller was across the country and e-bay and PayPal were absolutely useless. It wound up being a very costly lesson and I subsequently canceled my PayPal and e-bay accounts. There's no way they're going to give your money back without a fight.
@retroguy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 V90

Molto Verboso
@retroguy avatar
1974 V90
UTC quote
Just had the same thing happen. It took 4 days.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0269s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0024s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]