OP
UTC

79' P200E

79' P200E
UTC quote
Okay so, I drive my scooter to school and work 3-4 times a week. Everything has been fine aside from a few minor things here and there, but there was an issue today.

I hit a bump and my spark plug flew out. I pulled over and got a ride to work and then I revisited the scooter about 4 hours later. I bought some new plugs with me to try to replace the maimed plug.

Everything went together tight and I kicked the hell out of it and it wouldn't start. I re-tuned my carburetor and still nothing. So I ran up this apartment complex's hill and after 5 times, it bump started, I kept the revs up and got it home.

By the time I got home, the idle would keep itself alive, so I assumed everything might have worked itself out. I turned the key off, stopped the engine, and with a hot engine, kicked it and nothing. (normally it would fire straight up).

Also, in other news, the headlight stopped working again (I had this problem before and just charged the battery and everything worked out but it isn't working).

ANYTHING HELPS. PLEASE SOS.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
It's always hard to diagnose online. But - are you getting spark when it doesn't want to start?
@alanmac avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint

Molto Verboso
@alanmac avatar
'74 Rally, '72 Sprint
UTC quote
Re: 79' P200e Please Diagnose My Symptoms!!!!
nickkpak wrote:
I hit a bump and my spark plug flew out.
How the hell does this happen???
nickkpak wrote:
I re-tuned my carburetor and still nothing.
What does this mean?
nickkpak wrote:
and with a hot engine, kicked it and nothing. (normally it would fire straight up).
Check your plug now. Is it wet, i.e. is the bike flooded? Could be that your float / needle / something got banged out from that "bump". Given somehow your sparkplug flew out it must have been a hell of a bump! But as almogaver asks, check spark etc first. Then some more info would be handy.

you also mention that you had to keep the revs up? Was it wanting to stall the entire way home?
OP
UTC

79' P200E

79' P200E
UTC quote
almogavar1969 I honestly don't know. How can I tell?

AlanMac The head is a bit stripped, but it would get loose, not pop out. It has never done this before.

I adjusted the idle set and mixture screw.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Pull the plug out, attach cap back on it, ground out electrode to engine case, turn on ignition and kick it over. If you see a spark then you know your ignition is giving spark
@bigben avatar
UTC

Evil
p2, jet2, lml166

Evil
@bigben avatar
p2, jet2, lml166
UTC quote
a) you're lucky you didn't strip all the threads on your head when your spark plug came out. my bike freaked out on me in NYC a few weeks back and I had to turn it off by unscrewing the plug and did infact strip the head threads. luckily for me, I have a spare head, an spare entire engine for that fact.

b) "rent" a voltometer and a compression tester from Pep Boys and check both. You may have a bad coil in your stator. I have a flywheel puller if needed, but do voltage tests to see what your CDI

heres a resource to read on the readings you should have and what they mean: whats the electric output on a p200 stator with polini 210

if readings are off, you may have to send out to get rewired/the coil replaced and ScooterMercato can do the work. do NOT send it to Gickspeed, he'll send your wires back all the same color.
⚠️ Last edited by bigben on UTC; edited 1 time
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
if your plug popped out due to loose threading your compression may be balls. I agree with others - check for spark when it won't start, and check compression (preferably when warm if you CAN get it to start, but cold is better than nothing)
OP
UTC

79' P200E

79' P200E
UTC quote
So there is definitely power going to the spark. The compression is also fine.

I did ride the scooter home after bump starting it for about 7-8 miles.

I'll check the reading on the stator now
@bigben avatar
UTC

Evil
p2, jet2, lml166

Evil
@bigben avatar
p2, jet2, lml166
UTC quote
the readings themselves can be specific. if its a low reading of compression, it can mean X or Y. Same goes with the voltage coming off the spark plug and stator wires. The figures are helpful.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
I am going to be very honest with you, most people that knows anything about mechanics will tell you that spark plugs don't simply "fly".

I can only come with a semi logical explanation which is that your spark plug thread(the part that goes on the cylinder head) was so worn out and lose that the whole thing came out but before that happens you would already lose all power to the engine because that means that you already lost compression.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
bigben wrote:
a) you're lucky you didn't strip all the threads on your head when your spark plug came out. my bike freaked out on me in NYC a few weeks back and I had to turn it off by unscrewing the plug and did infact strip the head threads. luckily for me, I have a spare head, an spare entire engine for that fact.

b) "rent" a voltometer and a compression tester from Pep Boys and check both. You may have a bad coil in your stator. I have a flywheel puller if needed, but do voltage tests to see what your CDI

heres a resource to read on the readings you should have and what they mean: whats the electric output on a p200 stator with polini 210

if readings are off, you may have to send out to get rewired/the coil replaced and ScooterMercato can do the work. do NOT send it to Gickspeed, he'll send your wires back all the same color.
Honestly, losing the threads on the cylinder heads is a easy repairable issue. Most shop charge like $20 to re thread it. You can always buy a used head for about $35 or even a new one but like I said, a easy and cheap repair.
@bigben avatar
UTC

Evil
p2, jet2, lml166

Evil
@bigben avatar
p2, jet2, lml166
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
bigben wrote:

Honestly, losing the threads on the cylinder heads is a easy repairable issue. Most shop charge like $20 to re thread it. You can always buy a used head for about $35 or even a new one but like I said, a easy and cheap repair.
oh, no I get it. I just had a spare head sitting in a box of engine parts. I'll sort the old head out later.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0168s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0043s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]