@chilidog avatar
UTC

Hooked
'75 VBC Super

Hooked
@chilidog avatar
'75 VBC Super
UTC quote
So I wasn't sure if I should attach my question to an existing 3 year old post or start a new one.

Before I send my frame for final paint, I am looking for advice on the best way to reshape the fork stops in the frame. The stops on the fork are clean but in the frame I have the left side opened up to allow the fork to turn 90 degrees.

First of all- what are the concerns if I don't fix this... like is there a risk that I could jack-knife pretty easily? Has anyone had that experience while driving?

Secondly- if I were to fix this, I don't see a good way reshaping the stop in the frame without doing some damage to the horn cowl. Anyone have some experience that could lend some advice?

Thanks-
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
When I had the same problem I was able to fix w/o danger of mangling the horncast

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
I removed the fork to facilitate the cable running up front and also tweak the fork stop which was just missing the lug until I tapped it in about 1/8". Rust proofed up in there good as well while I was in there.

Post a pic of yours, maybe it's not so easy to get at. A long strong lever & the right fulcrum location might be needed to pry the stop back towards the center if you can't smack it w/ a punch from the front like this one.
OP
@chilidog avatar
UTC

Hooked
'75 VBC Super

Hooked
@chilidog avatar
'75 VBC Super
UTC quote
Fork Stop Reshaping
So I see that your setup is a lot different than mine. My frame is a Super. I can't figure out what year it is as the VIN was mostly sanded off but I believe it is a '75. I tried to get a cold punch in there and bang on it but I can't get it to hold. I really don't want to drill any holes in the horn cowl for access, as I know it will never be the same afterwards. -thanks for sharing
You can see on the right side how the stop flares out.
You can see on the right side how the stop flares out.
again- flare out on the right side
again- flare out on the right side
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
GS160

Hooked
GS160
UTC quote
I had some material TIG-welded on the fork.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Try this?
Your oldest really big screwdriver or similar and hit it around the red X roughly in the direction of the arrow, careful smacks w/ a big hammer until it looks like the other side.
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette
UTC quote
i can think of a couple possible ways but ill leave it to you mate

where theres a will theres a way
@warhorse avatar
UTC

Hooked
'80 Bajaj chetak, '05 LML

Hooked
@warhorse avatar
'80 Bajaj chetak, '05 LML
UTC quote
A piece of steel flat bar with a slot cut in the end. Use it from below to grip the rim and bend to correct shape. Good luck.
OP
@chilidog avatar
UTC

Hooked
'75 VBC Super

Hooked
@chilidog avatar
'75 VBC Super
UTC quote
Warhorse wrote:
A piece of steel flat bar with a slot cut in the end. Use it from below to grip the rim and bend to correct shape. Good luck.
Warhorse- thank you for the advice. I went down to the local hardware store and bought some flat bar and cut a slot like you said. It worked perfectly. I was able to slowly reshape the stop a little at a time without damaging anything else. I was doing some research online and came across a video from the Scooter West guys. They mentioned to actually cut a hole in the horn cowl to be able to bang it back into shape. If they only knew...

One thing I will call out. It is important to try and keep the slot opening as tight as possible when working it over the steel of the stop material. If the slot is too large it begins to round edges when you don't want them to.

On a final note- is there a post that has all the tools created by folks and what they were used for? If not, I am thinking that this would be a really handy post that would be referred to often.
fork stop reshaping tool
fork stop reshaping tool
back to the correct shape
back to the correct shape
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Great work! I need to look at the fork stop on my ET3 - low priority right now, but it does flop in one direction without stopping

you might share your tool in this thread, btw
Random tricks, share your best little tips & shortcuts
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
Nice work Chilidog and Warhorse. Top marks.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Reviving this thread to give a shout out to Warhorse for the tip. We have literally the identical issue on the yellow Super we're building... same exact shaped little tweak, in exactly the same place.

I'm thinking it might be a manufacturing quirk, but maybe something else is up. Looks like the frame stop itself is about 5-10mm short, and as a result, the fork stop doesn't make full contact. Anybody else run into this?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

15 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

15 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
I fixed the stop on my VBB with the big-ass screwdriver method on Saturday. Total pain in the ass, but it worked just fine once I was willing to hit it hard enough...
@dcunited4life avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No moar Vespas...sold them all

Molto Verboso
@dcunited4life avatar
No moar Vespas...sold them all
UTC quote
The stop on my GL has been reshaped with the screwdriver method, that steel bar has got to be the better way to do this though. Good suggestion!
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Would someone out there mind measuring the frame stop on their Rally, Sprint or Super?

The geometry's off somewhere on yellow and I'm trying to figure out exactly where.

Thanks, much appreciated.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]