Ordering from SIP in the USA
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
Hooked
1964 v90, 1970 VBC, lots of dumb twist n go toys
Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:59 am quote
Who here has bought parts direct from SIP? They are the only place that seems to list my needed piston. I'm thinking of ordering it along with a stack of other bits but having never bought parts from overseas before am a tad wary of possible troubles.
Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:15 am quote
Sip orders go smooth and even returns go well. Just don't order any ball bearings. US customs does not like ball bearing imports from Germany or so I've heard. Otherwise go ahead with your order. I'm curious if anyone else here has had issues ordering bearings from them.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 x2 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
I've had good luck avoiding all the hassle by going thru Rob Hodge for stuff from SIP and many here say the same. Here's a link http://scoot.net/classifieds/forsale.html?id=51824. However, I wouldn't be afraid to order direct if there was some advantage.
Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
Personally, I would use one of SIP's authorized US dealers. You can purchase goods from one of them for the same price you'd pay directly to SIP and while you're supporting a stocking dealer in our country, and have someone that's hopefully going to have your back if the part you receive is wrong either through your ignorance or mis-packaging (I experienced this) or a faulty part which several on the forum have experienced not only from SIP, but other vendors. Here's a list of a few vintage contributing dealers that resale SIP goods. I might add that these folks stock lot's of product and have excellent reputations and knowledge of the inner workings of your machine and communicate in fluent english.

www.scooter-speed.com
www.scooterwest.com
www.hodgespeed.com
Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:44 am quote
SIP are good folks.

Got a bad CDI from them for a modern bike so I called them.

They told me don't bother sending it back and mailed a replacement along directly.

The exchange rate rocks right now...

R
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:54 am quote
It looks like scooter-speed also stocks BGM. I wish I'd known that for a BigBox exhaust.

Good to know for next time, though.
Ossessionato
Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:23 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:
It looks like scooter-speed also stocks BGM. I wish I'd known that for a BigBox exhaust.

I'm running one of those on my P2 w/HR Scooter's Alpha motor and it runs really sweet. Mark stocks a lot of product and is a good dude.
Ossessionato
a lambretta or two
Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:53 pm quote
chandlerman wrote:

Jet200 Performance (jet200.com) is the exclusive importer in North America. Anyone else is just a reseller.

I've been using Jet200.com (and Scooter-speed.com for parts not available anywhere else. Nice to have good retailers so close.

https://m.facebook.com/jet200performance/posts/10152998328698890
nothing at all
Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:08 pm quote
Willie B wrote:
good dude.
And a hard worker. Not lazy. And will have your part on your doorstep like............yesterday.
Ossessionato
Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:09 pm quote
SFvsr wrote:
chandlerman wrote:

Jet200 Performance (jet200.com) is the exclusive importer in North America. Anyone else is just a reseller.

I've been using Jet200.com (and Scooter-speed.com for parts not available anywhere else. Nice to have good retailers so close.

He used to be, but not any more, so I've been told. I also see where he's finally starting to stock Vespa products. I was told his earlier reluctance cost the exclusivity he once touted? I don't have a lambretta and really don't give a crap either way. I've also purchased a few items from Jet200 over the years and he seems to be a good Dude.
Hooked
1978 P150X; 1982 P200e
Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:20 pm quote
Love ordering from SIP. Order shows up from Germany (to canada) in four days.
Banned
62vnb , 71 sprint ,1974 vespa90
Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:57 pm quote
Www.scooterspeed.com , they just opened a store so they might have what you need from S.I.P in stock . If not they are very fast with your order , and very proffessional .
Ossessionato
Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:12 pm quote
Antlerdance wrote:
Www.scooterspeed.com , they just opened a store so they might have what you need from S.I.P in stock . If not they are very fast with your order , and very proffessional .
Not sure what's going on, but when I clicked on your link my computer went haywire with a virus alert?
Molto Verboso
1966 Bluebadge, 1974 Super 150
Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:13 pm quote
I don't order from SIP that much, but I'd suggest something like Charles Schwab or a travel credit card. They have better exchange rates and you don't pay the international transaction fee.

I had trouble importing a headlight unit once. The U.S. shops didn't carry the one I wanted. It wasn't impossible, but the package was held by customs for about a week. I had to sign a paper stating that it met DOT requirements. For something like that, better off going US.
Ossessionato
a lambretta or two
Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 pm quote
Willie B wrote:
Antlerdance wrote:
Not sure what's going on, but when I clicked on your link my computer went haywire with a virus alert?
It is because he typed out the link wrong.
Molto Verboso
No moar Vespas...sold them all
Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:36 pm quote
SFvsr wrote:
chandlerman wrote:

Since moving to Denver Jon at Jet200 is one of the nicest, most knowledgable people in the scooter scene I've ever met. HIs skills are impressive and he told me last weekend that they are gonna start doing more BGM stuff for Vespa this year. He's super supportive of the scene here and I'm glad he'll be importing more stuff I can buy from him to support his business. Of course he always mentions I should get a Lambretta so I can buy more stuff from them...we'll see.
Hooked
PX, 1960 150, scrap heaps
Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:53 pm quote
I buy from SIP frequently. It's a great option. My first choice is to order from Scooter Mercato. When I want parts that Mercato does not carry, I use SIP. The prices are good. Shipping is reasonably priced considering it's from Europe. Fed Ex is the shipper I select. I have been billed additional handling charges by UPS in the past once my order arrived.
Hooked
Mid 90's PX177E (Polini) Arcobelano
Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 pm quote
+1 on what Apple said, Scooter Mercato is a good source and they have a SIP order form on their page for any products they do not carry. I have also gotten hassle-free SIP orders through Hodgespeed.
Addicted
Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:17 pm quote
Ace Rimmer wrote:
+1 on what Apple said, Scooter Mercato is a good source and they have a SIP order form on their page for any products they do not carry. I have also gotten hassle-free SIP orders through Hodgespeed.
+2 on what Ace said. If you're not sure about the part your ordering, write down the part number and give scootermercato a call. Some times the part descriptions from SIP are the same for different parts. Also being in Savanah, anything you order directly from scootermercato will be their in a day or two.
bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:19 pm quote
Satisfied SIP-hodge speed customer here.
Addicted
'78, '80 P125X, '80 100 Sport, '74 150 Super
Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:30 pm quote
Re: Ordering from SIP in the USA
ThomasHSB wrote:
Who here has bought parts direct from SIP? They are the only place that seems to list my needed piston. I'm thinking of ordering it along with a stack of other bits but having never bought parts from overseas before am a tad wary of possible troubles.
I have ordered from SIP on *many* occasions. Always goes smoothly EXCEPT if one of the parts you ordered is on backorder (yellow "dot" icon). I.e. only order parts that are definitely in stock (green "dot" icon.)

Shipping can be pricey but also arrives *much* faster than ordering within the US (I live in Seattle). For example, I have placed orders on Sunday night and had it in my hand by Thursday (one time by Wednesday!). So if you *do* order, make sure you order enough stuff to make the shipping worth it. Many things are actually much cheaper on SIP (even with currency conversion) than in the US. And there are many things you can find on SIP that you simply cannot source in the US (or if you do source from a US shop, they most likely get it from SIP or Scooter Center Koeln themselves.)

One thing to be wary of however is duty/customs. It all depends on what you order, what it's made out of, and how the customs office feels that day. I've had orders of over $600 worth of goods with $0 in customs fees. I've had orders with over $1000 worth of goods with only $25 in fees. I've orders that were only $250 but $30 in customs.

When purchasing, I like to use my PayPal account as any time I try and use my bank card or a credit card, the transaction is declined (due to "fraud flag") and I have to call the bank and let them know I am ordering from an overseas company, then go back to the site and try and order again. PayPal never does that to me.

Right now is a great time to order from SIP, by the way, as the Euro is pretty weak. $1.12 USD buys 1 Euro.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette
Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 pm quote
Velasquez wrote:
bloooooody hell, sip to australia takes two weeks, usa to australia takes 4-5 weeks and canadia to australia takes at least 8 weeks last year i spent around 500$ on parts from canada and canadian customs blocked my postage
Hooked
'79 P200E, 2013 Harley Davidson Forty-Eight
Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:40 am quote
I ordered twice directly on the SIP website and both transactions were flawless, frankly better and faster than some US-based companies.
You can order with confidence, these guys are good!
Hooked
1980 p200e, 2005 Stella w/ Sidecar, 2006 Triumph Scrambler
Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:16 am quote
I've had good luck ordering from SIP and the catalog is always welcome.
Addicted
250 Super
Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:36 pm quote
tommylittlescooter wrote:
Sip orders go smooth and even returns go well. Just don't order any ball bearings. US customs does not like ball bearing imports from Germany or so I've heard. Otherwise go ahead with your order. I'm curious if anyone else here has had issues ordering bearings from them.
It's not just ball bearings, it's any kind of bearing. FedEx/Customs will want the actual factory location of each bearing, not just the company headquarters, or at least that's what it took to get some bearings and the whole order I ordered from them released. It took a little back and forth with SIP to get the information, but it eventually worked out.
2007 PX200
Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:50 pm quote
I ordered from SIP and Scooter Center...

From SIP with UPS you have to pay handling fee for the import.
With Scooter-Center and USPS I paid no additional charges and
many products are cheaper...

http://www.scooter-center.com

And they they have now the new BGM Big Box Sport...

http://blog.scooter-center.com/vespa-auspuff-bgm-pro-bigbox-sport-vespa-px200-vespa-rally200/

My 2cents...

Hooked
Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:04 am quote
tarifachris wrote:
I ordered from SIP and Scooter Center...

From SIP with UPS you have to pay handling fee for the import.
With Scooter-Center and USPS I paid no additional charges and
many products are cheaper...

http://www.scooter-center.com

And they they have now the new BGM Big Box Sport...

http://blog.scooter-center.com/vespa-auspuff-bgm-pro-bigbox-sport-vespa-px200-vespa-rally200/

My 2cents...
This pipe is interesting. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:01 am quote
manualshift wrote:
This pipe is interesting. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Those that have them swear by them. Supposedly has some of the best dyno charts out there.

I wanted to order one for my LML rebuild but went with the SIP Road 2.0 instead because I didn't have a US source for the Big Box at the time. I might pick one up and put the SIP on the VBB now that it's a reasonable option.

As to the ball bearings, I got my bearings (and most other poarts) for my LML rebuild from SIP via Rob Hodge. No hassle whatsoever that I'm aware of.
Hooked
Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:18 am quote
The size of the manifold is massive. Considerably larger than the SIP.
I wonder how loud it is ...
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:19 am quote
manualshift wrote:
The size of the manifold is massive. Considerably larger than the SIP.
I wonder how loud it is ...
Can't be that loud. It's street legal in Germany and the UK.

Blake7Even has one on his sleeper. Maybe he'll chime in.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop
Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 am quote
I don't understand why anyone would bother importing from SIP themselves when there are guys like Rob Hodge who regularly bring shipments in from SIP and the shipping is a fraction of what it would be doing it yourself.
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:08 am quote
manualshift wrote:
As to the ball bearings, I got my bearings (and most other poarts) for my LML rebuild from SIP via Rob Hodge. No hassle whatsoever that I'm aware of.
that's just because i make it look easy.

i kid, but only a little. stepping up to doing this via commercial accounts streamlines the process a bit. because i have a history now the customs brokers usually can figure it out from previous orders and worst case scenarios they usually release the package before i get them the required paperwork, speeding things up a bit.

i've refrained from commenting on this thread because i hate to blatantly self-promote, but here it goes.

i started importing parts since i had a commercial account at SIP due to my previous time selling SIP a performance part i designed and had manufactured, and to supply the repair work i do here locally in seattle. My past experience working at Scooterworks, and working with Dave from Scooter Mercado gave me the knowledge base to understand the vespa parts market here in the states better than most, as well as how a mail order operation has typically been run.

the problem i saw was one of 'the long tail' there's a million cool little things for scooters available that you'd never hope to sell even one per year stateside, let alone enough to justify spending the capital to stock your shelves with them, in the oft chance someone might order it. so, i got good software that completely automates the ordering process, folding special orders into a supplier order while tracking every bit of the process. when i place my overseas orders, the computer combines everything my inventory forecasting says i want to have on the shelves (not much, mostly stuff like tubes and fuel taps) along with anything anyone has requested. i can then generate an order file to send to SIP so that everything gets ordered, with next to no human intervention. it's very streamilned, and enables me to easily do multiple overseas orders a week if i need to.

it's just in time ordering for scooter parts, and i've noticed Jet 200 has started to do the same process as well.

in the process of streamlining this i've found every bit that i can to try and cut time and cost off. there's shocking amount of buried costs with ordering direct that most people don't realize.

for example; for security, one person suggests paying via paypal. while this does get you paypal's purchase protection, it comes at a cost. I've found Paypal to be one of the worst payment methods because of very poor currency conversion rates; they charge 2.5% on top of their quoted rate, and the quoted rate tends to vary, usually in their favor. if rates go up, it adjusts quickly, yet seems to be slow to go down when rates fall. i've seen actual rates as high as 4% off of what SIP quotes on their website.

another gotcha is a foreign transaction fee; some banks charge this in addition to a currency conversion rate. it's a percentage point or two, but every bit adds up.

shipping can be expensive, but is nowhere near as bad as it was five or ten years ago. one "Gotcha!" on shipping is that SIP's site quotes shipping by weight; if your package ends up costing more because of measurements, SIP will adjust your charges upward and send the package. iv'e seen this raise the shipping cost $50 from what was quoted occasionally, although it is not usually that bad.

customs duties is a crapshoot, ranging from fee to 4% of the invoice, depending on god knows what, really. it seems a bit random.

customs clearance can be a huge delay, and they bill you for their time.

speaking of billing you for your time, customs brokerage fees. if you have to go back and forth on how that cool plastic dummy bearing you bought to hold the crank in the case while you measure port timings isn't really a bearing, your package will be held the whole time while you go back and forth on the phone, and you will get charged more money for each day and phone call. (been there, now have a $60 dummy bearing)

granted, it is WAY easier to go direct than it was ten years ago, but it can still be a hassle and you never end up paying just what SIP says on their website.

I do do custom special orders via my website. just punch any SIP part# into the website and you can get them sent to me from Germany via a weekly (sometimes more often than weekly) consolidated order sent via red label express UPS, then UPS ground from seattle to you. you only pay the UPS ground charges from seattle to you. turnaround from you placing the order to having it on your doorstep is 2-4 weeks. this depends on where your order falls in the order cycle, and any customs hicups or holidays (german or US).

it's not as fast as direct, true. but some find having someone to handle issues and give you advice stateside along with the lower cost to be worthwhile. some also like knowing exactly what they are paying up front.

my website is www.hodgespeed.com, and yes, it still needs work. i hope to soon have my website reflect not only my inventory levels, but SIP's as well. i'm still categorizing things, so the search box is your friend.

I'd like you to order from me; it's nice to get support back from a community i've been involved with since the 90's, but i won't be offended if you don't. there's alot of good companies out there selling parts, after all. each has their upsides and downsides.

Rob Hodge
Hooked
Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:02 am quote
Blunt question. I'm closer to Atlanta than Seattle. Any advantage to ordering from you as opposed to Scooter Mercado?
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 pm quote
ThomasHSB wrote:
Blunt question. I'm closer to Atlanta than Seattle. Any advantage to ordering from you as opposed to Scooter Mercado?
price, including shipping costs and sales tax would be one thing, but price comparisons aside (because i haven't done any in a while) it would pretty much boil down to if Dave has it on hand.

if he does, he'd obviously have it to you faster; my special order system is a bit more streamlined and because i use SIP for all my parts rather than sourcing from manufacturers in taiwan, Italy, and india as Dave does I probably order more often from SIP than he does, decreasing turn around.

He focuses more on common items, things he can buy a hundred of at a great price and then ship cheaply on the slow boat, then sell them off over the period of a several months to a year. because of that he has piles of stuff like cruciforms and bearing sets on the shelf. I carry much less inventory, focusing on getting things ordered by customers quickly rather than forecasting what people will buy and purchasing six months to a year out.

because of these different business models, he has quicker availability on common things, and longer turn around times on special orders. i have about the same turn around time on anything (within reason) regardless of if it is a p200 cruciform (common) , or that weird lever screw used on only 1958 and 1959 split headset VNA's (less common).

Dave runs a good shop; we both worked at Scooterworks in Chicago at the same time for a while and I almost moved to Atlanta to work for him in the late 2000's. When i was out of work he hired me to write all the product descriptions and 'fits this model' database when he transitioned from being wholesale only to retail mail order. I've got nothing but respect for him and he has carved out quite a loyal customer base.
Hooked
Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:13 pm quote
Thank you for your straight forward answer. FWIW I've heard (read?) nothing but good about either of y'all.
Hooked
1980 P200e

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:12 pm quote
Another vote for ordering through Rob Hodge. I didn't order performance stuff, but they were those things-you-dont-stock that Rob referred to in his post (a bench seat and a shiny backrest/rack thing I couldn't find in the US). I got them in about a week. The seat was defective, but Rob dealt with the exchange and got a good one back to me quick.

I paid the same as SIP's website price and only paid shipping from Seattle to CA. Rob gave me an accurate estimate in advance. (it was an oversize box; as Rob said in his post, you can get under-quoted for big boxes if you just use SIP's online shipping calculator.)

As someone already said on this thread, keep our US scooter-ist shops in business. Buy thru Hodgespeed or another US shop and you pay the same as ordering direct (and probably save on shipping) AND the retail markup goes to a US scooterist shop. (SIP will survive, don't worry)
Addicted
Too Many
Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:00 pm quote
My husband and I are just north of Seattle. We order from SIP a lot.... how else would we keep all these bikes running and yes almost all do run or will run real soon. We place the order on a Saturday or Sunday and the SIP order arrives by the next Friday so that we can begin working on them that weekend! I think we had maybe two issues and they were so long ago that my memory of them is a bit fuzzy. We did order bearings and one time we had a conversation about the purpose of them. The other issue was regarding the euro tail light for one of my bikes. I don't remember a lot about why they held that up, we buy bulbs and I just bought a headlamp fixture for the little red v90 without an issue. Every once in a while we have customs fees. More often than not lately they charge us. The customs fees is trivial in the scheme of things though. That is my 2
Sun May 02, 2021 5:13 am quote
Velasquez wrote:
New to the Vespa world and looking to accessorize a new to me Primavera. Prices look good, especially given limited options in Canada. Any idea which shipping option is best for Canada, i.e. to avoid any nasty surprise fees like brokerage fees?
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '65 VBB, '66 180SS
Sun May 02, 2021 4:32 pm quote
" (it was an oversize box; as Rob said in his post, you can get under-quoted for big boxes if you just use SIP's online shipping calculator.)

"Yup. just happened to me on a seat.
Mon May 03, 2021 2:28 am quote
Moto64 wrote:
" (it was an oversize box; as Rob said in his post, you can get under-quoted for big boxes if you just use SIP's online shipping calculator.)

"Yup. just happened to me on a seat.
How would they charge you additional shipping fees after you have paid?
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
[ Time: 0.0446s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0250s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]