OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
Hey everyone, just wanted to know what your advice is on what i should do to get my tune right on my scooter. I have a 2006 piaggio typhoon with a malossi iron 70cc kit, stock delortto 17.5 carb with the brass restrictor removed, a pocket bike style air filter, and i am currently running a 102 main jet and a 32 idle jet. The top end seems to be pretty spot on with a slight bog at wot but my biggest issue is take off. The scooter struggles at 1/4 throttle and smokes like crazy. Ive tired adjusting the air/fuel mixture and it didn't change much. Any help would be very appreciated! Btw I ordered a 45 idle jet for shits and giggles and i have no idea if its going to work, ill post what happens if i have a chance to try it out.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
Have you tried dropping the needle?
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
bluecloud wrote:
Have you tried dropping the needle?
It was a while ago but I remember never being able to get it right no matter how much i dropped or raised the neddle
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
UTC quote
Did you put stifter clutch and varo springs in?
I used the 17.5 with the original airbox with the rubber tip off, the needle down one notch, and a 78 main jet, with mid strength springs.....
I would either put back in the airbox, rejet the main to 78, stifter springs, and put the needle down one notch, or use your air filter, and put the needle at least down 2......and a aftermarket 70cc exhaust......
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
I used the 17.5 with the original airbox with the rubber tip off, the needle down one notch, and a 78 main jet, with mid strength springs.....
I would either put back in the airbox, rejet the main to 78, stifter springs, and put the needle down one notch, or use your air filter, and put the needle at least down 3......and a aftermarket 70cc exhaust......
I don't have stiffer springs avaiable right now but ill definetly try dropping the neddle down. I also forgot to mention i already have an aftermarket exhaust, its a technigas revolver. Thanks for the advice, ill tell you how it goes when i have the time to work on my scooter.
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
Btw any idea what idle jet should i start with? I have a 32, 34 and 45 on hand
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
UTC quote
benrocks261 wrote:
greg531 wrote:
I would either put back in the airbox, rejet the main to 78, stifter springs, and put the needle down one notch, or use your air filter, and put the needle at least down 3......and a aftermarket 70cc exhaust......
I don't have stiffer springs avaiable right now but ill definetly try dropping the neddle down. I also forgot to mention i already have an aftermarket exhaust, its a technigas revolver. Thanks for the advice, ill tell you how it goes when i have the time to work on my scooter.
Also, I am running 4.0 gram sliders, or 4.25 rollers.......if I did it again, I would use the less stiffer springs, and 4.5 rollers.....
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
UTC quote
benrocks261 wrote:
I used the stock 34.....up that needle to the second notch at least....maybe third.....
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
benrocks261 wrote:
I used the stock 34.....up that needle to the second notch at least....maybe third.....
Ok sounds good to me, ill report back with how it goes
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
benrocks261 wrote:
Just making sure, you want me to bring this clip up one or two notches to drop the needle?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
The bike sounds like it's way overjetted and getting too much air. I would suggest about an 80-85 main, and start restricting the air, either by going back to the stock box and putting a 10mm hole in it so it gets additiional air, or using tape to cover the intake of the pocket bike filter until the bike starts to run right.
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
Greg531 thank you so much for the help. I dropped the needle 2 notches and its running better than it ever has. Also motovista i think ill try that, im still getting a small bog at wot
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
The bike sounds like it's way overjetted and getting too much air. I would suggest about an 80-85 main, and start restricting the air, either by going back to the stock box and putting a 10mm hole in it so it gets additiional air, or using tape to cover the intake of the pocket bike filter until the bike starts to run right.
Im gonna try the 85 and stock air box, where should i drill the hole? Before or after the filter?
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
UTC quote
I expanded the second hole that divides the airbox, and take off the rubber restrictor tip if not done yet.....
If using the original airbox, the needle has to be at the second notch from the top, and use a 78 main jet......85 is way too big...That was my setup with a 70cc Polini Corsa... 17.5 delorto.....I have jets from 100 to 60...and worked them down to 78....If you are getting bogging, you are too rich, if your speed and acceleration is less, you are too lean....get a 6mm jet pack....
You showed the needle at the third notch from the top...
I also got some better takeoff with the 4 gram sliders......I did use 4.25 rollers before.......Heavier ones will get you better takeoff, but less top end.....
Today, I was hitting around 55-60 mph on level roads.....and I am around 215 lbs.....I gained about 5 mph with my new 20.5 Delorto, that I installed this summer....Good luck finding one of those in the states!
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
I expanded the second hole that divides the airbox, and take off the rubber restrictor tip if not done yet.....
If using the original airbox, the needle has to be at the second notch from the top, and use a 78 main jet......85 is way too big...That was my setup with a 70cc Polini Corsa... 17.5 delorto.....I have jets from 100 to 60...and worked them down to 78....If you are getting bogging, you are too rich, if your speed and acceleration is less, you are too lean....get a 6mm jet pack....
You showed the needle at the third notch from the top...
I also got some better takeoff with the 4 gram sliders......I did use 4.25 rollers before.......Heavier ones will get you better takeoff, but less top end.....
Today, I was hitting around 55-60 mph on level roads.....and I am around 215 lbs.....I gained about 5 mph with my new 20.5 Delorto, that I installed this summer....Good luck finding one of those in the states!
Where can I find this rubber restrictor? It might of been removed by the previous owner because I don't remember seeing one. By the way I tried the 85 jet and stock air box reccomended by motovista and I had no more bogging at wot but now I get sputtering at around half throttle. Ill try out a 78, moving the clip to the second notch and drilling the stock air box. By the second hole that divides the air box are you talking about the holes between the air filter section and the open section to the left? And about how much larger do I make the hole? Thanks
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
*update* currently my needle clip is set at the 1st notch, im running a 34 idle jet, and a 85 main jet. I adjusted the air/fuel mixture screw today and i got everything running spot on. Plug colour looks good too. My only problem I'm dealing with is the engine sputtering a ton when its cold. Ill make another post on that since my main issue is solved. Thanks a ton for the help greg531 and motovista!
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
UTC quote
I made my second hole in the airbox about the same as the bigger one.....
The rubber tip is on the open end of the airbox...it might be gone.....
I have to run my 2 stroke a couple of minutes, when it's cold out.....
Try the second notch in the needle...Tuning is a lot of playing around....and try one thing at a time, and see if it helps....
On another issue, did you advance the oil flow?....There is a couple of marks on the oil pump, and with a 70 kit, it should be advanced a crack, to get more oil to the carb.....You have to open up the varator cover for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TWYRtE4nA
OP
UTC

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50

2006 Piaggio typhoon 50
UTC quote
greg531 wrote:
I made my second hole in the airbox about the same as the bigger one.....
The rubber tip is on the open end of the airbox...it might be gone.....
I have to run my 2 stroke a couple of minutes, when it's cold out.....
Try the second notch in the needle...Tuning is a lot of playing around....and try one thing at a time, and see if it helps....
On another issue, did you advance the oil flow?....There is a couple of marks on the oil pump, and with a 70 kit, it should be advanced a crack, to get more oil to the carb.....You have to open up the varator cover for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3TWYRtE4nA
Actually I've just been adding a bit of oil with every fill up haha, that might be a better solution. Ill play around with the needle clip tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I took a look at the airbox today and the rubber tip was already removed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0176s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0108s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]