OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 125 Super

Vespa GTS 125 Super
UTC quote
Hello all

newbie here, totally new to Vespas and indeed to scooters!

I pick up my GTS 125 Super tomorrow, new reg. Very excited.

That said, has the price of the GTS 125 SuperSport come down very recently? I'm a bit perturbed to see it's only £100 more expensive - am certain that wasn't the case when I put down the deposit.

Another question: can anyone tell me the manufacturer of the immobiliser? Some insurance companies want to know...
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Re: Vespa 125 Super - excited!
mattymoo2014 wrote:
Another question: can anyone tell me the manufacturer of the immobiliser? Some insurance companies want to know...
It's part of the CDI/ECU, and is made by whoever supplied Piaggio with that particular part, probably General Tsao's Much Happiness Immobilization and Fighting Robot Toy Factory (if you use that as your answer, I'll send you a dollar.

. What the insurance companies are wondering is if there is an accessory anti-theft device installed, and who makes it.
⚠️ Last edited by Motovista on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
As to Super/Super Sport - the only real differences that you'd notice are the decals.

Just tell them it's the factory fitted standard immobiliser. It isn't an add-on as it would be with some bikes, and it's already been taken into account in their tables.

That said, it seems it might as well have been omitted with the speed and ease which it's overcome in London (and probably elsewhere) these days.
OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 125 Super

Vespa GTS 125 Super
UTC quote
Thanks for your replies!

I was worried that the Super Sport was "safe" and the Super was "unsafe" because of the ABS

Strange, because I swear the Super Sport was on for more than £100 difference ten days ago. I could ask the shop but I don't want them to get annoyed as if I'm changing my mind...

Struggling to get anything less than £600 insurance cost. Wanted to be with Aviva but so expensive. That said, it appears to be cheaper getting Aviva through Lexham. Strange.

Anyone recommend good insurers?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
No, but Malossi makes a 218cc cylinder kit for your bike. See if you can register it as an LX50 and use the savings to buy the kit.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
If this your first scooter insurance, then going via Lexham is almost certainly the best option, and £600 wouldn't be totally out of order if you're just on a CBT and L plates. Pass the test, do Bikesafe, and the premiums should come down substantially.

I'd missed that the *new* Super Sport has ASR/ABS (sorry!) - on a GTS125 that's probably not too big an issue anyway.
OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 125 Super

Vespa GTS 125 Super
UTC quote
Motovista - could you explain what you mean - a kit for what?

jimc - when you say not too big a deal do you mean I wouldn't notice the ABS?
@gedmunds avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super

Addicted
@gedmunds avatar
Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Hi Matty

Welcome from another newbie, I just picked up a 2014 GTS 3 weeks ago, minus ABS, I was told it was not available on the 125 only the new 300?

Either way you wont regret your purchase
@davelx avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 Piaggio BV-350

Molto Verboso
@davelx avatar
2016 Piaggio BV-350
UTC quote
Did you Go Compare?

MCNcompare?

Comparethemarket.com ?

Get yourself a free Meerkat too!
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Welcome Matty - quite a few London riders here on MV now.

Get a few 'confidence miles' in then come out to play with some of us on this group ride and UK MV social 8) Sunday 19th October: Dungeness Ride

Join up with Gedmunds and the other 125 riders from London for it
OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 125 Super

Vespa GTS 125 Super
UTC quote
Thanks for your replies. What nice people here!

I have been more confident today, riding from SE to SW.

As for insurance, I went with Lexhams.

Could someone clarify how to swap from km to miles? I've looked at the FAQs here but I can't find "both buttons" of the control panel...

Also, is the section about UK Vespas on the kill button page sarcastic?! Ie should I use it? My dealer said no.

Could you tell me where from and what time for the Dungeness trip?
OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 125 Super

Vespa GTS 125 Super
UTC quote
Sorry - found the link for the trip!

Comments re miles vs km and kill switch appreciated.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
mattymoo2014 wrote:
Comments re miles vs km and kill switch appreciated.
On the GTS125 Super - I didn't know you had a digital odometer? As far as I was aware it's mechanical, and can't be changed from km to miles.

The 'advised' use of the kill switch varies diametrically from the US to the EU/UK.

In the US, motorcycles are seen as recreational vehicles, not daily transport, so riders are advised by MSF instructors to turn off the engine using the kill switch, as an aid to 'muscle memory' if ever in an incident where the engine needed to be turned off quickly.

In the EU/UK, riders are advised by instructors NOT to regularly turn off the engine using the kill switch, but to reserve it for emergency use only. This is so that you don't subsequently forget to turn off the ignition (leading to battery discharge) and/or forget to remove the key, leading to inevitable theft.

Failure of the kill-switch leading to a dead bike seems to be just as prevalent whichever regime is practised, so no bias there.

Both schemes have their merits when local conditions are taken into account.

Personally, I might use the kill-switch if waiting at a railway (railroad) crossing, or some other situation where the bike needed to have the ignition on (powering GPS say) but without wasting petrol or making undue noise. Otherwise only if the bike's on its side with the engine still running.
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
In the US, motorcycles are seen as recreational vehicles, not daily transport, so riders are advised by MSF instructors to turn off the engine using the kill switch, as an aid to 'muscle memory' if ever in an incident where the engine needed to be turned off quickly.

In the EU/UK, riders are advised by instructors NOT to regularly turn off the engine using the kill switch, but to reserve it for emergency use only. This is so that you don't subsequently forget to turn off the ignition (leading to battery discharge) and/or forget to remove the key, leading to inevitable theft.

Failure of the kill-switch leading to a dead bike seems to be just as prevalent whichever regime is practised, so no bias there.
I think I'm right in saying that some owners have advised using the kill switch on the GTS to ensure the contacts in the switch don't corrode, break the circuit and also produce 'dead bike'. I've picked up that habit now and use the kill switch to turn off, but my muscle memory habit is also to then go straight to 'key off' too
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I've had three kill-switches fail. Two on X9s, and one on the Fuoco. It was never the contacts inside, it was a pin on the outside that failed (snapped) each time from corrosion. A different design to the Vespa ones, but possibly relevant. I've greased up the connections on every other bike since.

Apart from that I just leave the buggers alone.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
In the US, motorcycles are seen as recreational vehicles, not daily transport, so riders are advised by MSF instructors to turn off the engine using the kill switch, as an aid to 'muscle memory' if ever in an incident where the engine needed to be turned off quickly.)
In the US, you can often tell someone who's been riding a long time by whether or not they use the kill switch. Most people who were riding before they were mandatory don't use them, and most new riders do. It's all too common for someone to be in a hurry, kill the bike with the switch and leave it with the keys in. I've seen bikes stolen because of this, and I've seen a lot of dead batteries too.
@gedmunds avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS Super

Addicted
@gedmunds avatar
Vespa GTS Super
UTC quote
Matty, lets see some pics
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
mattymoo2014 wrote:
@Motovista - could you explain what you mean - a kit for what?
A bigger cylinder and piston to increase it to 218ccs. If you look at ads for used bikes in the UK, a lot of bikes start life as a 125, because of the licensing laws, and the owner puts a bigger cylinder on it, and continues registering and operating it as a 125. Look at Gilera Runner 125 2 strokes, and it's hard to find a bike sold and registered as a 125 that is still a 125. Most of them have been changed to 172 or 180ccs.
When you decide to increase the displacement, there are three good bolt on options, the Malossi kit is the biggest, and will make your bike walk away from stock GTS 300s, the Polini 209 kit is a good cylinder for a daily driver, and the Piaggio 200cc cylinder kit basically gives you a GT 200 engine.
OP
UTC

Vespa GTS 125 Super

Vespa GTS 125 Super
UTC quote
I'll post some pics tomorrow! Meantime, quick vote: D-lock or chain? I've got a chain but it's a bit of a faff when the wheels / exhaust are hot!

Can anyone recommend a disc lock to fit the GTS 125 Super? They tried one in the shop but it didn't fit (and I hope they didn't damage the brakes in the process...).
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'd advise chain for longer stays and a Grip-Lock as an extra visible deterrent that can also be used swiftly when just stopping for a short while. The advantage of a chain is that you can loop it through some other PTWs chain, which adds security to both bikes without inconveniencing either party. Very common practice in London, highly recommended.
@sheridat avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR

Molto Verboso
@sheridat avatar
MP3 500 LT SPORT ABS/ASR
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
In the EU/UK, riders are advised by instructors NOT to regularly turn off the engine using the kill switch, but to reserve it for emergency use only. This is so that you don't subsequently forget to turn off the ignition (leading to battery discharge) and/or forget to remove the key, leading to inevitable theft. etc etc

Thanks for explaining this difference in US/UK re the kill switch - I will change to the strategy you use - already walked away from my bike this week in a very busy tourist place with they key still in it.
UTC

LX125

LX125
UTC quote
Greetings to you! Hope you get everything sorted by now. Let's come out for a ride around town soon. Take care.
@rusty_rope avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@rusty_rope avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Regarding kill switch, i'd suggest that everyone uses it.

A number of times i've stopped to help stranded people in London not having a clue why their bike/scoot wouldn't start.

Majority of the time someone thought it'd be funny to flick the kill switch when it's parked. And the rider gets back from doing whatever, they've never used the kill switch and stands there clueless as to why the bike wouldn't start.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0513s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0247s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]