@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
So last week the bracket that holds my AK to the scooter fell off. Bracket, bolt and washer gone. Just got a response from them with a link to the schematic http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapovicbppmultimedia/24a7eea2432e4fd1b82ad2b949a1e4a9_Generated.pdf

But I have the older one. http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapovicbppmultimedia/75e37f476ce04e1caa0cb3e7d89a0bc7.pdf

These are the parts I need.
Bracket SS = P-X116
Washer = P-DR4
Screw = P-FB64

First question is P-X116 a replacement for the original P-X69?

If so who has a good source for this?
P-X116
P-X116
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
yup its the new style and it will work just fine.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
You can make your one its cheaper just bent a piece of matal in that shape drill a hole and put a nut behind
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Maksor would be absolutely correct, but lemme go one further
Serendipity as it would work, the bracket on mine (AK) went LOOSE last week, but I didn't even have the bracket in thanks to my less than competent Vespa/Piaggio service center (which is actually a Triumph dealer). I basically had a wing nut holding the bolt in. Stupidly, not thinking about it, I should have put some thread lock on it given the road/motor/exhaust vibrations that the bike has to deal with.

Because of the looseness of the wing nut, the AK must have rattled around until finally, my header pipe cracked, and then basically just completely severed at the collar. The bike went to completely embarrassing, annoying loud from its former sounding like a bad ass Harley loud. Razz emoticon

I'm actually RIGHT NOW doing the work on my header pipe and the modified bracket that I somehow found lying around the garage. And no, it's not actually a real bracket.

I went searching around the net for a replacement bracket, but after about an hour of using my friend, Google (as OAD puts it), I gave up.

I then went around the garage for odds and ends parts to see if I could construct a make-shift bracket that would offer just as good support, if not better, without having to be a professional steel bender to make my own custom one.

So here's what I discovered after 15 minutes of searching the garage.

As soon as my eyes feasted on it, I literally could see (envision) a match to the internal architecture where the AK bracket would fit. And get this...

It happened to be a Curtain Rod bracket that ended up being the victim of this make-shift setup.

Let's just go to the pictures for further visuals (I'll do another post with pics so I don't lose this text)...
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Akrapovic Muffler Make-Shift Bracket for Top Bolt
Here's a pic depicting the curtain rod bracket and the modified one that I basically cut off at the end so it wouldn't stick out toward the rear tire.

What you are seeing in the modified one is actually TWO curtain rods, one inside the other just for a little extra reinforcement.

Mind you, these are pretty heavy duty (not extra heavy duty) curtains rods and I think any ordinary guy with ordinary strength would be somewhat challenged to bend this with his own strength. So they aren't flimsy by any stretch of the imagination.

But as a caveat and just to be sure, I doubled up on the rods, one inside the other.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
I basically took some pliers and squeezed one of the hooks a wee bit (1/8 of an inch) so that one loop would fit within the other rod.
I basically took some pliers and squeezed one of the hooks a wee bit (1/8 of an inch) so that one loop would fit within the other rod.
Here's a close up of the fit.
Here's a close up of the fit.
I then drilled a hole just barely the size of the original AK top bracket bolt so there would not be ANY play just in case the new nut came a little loose.
I then drilled a hole just barely the size of the original AK top bracket bolt so there would not be ANY play just in case the new nut came a little loose.
Finally, to top this excellent makeshift bracket, I bought an M8-1.25 MM Lock Nut with Nylon so the darn thing doesn't come loose again!
Finally, to top this excellent makeshift bracket, I bought an M8-1.25 MM Lock Nut with Nylon so the darn thing doesn't come loose again!
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Either way, I hope that helps SF, because this forum has given me SO MUCH over the years (that I have taken silently without much acknowledgment) that I am wholly grateful to give back what I could.

It just so happened that the same thing happened to me just recently.

And since I already mentioned it, might as well express my gratitude owed to:

OAD
Pnydrvr
BubbaJon
MJMcal50
Maksor
and many others

I would rather spend two days suffering on getting a darn header pipe nut out rather than put my dearly beloved MP3 500 in the hands of a Piaggio/Vespa dealer (only one in Las Vegas, NV) that has shown itself to be less than competent and cost me hundreds in fixing what should have been regular maintenance.

And now, a deep cleansing breath... Razz emoticon
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
Sticky,

MotorcycleWorks in California is a BIG dealer for Akropovic. Best thing is that they are right next door to Ak. I have always recieved good service and quick response from them. Pricing seemed to be the same no matter where I inquired.

The newer bracket as you have pictured is a must.

Ponydrvr
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
talktojim wrote:
.... "I would rather spend two days suffering on getting a darn header pipe nut out rather than put my dearly beloved MP3 500 in the hands of a Piaggio/Vespa dealer (only one in Las Vegas, NV) that has shown itself to be less than competent and cost me hundreds in fixing what should have been regular maintenance."
WARNING: Failure to properly secure the front end of the MP3 could pose a serious safety hazard if it falls on you .

The method to get at the header nuts is:
1. Use the center stand for initial support. tie down the front so it is stationary.
2. Place a floor jack under the center cross member only lifting enough to raise the centerstand.
3. Using the hydraulic jack, allow he bike to lower just enough to bring the tire to the floor or table top. This will allow removal of both lower bolts attaching the shocks. The rear wheel will now be on the floor or table of your lift.
4. Lift the MP3 with the floor jack until the swingarm lowers enough to permit a direct socket application.
5. You may find it necessary to use a rust penetration product and allow it to set for some time before the nuts will come loose from the header studs.
6. Problem solved! Reverse the order to reassemble.

WARNING: Failure to properly secure the front end of the MP3 could pose a serious safety hazard if it falls on you .
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
Talktojim, your bracket is a creative solution and will probably perform as intended, but I'm not sure about that nyloc nut. The high temperature from the muffler might destroy the nylon part, and then the nut can vibrate off. You might be better off with a washer, lock washer, and regular nut.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Re: Akrapovic Muffler Make-Shift Bracket for Top Bolt
talktojim wrote:
Here's a pic depicting the curtain rod bracket and the modified one that I basically cut off at the end so it wouldn't stick out toward the rear tire.

What you are seeing in the modified one is actually TWO curtain rods, one inside the other just for a little extra reinforcement.

Mind you, these are pretty heavy duty (not extra heavy duty) curtains rods and I think any ordinary guy with ordinary strength would be somewhat challenged to bend this with his own strength. So they aren't flimsy by any stretch of the imagination.

But as a caveat and just to be sure, I doubled up on the rods, one inside the other.
Nice fabrication there.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
ponydrvr wrote:
Sticky,

MotorcycleWorks in California is a BIG dealer for Akropovic. Best thing is that they are right next door to Ak. I have always recieved good service and quick response from them. Pricing seemed to be the same no matter where I inquired.

The newer bracket as you have pictured is a must.

Ponydrvr
Thanks R.
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Good lookin out - ponydrvr and ramblerdan.

HEADER PIPE REMOVAL: Already beyond the removal of nuts on headerpipe -- and just now working on putting the newly ordered header pipe. Rust penetration soak was on there for days since I initially tried getting at it -- so it came off pretty easy earlier this AM. The scooter already fell on me the other day, yet I still have movement on at least one part of my body so I can put the new header pipe back on. (Just kidding) Unfortunately, I don't have any jacks and very little time to get it done, back on the road and head off to my culinary edu-ma-cation.

Someone had mentioned using grease on the copper header pipe nuts so it's easier to get off -- but it seems that it could get jarred loose easier. Thoughts on this?

Ponydrvr: It looks like you've moved up to a two wheel -- no more MP3 400?

NYLON NUT: Good point ramblerdan. Guess I'm going to have to go with a lock washer instead. Didn't think that through with the heat transfer.

Just wish I had got the MotorcycleWorks info earlier so I could have ordered a bracket.

Gonna have to check every couple of miles to make sure everything stays intact at least on the muffler end. I can't afford right now to go through another header pipe.
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Universal Joint Cracks and Halts Header Pipe
While we strayed off topic here with the header pipe installation, I secured one copper nut on the header pipe and, as I was finishing the tightening process, the universal joint got stuck between header pipe and that narrow space in the hole where the pipe goes up into the engine. And that now ends my repair until I get a skinnier extension and new universal joint. Bummer -- won't make it anywhere today. Yet, I am not defeated!!!
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
I've seen exhaust manifold studs with brass nuts before, though they're usually longer so as to spread out the force over a larger area vs. steel. If the studs are long enough and longer nuts don't create an access problem, go for it. You'll still have lock washers on them. One thing I would avoid, though, is copper anti-seize paste (not that anyone recommended it) because of the heat and also because it throws off torque settings.
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Hot Yoga Sweat Session with my MP3
After what seemed like a Hot Yoga Session with the temp cranked up to 105 in a room (mainly, my garage) and shedding at least a pound of sweat, I got the two nuts on the studs -- just as they were before with no chemicals whatsoever.

I was trying to get out the door by 9:00 a.m. with the scoot and then the only universal joint just up and broke.

Just now back from the tool shop with three new extensions and ended up getting a set of black IMPACT universal joints that tend to last way longer than the chrome ones -- hence the caps on IMPACT.

More importantly, I got 1/4" to 1/4" extensions rather than a 1/2" to 3/8" which made the extension posts way too wide for me to have any wiggle room to do any sly maneuvering to secure the two manifold bolts.

We'll see if it can endure this and I can be back to the ol' annoying Akrapovic sound versus the no muffler sound that made everyone look at me.
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Lemme know SF
Stickyfrog -- if you wouldn't mind letting me know once you successfully order a bracket from an Akropovic dealer, their contact info and the damage on one of those -- appreciate it.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Re: Lemme know SF
talktojim wrote:
Stickyfrog -- if you wouldn't mind letting me know once you successfully order a bracket from an Akropovic dealer, their contact info and the damage on one of those -- appreciate it.
I will. I have an inquiry in to the dealer ponydrvr recommended. I will post the info when they answer.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Re: Akrapovic Muffler Make-Shift Bracket for Top Bolt
talktojim wrote:

Nylocs don't last long in hot areas, it's Nylons which Melts
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
talktojim wrote:
.... Ponydrvr: It looks like you've moved up to a two wheel -- no more MP3 400? ....
Yup, no more MP3 400 in the stable. I bought the CTX 700D February of 2014. I sold the MP3 to Hollybry just across the river from me and a friend.

I needed a bigger ride for the longer trips I tend to take. I already have slightly more than 25,000 miles on the CTX.
@talktojim avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500

@talktojim avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Thx Sticky!

Well -- the curtain rod affixing the top bracket of the Akra is on!

Header pipe also bolted down and test drove it today. Feels honestly better than when the dealer put the darn thing on -- like a brand new bike and I wouldn't be surprised if I was riding around with a broken header pipe for a good couple of months before noticing.

Nothing like a broken header pipe to make you super-conscious of tapping the muffler to make sure it's still snug.

In fact, I didn't think about it until I actually put the Akra back on after having the header pipe fit just snugly enough for it to not fall down with the nuts on the bracket, but not torqued yet.

And then it came to me.

I put the Akra on with a little bit of play on the header pipe so the header pipe was perfectly aligned and in the position that the Akra was locked down tight on both of its brackets. And THEN I tightened up the header pipe.

I don't even think that the tech at the Vespa/Piaggio dealer loosened up the header pipe to match the angle of the Akra when he replaced the stock muffler can.

Cuz last I recall, when I took off the Akra a couple of times, I had to put a little tension on the header pipe (1/4 to 1/2 inch) when re-bolting the Akra to the brackets. And that little bit of tension could have easily wore down the header pipe until it got a hole and then finally snapped when one of the Akra bolts on the top bracket was loose.

Anywho -- just talking out loud, but that's a distinction that could save someone a header pipe. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Either way -- a bit challenging on replacing that header pipe when you don't have the right tools right away, but with all y'all posts in this great place, I believe I saved myself a good $300 - $400 dollars not having to pay my incompetent Vespa/Piaggio Authorized service center at the rate of $105 per hour labor.

Oh, and I did the header pipe without having to strip off ANY plastics -- holla!
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Hmmm still haven't heard back from them. I will try calling later.
UTC

Hooked
2013 Honda NC700XD; 2014 Honda Forza 300

Hooked
2013 Honda NC700XD; 2014 Honda Forza 300
UTC quote
Sticky,you have the correct part numbers and picture in your first post.

Cal Akrapovic America in Irvine, CA at 949-679-3491 and speak with either Tanya, Nicole or Michael on the motorcycle side and ask if they have the parts in stock. They cannot sell you the parts, but Motorcyle Works can. They used to be located next door to Akrapovic American, but I now believe the are in Las Vages.

Get their phone number from Akrap America and call them to order the part, you can tell them that you have already check on the availability of that part set (they usually do not have this in stock, but get directly from Akrap Am).

I have done this several time for that part and for an exhaust for my Cannonball BV250.

See you in September!
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@eakins avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350

Hooked
@eakins avatar
2016 BV350
UTC quote
I just ordered the new updated part from Revzilla:

Item# 1010032
Akrapovic P-X116 Fitting Kit Nosi. SS 0 93 94/3 D10 Sest
$54.95

I bought the bracket only thinking the existing original bolt and washer will fit.
If not, off to the hardware store.
I sure hope this brackets holds tighter into the frame so the muffler holds tighter. Looks like it should. I'll have the orig avail if anyone needs one in a pinch.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@eakins avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350

Hooked
@eakins avatar
2016 BV350
UTC quote
took about 20 days or so for Revzilla to get me this piece.

much better design than the original because the new part has those side bars that fit in with the oem bracket design.
when I used the original bracket, the muffler would still rock slightly when mounted. now it pulls rock solid again the rear tire bracket and the muffler does not move at all!

i also noticed my oem tire bracket has a small stress crack right where the muffler hanger meets the thinnest rear metal on the bracket. the old design allowed all the load to be pulled into that thin wheel bracket area but with the new design the load is now in those post areas deeper inside the wheel bracket.

this is a MUST for any Akra pipe users!
@eakins avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350

Hooked
@eakins avatar
2016 BV350
UTC quote
LM15 wrote:
Sticky,you have the correct part numbers and picture in your first post.

Cal Akrapovic America in Irvine, CA at 949-679-3491 and speak with either Tanya, Nicole or Michael on the motorcycle side and ask if they have the parts in stock. They cannot sell you the parts, but Motorcyle Works can. They used to be located next door to Akrapovic American, but I now believe the are in Las Vages.

Get their phone number from Akrap America and call them to order the part, you can tell them that you have already check on the availability of that part set (they usually do not have this in stock, but get directly from Akrap Am).

I have done this several time for that part and for an exhaust for my Cannonball BV250.

See you in September!
Akra USA was not very helpful nor was any other sub-supplier to me. Only Revzilla came thru and made it happen and quickly.

When I get nowhere, I just email Revzilla and said I need this Akra part and they created a special order for me asap. Since they now have extra stock it's on their website for direct order.
⚠️ Last edited by Eakins on UTC; edited 1 time
@eakins avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350

Hooked
@eakins avatar
2016 BV350
UTC quote
Here is the direct order. Looks like they ordered 1 additional when the special ordered mine.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/akrapovic-p-x116-fitting-kit-nosi-ss-0-93-943-d10-

If it's back-ordered just commit as they will get more fast!

ps I reused the bolt and washer that came with original. fit great.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
ponydrvr wrote:
talktojim wrote:
.... "I would rather spend two days suffering on getting a darn header pipe nut out rather than put my dearly beloved MP3 500 in the hands of a Piaggio/Vespa dealer (only one in Las Vegas, NV) that has shown itself to be less than competent and cost me hundreds in fixing what should have been regular maintenance."

The method to get at the header nuts is:
1. Use the center stand for initial support. tie down the front so it is stationary.
2. Place a floor jack under the center cross member only lifting enough to raise the centerstand.
3. Using the hydraulic jack, allow he bike to lower just enough to bring the tire to the floor or table top. This will allow removal of both lower bolts attaching the shocks. The rear wheel will now be on the floor or table of your lift.
4. Lift the MP3 with the floor jack until the swingarm lowers enough to permit a direct socket application.
5. You may find it necessary to use a rust penetration product and allow it to set for some time before the nuts will come loose from the header studs.
6. Problem solved! Reverse the order to reassemble.

Going to save these notes, I assume the same for the MP3/500 Sport with similar body style. I have not had the need yet, but maybe in the future.
The MP3/250 is so much easier to get the the Header Pipe with a wobble socket.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.7143s ][ Queries: 31 (0.6640s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]