@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
 
Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Didn't want to start a new thread, so…

Does anyone know why Clauss Studios stopped producing the reinforced top mount for the rear shock?? Thankfully, I have two more on the shelf but was wondering why…
Are they any good??

Look quite hard…
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1758
Location: California
 
Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1758
Location: California
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Didn't want to start a new thread, so…

Does anyone know why Clauss Studios stopped producing the reinforced top mount for the rear shock?? Thankfully, I have two more on the shelf but was wondering why…
I have not seen Greg Clauss in years but my guess is the Vespa stuff doesn't have the demand as the other stuff he is selling. Maybe he needs a certain quantity to be worthwhile producing?
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4298
Location: Florence, OR
 
Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4298
Location: Florence, OR
UTC quote
Yeah, thanks for the visuals and taking us up! The Santa Paula river wash looks fairly low. I used to ride my XR500R up the river wash to Santa Paula for lunch from Oxnard sometimes. Only got chased by the cops once! Razz emoticon
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3214
Location: northern New York
 
Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3214
Location: northern New York
UTC quote
This door. Has been awhile since I prepped/painted a whole panel. Forgot how rubbery it makes my arms feel after a few hours of sanding. I can assure you that's it getting flatter. But I swear, sanding it makes it get bigger. It is now the size of Nebraska. At least it will be easier to paint than a Vespa.
Should be ready for primer soon.
Should be ready for primer soon.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
I love it, Rob!

Next time I'm in SoCal, I'm making time for you to take me flying. 😃
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
hibbert wrote:
I have not seen Greg Clauss in years but my guess is the Vespa stuff doesn't have the demand as the other stuff he is selling. Maybe he needs a certain quantity to be worthwhile producing?
I'm sure that's it, but it's still a bummer. I love those upper shock mounts.

Maybe it didn't sell well because people are afraid to drill holes in the frame?

Still, with the engineering and tooling work done, you'd think he would still run batches.
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1758
Location: California
 
Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1758
Location: California
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I'm sure that's it, but it's still a bummer. I love those upper shock mounts.

Maybe it didn't sell well because people are afraid to drill holes in the frame?

Still, with the engineering and tooling work done, you'd think he would still run batches.
Might just need to get in touch with Cluass to find out if he can make some. I have two of his upper mounts one on my P225 and one on my GL no complaints. Thought I saw a copy on the market can't remember the company name but my memory is the company that makes the engine bushings in the orange color urethane.

Greg made a lens for my Vigano horn cover. I have a red and amber stashed away if I want to change. I was trying to get him to make the rubber cover for the Mickey Mouse wing nut on the gas tank cap but it never came to fruition. Still need a few.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
Good Lord the GS looks great. Clap emoticon
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
I'm pretty sure SIP bought all of his stock before they run out too, so maybe it wasn't a low demand issue…
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
Anyone holding Del'orto 24/24 injected? Been looking around with no luck...
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Anyone holding Del'orto 24/24 injected? Been looking around with no luck...
I might have one, but if I do, it's in a motor. I think all the 24/24's on my shelf are Spaco's. I'll take a look and let you know.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
Do you think there is a big difference between the two? Just an uneducated guy asking....
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
I mean it would be nice to have a Del'Orto. I could buy a new Spaco from SM, of course. I could also get one off Ebay, but I don't trust stuff off ebay.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
From experience, the ones from Piaggio or Dell'Orto that come in a brown box and have a Dell'Orto sticker on them, although Spaco made, they are of higher quality compared to the ones that come in the blue Spaco box…

And then there are the super shitty Indian 'Spaco' with the golden bolts and black covers, etc.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
From experience, the ones from Piaggio or Dell'Orto that come in a brown box and have a Dell'Orto sticker on them, although Spaco made, they are of higher quality compared to the ones that come in the blue Spaco box…

And then there are the super shitty Indian 'Spaco' with the golden bolts and black covers, etc.
Thanks for sharing that. I've read reports of bad carbs out there. At least we have a better starting point with your info. I will still dismantle a carb and check for burs and metal shavings but getting a good one from the start is way less frustrating.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
Agreed. You can find one on Ebay for $30 (black top), but not me.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
I will still dismantle a carb and check for burs and metal shavings but getting a good one from the start is way less frustrating.
This is the correct plan in any case. Most carbs need at least a little bit of cleanup, and that's before you do any of the standard mods to prep it for use in a tuned bike, e.g. drilling the float passage.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1893
Location: Los Angeles
 
Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1893
Location: Los Angeles
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
Thanks for sharing that. I've read reports of bad carbs out there. At least we have a better starting point with your info. I will still dismantle a carb and check for burs and metal shavings but getting a good one from the start is way less frustrating.
I have 3 BGM's (reworked Spaco). No issues.
3 Spaco's with issues on the shelf.

A Spaco out of the box needs work:
Ultrasonic cleaning after being taken completely apart.
Blow out ALL channels with compressed air.
Inspect the needle seat with a jeweler's loupe.
Inspect the fuel pathway under the banjo. Some have casting defects there that block fuel flow.
Replace the needle with a spring-loaded Viton needle.
Check that the mixture screw fully seats -- or better, replace it with the BGM screw.
Replace the jets with Dellorto to original jetting (not 190ac/BE4 last iteration).

This is for a stock bike.
If kitted, more work needs to be done


https://www.bgm-tuning.com/en/product/bgm7305-mixture-adjustment-screw-bgm-pro-conversion-short-si20-20d-si24-24e-si24-24h-thread-m5-x-050mm-thin-tip-065mm-type-vespa-px-with-slotted-screw-used-umru/
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
 
Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2413
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
I have 3 BGM's (reworked Spaco). No issues.
3 Spaco's with issues on the shelf.

A Spaco out of the box needs work:
Ultrasonic cleaning after being taken completely apart.
Blow out ALL channels with compressed air.
Inspect the needle seat with a jeweler's loupe.
Inspect the fuel pathway under the banjo. Some have casting defects there that block fuel flow.
Replace the needle with a spring-loaded Viton needle.
Check that the mixture screw fully seats -- or better, replace it with the BGM screw.
Replace the jets with Dellorto to original jetting (not 190ac/BE4 last iteration).

This is for a stock bike.
If kitted, more work needs to be done


https://www.bgm-tuning.com/en/product/bgm7305-mixture-adjustment-screw-bgm-pro-conversion-short-si20-20d-si24-24e-si24-24h-thread-m5-x-050mm-thin-tip-065mm-type-vespa-px-with-slotted-screw-used-umru/
Ray has definitely got the right experience with si carbs! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8328
Location: Hustletown, TX
 
Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8328
Location: Hustletown, TX
UTC quote
Wind therapy on the SS to alleviate my ET3 frustrations
Butts!
Butts!
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1741
Location: PNW from LBC
 
The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1741
Location: PNW from LBC
UTC quote
such a beautiful machine, and good plan!
@kowalski avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 522
Location: MA
 
Addicted
@kowalski avatar
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 522
Location: MA
UTC quote
Scooter Gods have ignored my prayers for a trouble-free remainder of the season. Latest trial is a swallowed reed petal. Had what felt like a fouled plug pulling into my driveway at the end of a ride the other day. Changed plug. Scoot started right up and carried me to the end of the driveway, but died as soon I turned out onto the road. Checking for fuel and spark, noticed a lot of blowback coming out of carb. Shining flashlight (torch) down the carb with the throttle open revealed a clear view into the crankcase. Bad.

These are the Boyesen 2-stage reeds on a Stella reed block. Only been in for a year and maybe 2,000 miles. Somewhere I read that you do not need the reed stop for this setup, so was running without it. As you can see, one of the smaller petals broke clean off. Can't say for sure if this was mechanical damage, but the scuffing on the large petal is very suspicious. Went with the reed stop this time around.

Good news is motor seems to have digested the petal like Joey Chestnut digests a hotdog. Reed stop does not seem to affect performance around town, but haven't been out on the freeway yet.
Note scuffing on lower right.
Note scuffing on lower right.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
New customer. Some TLC on a PX workhorse with 73k Kms on the clock. Engine's never been split. Oil line had finally disintegrated, frame got full of 2T oil dripping all over the place and engine soft seized while the owner was bringing it to me (if it wasn't for the oil leak he wouldn't bring it in). New fuel and oil lines, new sight glass, new brake shoes and cables front and back, carb was rebuilt, new set of gaskets for the carb tub, oil pump cog was really worn and replaced with a nearly new, but used one (200 cogs are discontinued by Piaggio), new battery, new starter relay (starter would stay engaged even with the main switch to OFF), new flasher relay (rear turn signals would occasionally work), speedo cable and worm gear, engine oil, spark plug, the works...

He will bring it again in the winter to dismantle / prepare it for a respray...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
 
Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4330
Location: Veria, Greece
UTC quote
Drain plug repair on a PX. It was already tapped to M10 by a previous shop. Machined a 7/16 bolt to accept an M8 drain bolt. The 7/16 bolt is permanently installed on the cases with Permatex Cold Weld, an o-ring washer and the M8 drain bolt does the rest...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Drain plug repair on a PX. It was already tapped to M10 by a previous shop. Machined a 7/16 bolt to accept an M8 drain bolt. The 7/16 bolt is permanently installed on the cases with Permatex Cold Weld and the M8 drain bolt works as it should...
That's outstanding! I'm adding that to my trick collection. I've had to repair Harley primary case drain plugs by drilling and tapping with 1/4 inch pipe thread from a damaged original 1/8 inch pipe thread plug with excellent results. Seems people love to over tighten them.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1741
Location: PNW from LBC
 
The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1741
Location: PNW from LBC
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Drain plug repair on a PX. It was already tapped to M10 by a previous shop. Machined a 7/16 bolt to accept an M8 drain bolt. The 7/16 bolt is permanently installed on the cases with Permatex Cold Weld, an o-ring washer and the M8 drain bolt does the rest...
Well done Sir Clap emoticon
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
That's outstanding! I'm adding that to my trick collection. I've had to repair Harley primary case drain plugs by drilling and tapping with 1/4 inch pipe thread from a damaged original 1/8 inch pipe thread plug with excellent results. Seems people love to over tighten them.
I just did something similar with the horn cover screws on the Lammy. They were completely corroded in place (steel vs. aluminum), so I drilled out the screws to get the horncast off, then ground them flat, drilled, and re-tapped.

Worked like a charm.

And I now have a loud-ass freeway blaster horn, to boot.
when screws become one
when screws become one
ground flat, drilled, and tapped
ground flat, drilled, and tapped
Less filling, fits great
Less filling, fits great
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8328
Location: Hustletown, TX
 
Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8328
Location: Hustletown, TX
UTC quote
Very slick Safis!
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I just did something similar with the horn cover screws on the Lammy. They were completely corroded in place (steel vs. aluminum), so I drilled out the screws to get the horncast off, then ground them flat, drilled, and re-tapped.

Worked like a charm.

And I now have a loud-ass freeway blaster horn, to boot.
First off, I only see stuff like that on marine engines (outboards mostly)! Well done Sir. No easy task to drill that out and still have meat left to get a new screw in. Something for me to look forward to if a Lammy shows up? I love loud horns, especially when nobody knows they're there!😂
@kowalski avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 522
Location: MA
 
Addicted
@kowalski avatar
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 522
Location: MA
UTC quote
Kowalski wrote:
Scooter Gods have ignored my prayers for a trouble-free remainder of the season. Latest trial is a swallowed reed petal. Had what felt like a fouled plug pulling into my driveway at the end of a ride the other day. Changed plug. Scoot started right up and carried me to the end of the driveway, but died as soon I turned out onto the road. Checking for fuel and spark, noticed a lot of blowback coming out of carb. Shining flashlight (torch) down the carb with the throttle open revealed a clear view into the crankcase. Bad.

These are the Boyesen 2-stage reeds on a Stella reed block. Only been in for a year and maybe 2,000 miles. Somewhere I read that you do not need the reed stop for this setup, so was running without it. As you can see, one of the smaller petals broke clean off. Can't say for sure if this was mechanical damage, but the scuffing on the large petal is very suspicious. Went with the reed stop this time around.

Good news is motor seems to have digested the petal like Joey Chestnut digests a hotdog. Reed stop does not seem to affect performance around town, but haven't been out on the freeway yet.
To follow-up, got out on the freeway and I am going to say there is a very tiny loss of max horsepower with the reed stop in place. Still topping out at a little over 70 mph (gps) in 4th, but not with quite as much authority as before. Suspect this has more to do with the reed stop itself blocking intake flow rather than any restriction on how far the reeds can open.

Will be interested to see how long this set of Boyesens lasts. I am considering the possibility that the thinner fiberglass material used for the small petals is just too fragile for my setup. It is my understanding that the single-stage GGR Hot Reeds are Polini carbon fiber material precut for the Stella reed block. Is anyone running those without the reed stop?
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
Kowalski wrote:
Will be interested to see how long this set of Boyesens lasts. I am considering the possibility that the thinner fiberglass material used for the small petals is just too fragile for my setup. It is my understanding that the single-stage GGR Hot Reeds are Polini carbon fiber material precut for the Stella reed block. Is anyone running those without the reed stop?
I ran the GGR's with a cutout center bar and no stop for a while, but that was a long time ago, so I don't recall how many miles I might have put on them. They were still holding up when I put them on the shelf, though.
@daleb avatar
UTC

Hooked
'55 VL1
Joined: UTC
Posts: 116
Location: Omaha, NE
 
Hooked
@daleb avatar
'55 VL1
Joined: UTC
Posts: 116
Location: Omaha, NE
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
That's outstanding! I'm adding that to my trick collection. I've had to repair Harley primary case drain plugs by drilling and tapping with 1/4 inch pipe thread from a damaged original 1/8 inch pipe thread plug with excellent results. Seems people love to over tighten them.
You know what we call "Harley tight", right? Snug it down until the head snaps off, then back it off an eighth.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
DaleB wrote:
You know what we call "Harley tight", right? Snug it down until the head snaps off, then back it off an eighth.
I thought that was only for airplanes!😂
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
DaleB wrote:
You know what we call "Harley tight", right? Snug it down until the head snaps off, then back it off an eighth.
Yep, before I learned as a young lad of the wonders of Loctite.
@daleb avatar
UTC

Hooked
'55 VL1
Joined: UTC
Posts: 116
Location: Omaha, NE
 
Hooked
@daleb avatar
'55 VL1
Joined: UTC
Posts: 116
Location: Omaha, NE
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
I thought that was only for airplanes!😂
While I have no doubt there are those who don't, I use a torque wrench for pretty much everything on the airplane. It's why I have several of them... even the little Park Tool 1/4 drive for AN3/AN4 bolts. It's actually made me much more aware of what I'm doing on cars and bikes as well.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
DaleB wrote:
While I have no doubt there are those who don't, I use a torque wrench for pretty much everything on the airplane. It's why I have several of them... even the little Park Tool 1/4 drive for AN3/AN4 bolts. It's actually made me much more aware of what I'm doing on cars and bikes as well.
Another potential benefit of using a torque wrench whenever you can is that you develop a good idea of how much force is "enough," even when you don't have a torque spec or torque wrench.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8697
Location: Victoria, Australia
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8697
Location: Victoria, Australia
UTC quote
Kowalski wrote:
Will be interested to see how long this set of Boyesens lasts. I am considering the possibility that the thinner fiberglass material used for the small petals is just too fragile for my setup. It is my understanding that the single-stage GGR Hot Reeds are Polini carbon fiber material precut for the Stella reed block. Is anyone running those without the reed stop?
I wonder if it has something to do with the reeds being at 90 degrees to the flow? I guess most reed setups are at much less of an angle than that.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8552
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8552
Location: San Diego, CA
UTC quote
Finally noticed that I got a new name in my profile after like a month… doh! But I like it!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
 
Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3
Joined: UTC
Posts: 9979
Location: Nashville

78 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
Finally noticed that I got a new name in my profile after like a month… doh! But I like it!
That's how you know you've really arrived.

As opposed to getting your own custom icons, which is how you know you've really blown up.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3214
Location: northern New York
 
Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3214
Location: northern New York
UTC quote
Repurposed my scooter paint rack as a bus door hanger. The best money I never spent. Craptastic paint booth is still operational. Sanded the backside last night and stripped the hardware. Changed my mind about painting outside; rain, wind, kamakaze bugs. Also the possibility of sharing my summer of citrus with the neighbors' cars, houses and pets.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0589s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0473s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]