UTC

Molto Verboso
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
UTC quote
Hey, all-

I ordered some adhesive reflective striping from StreetGlo online. I got a roll of 1/2-inch (12 mm) and a roll of 1-inch (25 mm) white/silver reflective stripes. They were applied using the "dry" method, which is directly onto the paint of the scoot. The wet method utilizes spraying a weak soap and water solution onto the area, then laying the stripes on the wet area.

I have no "before" pics, since our camera was hosed while I applied the stripes. Here are the after results:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black 2007 LX 150, Crhome Kit, Flyscreen...more to come...

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
THOSE ARE SWEET!!!

I want to get some sort of reflective striping done since I do commute at night.

I wasn't sure if I wanted black or white tape...damn, the white looks NICE!!!
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Very sweet look!! I have to ask how hard is that to do? I have some reflective black/white checks, and that would look so nice, Beale.
OP
@zwerski avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
UTC quote
Well, let's just say that it was a good thing that it comes in 37.5 foot rolls. This particular stuff is very thin and DOES NOT STRETCH. I had to learn how to pull the stripes tight without distorting the tape, as it had a tendency to stretch and in doing so, become narrower where it was abused. It was way easier to do the side cowlings, which I did first, than it was to do the horn cover and legshield. I removed the horn cover on my second attempt at striping the front, and it was much easier that way. Also, smoothing out any trapped air bubbles is important and takes some finesse. Rubbing the not-quite-stuck-on tape would pull and distort the tape, and trying to push bubbles out to the edge only resulted in stretched tape. All this was outlined in StreetGlo's documentation.

If I were to do it again, I would take my time and do the wet method. StreetGlo has excellent (in my opinion) online and paper documentation on how to install the products they sell using either method.

And, thanks for the kind comments. I was nervous about the job, but I am happy with it.
@aidan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005

Enthusiast
@aidan avatar
Vespa LX50 2005
UTC quote
Whats the website, would love to get some black ones...

How did you do over the badge and over the horn cover?
@sarah avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Stella

Molto Verboso
@sarah avatar
Stella
UTC quote
That looks really really nice...good job!
OP
@zwerski avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
UTC quote
Aidan wrote:
Whats the website, would love to get some black ones...
http://www.streetglo.net/reflective.tape/

I used 1/2-inch and one-inch wide tape laid out in a two-inch wide pattern. I left a half-inch space between the two widths of tape.

Also, they have black reflective tape, which, as you probably know from your checkers, kicks back reflected light just as brightly as the silver/white stuff I have.
Aidan wrote:
How did you do over the badge and over the horn cover?
For the horn cover, I measured and marked where I would want all the tape to go, and paid close attention to where it would transition from the horn cover to the metal on the leg sheild. Then I took the entire plate off and taped that, going right over the louvered slots over the actual horn. Then I carefully slit the tape in each slot in the louver, leaving the appropriate amount of overlap for each one. It took some time, but it was worth it. Once the horn cover whas re-attached and secured with the screw, I went about taping the length from the horn cover, on down under the curve of the leg shield, between the shield and the front fender.

For the badge, I simply took off the plastic Piaggio badge, since I had to in order to get the horn cover off, and laid the tape right over the raised rectangle, and over the hexagonal cut-out for the mounting screw. I cut the tape out where it overlapped the hole, but just smoothed over the raised area, since the tape is really flexible.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Holy cow, that looks FANTASTIC! Reflective or not, those stripes look absolutely killer on against the black paint - amazing job you did! Clap emoticon Clap emoticon Clap emoticon Clap emoticon Clap emoticon

@italianscoots avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"

Molto Verboso
@italianscoots avatar
2015 Primavera Montebianco "Falcor"
UTC quote
Looks great!!!

Mel
@apziskin avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@apziskin avatar
ET4
UTC quote
ditto . . . that looks really sharp!
@aidan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005

Enthusiast
@aidan avatar
Vespa LX50 2005
UTC quote
Do you think if I do the same thing in black tape it would be over kill?
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
If that is your bike with the checkerboard...maybe.

I personally want them because:
A. They look smart. I mean seriously killer!
B. Functionally the reflective tape helps you be more visible.

To me the look is 2ndary to function in this case though. I personally commute at night from my 2nd job back home. ANYTHING to help raise my visibility on the road is +1.

I think black stripes against the silver bike would look sharp as well (Of course I AM a Raider fan...)
@aidan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005

Enthusiast
@aidan avatar
Vespa LX50 2005
UTC quote
Yeah the checkered stickers i put on are also reflective...just not sure if I also put just black reflective tape down the middle also. I don't have anything on the sides or front wheel though which I was thinking either checkered or just black tape.... Could be overkill and not look right...

What does everyone else think?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
1 strip that you splice in a Y on the front fender.

I think up the middle/horn cover might be overkill...unless it's another checkerboard (Still slightly overkill) but would then look/match the checkerboard strip on your seat.

In the end it's your bike and your choice. If your still cool with the checkboard theme, I don't think that would be too bad or overkill on the Cowls/Rear of the bike for again added visibility/continuity of a theme.

I like how you already have a good theme going on with the leg shield. I just thought some reflective checkerboards on the fender split into a Y would look PIMPTASTIC! Possible contrast is the white reflective cherboard pattern on the cowls/rear of the bike.

OR

On the cowls the white checkerboard then on the rear you use the black...or...

Jesus I've been watching WAY too much HGTV with my wife!!!
@aidan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005

Enthusiast
@aidan avatar
Vespa LX50 2005
UTC quote
Thats my helmet near the rear of my bike...not my seat... Was thinking of not having anymore checkered stickers and just going for the 2 black strips up the middle and also on the sides and front guard... Man I need to be a pro on Photoshop to do a dumby image to see what it looks like..

Could always try it and if it look naff, pull them off!!! argh!!!
OP
@zwerski avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
UTC quote
Aidan wrote:
What does everyone else think?
Here. I attempted to chop it:

Might be overkill, but it could work. My instinct would be to go reflective, it is a bit safer and more visible. It should match the checkers, though. They should both be either reflective or regular.
@aidan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005

Enthusiast
@aidan avatar
Vespa LX50 2005
UTC quote
Thanks for that Zwerski...torn now. Its some ways it is over the top but other part of me, says to try it and it might work....decisions decisions!!

Agree, need to get reflective too to match other stickers...
OP
@zwerski avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
UTC quote
Here's how I looked at the stripes: If I crap out and do a sucky job, hey, they're only stickers, right? I can pull them off and forget it or do something else.

Originally, I could not decide on how long the cowl stripes should be. I modeled them going all along the cowl starting at the rear light and continuing on to the side of the front fender. In the end, "less is more" won out.

I say continue the checkers along the cowls. That motif is already on the scoot and your helmet, why change now? If you have to hem and haw about it, it's probably overkill. Stick with understated elegance.

Again, if the checkers don't float your boat, you can always take them off. Either that, or get another scoot and have one with stripes and one with checkers! I think the checkers are a classy throwback to the old-skool days of scooting. And, you've proven you can do a great checker job on your ride. Whatever you decide, just be sure to post pictures of the finished product so we can all fawn over your skills!

Ugh. Here's my feeble attempt at PhotoChopping a single row of checkers on your scoot:

And one with my version of the stripe:
⚠️ Last edited by Zwerski on UTC; edited 1 time
@aidan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa LX50 2005

Enthusiast
@aidan avatar
Vespa LX50 2005
UTC quote
What do you think I should do on the cowls and the front fender?
@sethwas avatar
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo

Hooked
@sethwas avatar
Aprilia Scarabeo
UTC quote
I think you should just checker only the center where the horn/insignia is. Leave the rest as paint.
If you want more you can checker diagonally one half of the entire front section. like / but covering everything below and leaving out what's above (or vice versa).
In both cases you should not do anything to the fender over the front wheel.

Seth
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
I have to chime in and say that I just had an excellent experience with StreetGlo. Very, very good customer service. I highly recommend them!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1102s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0750s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]