@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
For those who want more off-the-line acceleration this is now available. Several MP3isti on the Italian forum have installed it with good results.

http://www.malossi.com/catalogo/Cata_Main.asp?Marca=250&Modello=MO/PIMP3250&Famiglia=0&CodArt=5111885
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Enthusiast
Kymco Grandvista 250, Yamaha Vision

Enthusiast
Kymco Grandvista 250, Yamaha Vision
UTC quote
What is that thing and what does it do?
I have never heard of such a thing. The link you gave was all in Italian. Maybe I should start learning Italian. Then I could understand the guy on the official MP3 website talking sooooo eloquently about the MP3.
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti
UTC quote
Re: What is that thing and what does it do?
tkarlmann wrote:
The link you gave was all in Italian. Maybe I should start learning Italian.
You can also click on the little EN in the right upper corner of the page and you will be directed to the site in english
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3

Enthusiast
MP3
UTC quote
Tkarlmann
Malossi is the premier company for scooter modifications.
Malossi is to scooters what Edlebrock is to chevy small blocks.
I have been crusing their site every month or so looking for a stroker kit.
@88andstillriding avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@88andstillriding avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
My local dealer indicated that the Malossi provided good performance enhancement but that the weights develop flat spots at 1200 miles and need to be changed. Not a problem for me as I would do this as part of regular maintenance.

Is there any mention of the short life of the weights from the Malossi Variator???
OP
@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
I will try to get that question translated and posted. But I doubt any have put 1200 miles on their Malossi's yet.

Right now the buzz is about how much the variator affects petrol consumption. One reporter says his fuel consumption went from 25 km per liter to 22 km/L. with the installation of 15 gram rollers.
@88andstillriding avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@88andstillriding avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
I look forward to the information. Mileage is something I don't care about. For me, any boost in performance is worth it.

Thanks,
@adamcecchini avatar
UTC

Hooked
'07 MP3 250ie, '86 Bimota DB1R, '62 Ducati 250, '90 Ducati 851, '69 Laverda 750 GT

Hooked
@adamcecchini avatar
'07 MP3 250ie, '86 Bimota DB1R, '62 Ducati 250, '90 Ducati 851, '69 Laverda 750 GT
UTC quote
87andstillriding wrote:
I look forward to the information. Mileage is something I don't care about. For me, any boost in performance is worth it.

Thanks,
You're a tough neighbor to have!

Who will have the fastest MP3 in Santa Cruz?
OP
@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
Well, there is at least one mechanic in Rome that agrees with your dealer. Here is a translation of mariobro's post.

Ragazzi, I had considered the Malossi multivar but my mechanic, a experienced person, has advised against this operation. In his opinion the shifters of this type do not last more than a year. Is the extra speed worth the pain? Moreover, does this not void the guarantee?

Sounds like a "no pain, no gain" situation.
OP
@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
On the Italian forum Stramino has a report of his experience with the Malossi Variator.

After approximately 2000 Km with the Malossi, yesterday I had it removed, and replaced with the stock shifter. I decided to remove it because on the freeway I have noticed that if before I caught up easy to 130 kph and less easy to 140 kph, with the Malossi the 130 was difficult and the 140 a mirage (with such high rpm that the motor seemed to explode).

Moreover, when it was taken apart, the mechanic said to me that the Malossi seams were already consumed very much and needed to be replaced...

I recommend the Malossi for who has time, wants and money in order to make continuous maintenances, and for who uses it mostly in the city, therefore has need of quick departures. I recommend the normal Variator to who wants reliability and performance over a long time span.

http://www.piaggiomp3isti.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103&whichpage=10
@adamcecchini avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@adamcecchini avatar
UTC quote
It lowers the gearing. Quicker acceleration, lower top speed. And in true Italian, higher performance fashion doesn't last very long.
@adamcecchini avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@adamcecchini avatar
UTC quote
Many thanks, JMD!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Rolf Soltau (used to train all the Piaggio certified mechanics, and still consults for Piaggio) says that Malossi stuff is crap. Me, I don't know, but I tend to trust Rolf's judgement on these things.
@jfredrik avatar
UTC

Addicted
Suzuki Burgman Executive 650

Addicted
@jfredrik avatar
Suzuki Burgman Executive 650
UTC quote
With the exception of exhaust systems, intake systems, air cleaners, tweaking the black boxes e.g. PowerCommanders and suspension upgrades; the machine is going to run better and longer with stock components.

On the other hand if you're a racer and do major engine work and tuning between races, the speed parts and aftermarket is the way to extract every single bit of horsepower and torque out of your machine and CVT.

At any rate, that my $.02!
@tafsc avatar
UTC

vespa GTS 250 ie

@tafsc avatar
vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
My GTS 250 is my toy, I have no interest on preserving the longevity of my engine, fuel consumption or any other old age pensioner type consideration. I want to ride it as if I stole it!

If I wanted to be sensible I'd ride a Honda, I have just had a Malossi Multivar 2000 Variator Kit fitted and I am thrashing the tits off her and lubbin it lubbin it lubbin it!

The response is awesome, it pulls my big fat body weight up hill like a train and the grin factor is superb.

As far as any one saying that Malossi is shat? What's that all about? I have used both 210 and 225 cylinder kits on P200E Vespas with no problems what so ever? Yup you are gonna wear piston rings quicker and yup the barrel is not going to last as long but so what? Tuning is about increasing performance and having fun.

The traffic light grand prix is ace with a GTS 250, take every one by surprise as the eat my wake!

That's me just about to destroy a TS1 225, I'm on the white lambretta GP 235
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
tafsc wrote:
As far as any one saying that Malossi is shat? What's that all about? I have used both 210 and 225 cylinder kits on P200E Vespas with no problems what so ever?
It's not so much the wear on the engine he was referring to, but the fact that when they fail they destroy anything around them, spewing shrapnel everywhere or munging all the splines off the crank. With regular inspection (as in a race motor) it's probably fine, and that's what their stuff is made for. In a bike that isn't taken apart after every other run, it could be a serious liability.

If you use Malossi stuff in the engine (and the transmission in particular), just make sure and inspect it regularly.
@elasticvep avatar
UTC

mp3 400 midnight blue

@elasticvep avatar
mp3 400 midnight blue
UTC quote
tafsc wrote:
My GTS 250 is my toy, I have no interest on preserving the longevity of my engine, fuel consumption or any other old age pensioner type consideration. I want to ride it as if I stole it!

If I wanted to be sensible I'd ride a Honda, I have just had a Malossi Multivar 2000 Variator Kit fitted and I am thrashing the tits off her and lubbin it lubbin it lubbin it!

The response is awesome, it pulls my big fat body weight up hill like a train and the grin factor is superb.

As far as any one saying that Malossi is shat? What's that all about? I have used both 210 and 225 cylinder kits on P200E Vespas with no problems what so ever? Yup you are gonna wear piston rings quicker and yup the barrel is not going to last as long but so what? Tuning is about increasing performance and having fun.

The traffic light grand prix is ace with a GTS 250, take every one by surprise as the eat my wake!

That's me just about to destroy a TS1 225, I'm on the white lambretta GP 235
mmmmmm
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1167s ][ Queries: 21 (0.0877s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]