OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
its not a crazy all over the engine leak but this tiny little bubble that bubbles up after the engine gets hot, its in this picture and its actually located above where the fluid collected, in the seam up there.

any idea whats going on?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
i'd guess that the valve cover gasket or the small gasket that sits under the valve cover attaching bolt (that is right above the drip there) has been compromised.

clean, replace, clean again, ride and then report.

-g
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
i'd guess that the valve cover gasket or the small gasket that sits under the valve cover attaching bolt (that is right above the drip there) has been compromised.

-g
Is there an easy way to do that? Will everything be safe? Is it wrecked or in trouble. I'm scareeeeeed
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
professorcatfacemeowmers wrote:
greasy125 wrote:

-g
Is there an easy way to do that? Will everything be safe? Is it wrecked or in trouble. I'm scareeeeeed
hold tight homeslice, i gotta grab a quesadilla from the taco ladies that set up in front of the shop on fridays and saturdays. i will respond with detailed info once said masa y queso situation has been quelled with ice cold beer.

fear not, we are here to guide you. all is possible with tools, patience and some guidance. besides, this shizz is super straight forward.

-g
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
greasy125 wrote:

-g
hold tight homeslice, i gotta grab a quesadilla from the taco ladies that set up in front of the shop on fridays and saturdays. i will respond with detailed info once said masa y queso situation has been quelled with ice cold beer.

fear not, we are here to guide you. all is possible with tools, patience and some guidance. besides, this shizz is super straight forward.

-g
Thanks so much! I'll be a waiting!
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Why am I picturing Marsellus Wallace sitting by the pool with his wife calmly saying into a cordless phone: "You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the m*therf*cker. Go back in there, chill them ******* out and wait for the Wolf who should be coming directly"?
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
So the leak starts actually at the seam above that spot right where the bolt holds it together. I think it's probably an improperly torqued bolt or as greasy was saying a comprised bolt gasket.
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
More accurate photo from today
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@theknights20 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa s 125 ie 4t

Addicted
@theknights20 avatar
Vespa s 125 ie 4t
UTC quote
That's probably the ticket!

Now for he job

Undo the rear suspension at the top or bottom, doesn't really matter. Get a rope and hoist the chassis up slightly, this will give you some more room to work with the valve cover.

Completely back of the bolts, the cover should slide right off. Inspect the gasket. Should be no cracks, crimps or anything. If all checks out dip the gasket in oil and re seat, ensuring the surface is completely flush.

Obviously if needs replacing, oil and sit the new gasket the sane way.

Now, torque the bolts evenly! You want to go in a criss cross fashion untill you're pretty tight. Once they feel snug, but not over tight, go round one more in a criss cross tightening each one by a further 90 degrees. This should bring you within spec.

If you have a torque wrench, same criss cross tightening but untill at correct value which is found in the owners manual under specifications if I remember rightly.
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Might just take it in to get this done. Is it safe to drive till then? I put paper underneath and it isn't leaking when it's turned off.
@theknights20 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa s 125 ie 4t

Addicted
@theknights20 avatar
Vespa s 125 ie 4t
UTC quote
Shame you're not in the UK. Would of happily done it for you!

Right, so you're only loosing it under pressure right? How much is leaving the sump? Have you been checking the dip stick?

If you're staying in tolerance on your oil level, and you're coolant is good there's no reason for it to be too big of a problem. You did mention your oil is old, which will be increasing wear so bare that in mind.

So I'd ride it to the shop to get fixed, but nothing more really for peace of mind. Would suck if you broke a ring due to bad oil. Worried to why it is leaking, hopefully the oil isn't breaking down and causing it due to excessive wear. But that's hard to tell.

If you're insisting on riding, do an oil change. Very very easy to do yourself if you'd like the instructions? Would save money at the shop too. [/quote][/list]
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
theknights20 wrote:
Shame you're not in the UK. Would of happily done it for you!

Right, so you're only loosing it under pressure right? How much is leaving the sump? Have you been checking the dip stick?

If you're staying in tolerance on your oil level, and you're coolant is good there's no reason for it to be too big of a problem. You did mention your oil is old, which will be increasing wear so bare that in mind.

So I'd ride it to the shop to get fixed, but nothing more really for peace of mind. Would suck if you broke a ring due to bad oil. Worried to why it is leaking, hopefully the oil isn't breaking down and causing it due to excessive wear. But that's hard to tell.

If you're insisting on riding, do an oil change. Very very easy to do yourself if you'd like the instructions? Would save money at the shop too.
[/list][/quote]

Oil just got changed a few days ago, it isn't leaking like nuts and the rest of the engine is pretty clean, I see some gross oil in there from the road (did a lot of rain riding, 3 downpours in a week, it was late out and no one was on the road so I laughed about it.)

But yeah other than that it runs fine with an occasional temperature change related hiccup that causes it to stall in bumper to bumper traffic(which I expect is a grody air filter or carb. It always starts back up and the battery is healthy too. And that only happens every two months. Happened once before so I'm wary of it now.(especially before 700 mile drive

But I think I'll bring it in for them to look at it again. I got 300$ left in my budget and I'm hoping it's just a loose bolt
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
About the overheating, you may want to check on your fan's function. Could be just a blown fuse or something along those lines.
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
its not overheating or anything! the fluids aren't leaking enough to have any major impact on the fluid levels, the coolant tank is between minimum and maximum fullness.

I wonder what made the bolt come loose though, I got a feeling its running around on old oil
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
also this isnt a sign of a blown head or nothing right? im terrified of that, stuff that unfortunate has happened to me before.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
also this isnt a sign of a blown head or nothing right? im terrified of that, stuff that unfortunate has happened to me before.
no. no. at worst you've got a few inexpensive parts to replace and some pain in the ass labor. i'll post something of a tutorial up in a bit.

-g
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
no. no. at worst you've got a few inexpensive parts to replace and some pain in the ass labor. i'll post something of a tutorial up in a bit.

-g
yes!!!
@kyvelis avatar
UTC

Addicted
79' p125x

Addicted
@kyvelis avatar
79' p125x
UTC quote
chick:
Whose motorcycle is this?

greasy125:
It's a vespa, baby.

chick:
Whose vespa is this?

greasy125:
It's Zed's.

chick:
Who's Zed?

greasy125:
Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
I'm thinking, if ya got the cover off. Ya might as well check the valves while you're at it. Two birds, one stone Nerd emoticon
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
I'm thinking, if ya got the cover off. Ya might as well check the valves while you're at it. Two birds, one stone Nerd emoticon
checked some other stuff today too, hub oil is at minimum but not low, and the engine oil, is right around max. could it be overfilled slightly and the oils just finding whatever way it can out?

unrelated, theres a little rattling noise whenever i come to a stop and decellerate to an idle, its not a constant but it comes and goes, is this urgent? i was gonna put off new cvt stuff till 9,000 exactly
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Anyone got an idea on the cost of this? I got 400 dollars left and I could very well get the air filter and aome other things done as well. Was wondering that's enough. The mechanic charges 90 for labor (which is pretty good)
@theknights20 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa s 125 ie 4t

Addicted
@theknights20 avatar
Vespa s 125 ie 4t
UTC quote
If your oil is in max, its perfectly fine. Sounds like its only leaking under pressure and by where its coming from its just the valve gasket. Probably not properly torqued. It may be worth, if you don't want to get your hands too dirty, back off the 4 bolts a little and then tightening like I described, starting at top left, then bottom right followed by the remaining two. Only tightening each one 90o at a time untill snug, then a final 90o.

Shouldn't need to remove the suspension arm for that.

If that fails, just need a new rubber. Then you nay need to remove the top or bottom boot fixing the suspension. Its only one bolt per arm.

If you did it yourself, you'll laugh at how easy this job is and be glad you saves the money!

A competent mechanic that knows the machine will have a valve cover gasket swapped in less than an hours labour.

Edit: If the issue only started once you changed the oil, you could try removing some oil so its sitting halfway from min to max (about 100cc less if remembering rightly) and see if it still drips. Empty a shampoo bottle, and use the pump to get it out.
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
[quote="theknights20"]If your oil is in max, its perfectly fine. Sounds like its only leaking under pressure and by where its coming from its just the valve gasket. Probably not properly torqued. It may be worth, if you don't want to get your hands too dirty, back off the 4 bolts a little and then tightening like I described, starting at top left, then bottom right followed by the remaining two. Only tightening each one 90o at a time untill snug, then a final 90o.

Shouldn't need to remove the suspension arm for that.

If that fails, just need a new rubber. Then you nay need to remove the top or bottom boot fixing the suspension. Its only one bolt per arm.

If you did it yourself, you'll laugh at how easy this job is and be glad you saves the money!

A competent mechanic that knows the machine will have a valve cover gasket swapped in less than an hours labour.

Edit: If the issue only started once you changed the oil, you could try removing some oil so its sitting halfway from min to max (about 100cc less if remembering rightly) and see if it still drips. Empty a shampoo bottle, and use the pump to get it out.[/quote

Thank you! You guys are the best!]
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Update:

Talked to two mechanics today both are saying it's probably just a little bit of seepage and shouldn't be too much to worry about and that if it's not draining the oil down than to get it looked at when the 9,000 mile maintenance happens and I need a valve adjustment
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0176s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]