@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
I'm reading more and more articles saying the next iPhone will not have a headphone jack. Guess it's time for iPhone lovers to get Bluetooth ear buds and headphones. One more thing to keep charged.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
Unless Apple surprises us all, it's almost certain the new iPhone will not have a headphone jack. It's a smart move on their part as they purportedly have a new short range, low power tech for audio. Bluetooth is also an option and they will be providing an adapter for existing 3.5mm plugs as well as a set of headphones that use the lightning port.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Yup. Hoping the 7 is better than the 6S. Quality control sucks on them. My friend has the same exact phone and we both agree it's the worst phone Apple has ever put out. I have Apple everything but man do i hate the 6. Both of our phones either random-ally call people (mine) and send them texts (his). Also my camera stopped working a few months ago. Been holding out for the 7. Get a free one with my Sprint plan.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
Yes...I have been unimpressed with my 6. I was expecting a world changing phone (from the descriptions from my friends) when I moved from Android. I do like it but I have to say, as a phone, the iPhone sux. On Android, the phone interface is superior in every way. Easier to find numbers, easier to dial, better access to old numbers and it works when merging calls.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
P the 4 and 5 were good but the 6 just isn't made well. You picked the wrong one to move over to the Apple. I like the way it interfaces with my other iproducts. Think i just invented a new word "iproducts". Laughing emoticon Razz emoticon
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Paddle

Regardless of the exquisiteness of the audio tech, it's still one more item to buy and keep charged. And I doubt Apple's price for this new tech will be modest.

Due to a severe case of sibling rivalry, I don't buy Apple products. No way will I accept my older sister's (big apple fan) judgement.
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
I've been an iPhone fan since 2011, but then I shop at the bottom end (trailing edge) of technology. I had a 3GS, my wife had a 4, now I have a 5c (2+ years old already) and she just got a 6SE (iphone 6 guts in a 5 case).

It doesn't really matter if they got rid of the audio jack. It takes up too much space if you're trying to go thinner.... you just cannot make the case much thinner and retain the same (old) jack.

Two solutions....

1) You can use the charging port to plug in a new or converted headphones...

2) Go bluetooth.

I'm not talking about those "I'm too important to not have this thing on my head" thing on your ear... but a real set of headphones. I just won a set of Bose bluetooth headphones in a raffle, and I love them for working in the garage or cutting the grass... no wires to catch, and I can adjust the volume and skip tracks with a touch of a button.
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift
UTC quote
No great surprises. No headphone jack, but a lightning to 3.5mm adaptor in the box and the option of posh Apple wireless headphones.
@nautiker avatar
UTC

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@nautiker avatar
'14 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
I think Apple just wants to force their clientele to Bluetooth, so they can sell BT to audio jack adapters & new headphones... I'm using a 4S, with no plans to 'upgrade'...
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto (sold) - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)

Molto Verboso
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC quote
The new apple Watch is cool. I also like the Emergency contact feature where you hold the big button and it will dial 911 for you while also sending a text to your emergency contacts with your location.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
TheNaughtyLemur wrote:
The new apple Watch is cool. I also like the Emergency contact feature where you hold the big button and it will dial 911 for you while also sending a text to your emergency contacts with your location.
For once, I am pleased with Apple on their new rollout. I have had my Apple watch for almost a year and love it. I was concerned this new one was going to make me buy a new one but it sounds like Apple will be giving me most of what the new one will do with the OS improvements. I don't need the GPS and waterproofing that comes with the new model.
@claude avatar
UTC

Addicted
Steeellaaa!!

Addicted
@claude avatar
Steeellaaa!!
UTC quote
If your concerned with it and your car, Jalopnik covers this.

http://jalopnik.com/apple-s-new-iphone-doesn-t-have-a-headphone-jack-what-1786330098
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I will probably use the lightning jack so i can keep my headphones. Their saying that the new bluetooth ear buds fit like the ones that used to come with it. Sucks because i have weird ears and they just fall out. AL i'd be more worried about losing the little buggers. Having to charge, yet another thing would also be a PIA. Can't get around charging everything these days.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
I have enough Bluetooth headphones I don't need their new toy. I will likely upgrade to the new phone only because the 6 isn't all that great.
@melk avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 (2012)

Enthusiast
@melk avatar
GTS 300 (2012)
UTC quote
Looking forward to getting the new 7 Plus, the dual-camera system looks great.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I purchased a pair of Bluedio Bluetooth Headphones last year. The price is quite reasonable ($32). They work either wirelessly or wired (and doesn't require a battery to operateI don't think) and they sound fabulous.

Just Fyi.

Best
Miguel
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
Re: [NSR] iPhone 7 may not have headphone jack
Aviator47 wrote:
I'm reading more and more articles saying the next iPhone will not have a headphone jack. Guess it's time for iPhone lovers to get Bluetooth ear buds and headphones. One more thing to keep charged.
The Blue Tooth ear buds are an extra and I understand not cheap.

Anyone for Samsung Android?
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
R F Radiation
An interesting blurb on Blue Tooth, etc.

As an active Amateur Radio Operator, I stay well clear of close body rf, especially in the micro wave range.
Give me ear buds, a jack to plug them into and I can hold the device at arms length. That way I minimize the rf exposure as much as possible.

https://www.rfsafe.com/bluetooth-radiation-dangerous-cell-phone-radiation/
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
I have been in RF research for more than 20 years. I have been working with constant sources of electromagnetic radiation in one form or another over that time and there has been no correlation discovered between cellphone use and any kind of chronic illness.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs193/en/
http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2010/pdfs/pr200_E.pdf
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2011/05/31/who-verdict-on-mobile-phones-and-cancer/

A cellphone operates at about 600 mW. Radiation is about power. Most Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radios emit at a much lower power than that of your cell phone thus having less impact on your health. Microwave ovens and wireless telephones also operate in the same spectrum and have no measurable effect on human health (unless you climb in the oven).

Also keep in mind that regardless of your desire to avoid the 2.4 GHz radio frequencies pummeling your body, RADIATION is EVERYWHERE. Every broadcasting cell phone/service, wireless router, Bluetooth device and of course, the sun, is constantly bombardment all of us radiation. That's not even including other RF devices and other forms of radiation.

So unless you want to wrap yourself up like Ironman, EM exposure is everywhere and moving your Bluetooth from your head to your hip will make no difference.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
You can still plug headphones in if needed, either the lightning ones or use a connector. No big deal.
The airpods look helmet friendly too.

I'm still holding out for the 32GB SE.
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
You can still plug headphones in if needed, either the lightning ones or use a connector. No big deal.
The airpods look helmet friendly too.

I'm still holding out for the 32GB SE.
It looks like so far there isn't a splitter to use earbuds and charge the phone which is a tiny bit concerning. I personally don't ever use the auxiliary port but my girlfriend does in her car, and it also needs to be plugged in when shes using it normally.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Belkin have just announced a dual lightning adapter, and I'm sure someone will do an old school audio jack + lightning before long too.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/belkin-lightning-audio-adapter-iphone-7/
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Belkin have just announced a dual lightning adapter, and I'm sure someone will do an old school audio jack + lightning before long too.

Oh that's cool! $40 hurts, but this is apple.
@flordian avatar
UTC

Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)

Rocket Man
@flordian avatar
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
UTC quote
Watched the new AirPod video. Interesting. The $150 price tag is pretty much in the same range of other high end bluetooth pods. I find Apple's W1 chip intriguing for the Appleheads techno needs although the Qtips sticking out of the ear look is unique.

But, with the supplied charger I don't see how a lanyard could be attached. That could be a real PIA. Definitely an expensive drop in the grass for sure.

https://www.apple.com/airpods/?cid=CDM-US-DM-P0017454-362964&cp=em-P0017454-362964&sr=em#film-airpods&Email_PageName=P0017454-362964&Email_OID=cf621b899c6b67719f0f0fe9acfbb9296c10b3707abe6daa2ad2966a86557687
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
znomit wrote:

I wasn't expecting a dual adaptor that fast! Solves the only issue I could see with my iPhone usage: I listen to Pandora radio or audiobooks on long car trips while using GPS (either Google Maps or Waze). That tends to be a bit of a battery drain, so I have to be charging at the same time I'm plugged into the car's aux port.

I was expecting that something like this would be available before the end of the year...but the day after the tech announcement works, too. Laughing emoticon
@bald_wasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie

Addicted
@bald_wasp avatar
Kymco People 150 (sold), Suzuki TU 250 (sold), 2010 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Yawn
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
flordian wrote:
Watched the new AirPod video. Interesting. The $150 price tag is pretty much in the same range of other high end bluetooth pods. I find Apple's W1 chip intriguing for the Appleheads techno needs although the Qtips sticking out of the ear look is unique.
I'm an apple fan. Don't have Android or Windows machines at all. OTOH, I'd loose one of the airpods within an hour and never find it. It needs a "find my phone" function on iCloud. But honestly, I'll probably pass on the Airpods. I suspect that other companies will come out with a more aesthetically pleasing and functional version.

I do plan on getting an iPhone 7S even though I'm not sure what what advantages it will provide over my iPhone 6S but in general, etc new iPhone has surprised me in terms of its functionality improvements so I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers
Miguel
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Bald Wasp wrote:
Yawn
Hey Siri: Where is the nearest coffee shop?
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
From day one I have never been a fan of Apple products. Throughout the years ( decades! ) my non technical relatives have asked me to help solve Apple problems and the lack of transparency and flexibility of their computers and other devices has been a frustrating barrier which often precluded simple solutions. I am also annoyed by the "after 2 years its out of date and unsupported" mentality.

I am probably the only person on the planet who prefers a windows 10 phone (Nokia) which recently hit the tarmac at 15 mph and remained unscathed, admittedly inside a semi-soft leather holder. I also have two windows 10 tablets which will run any windows software, are as versatile as any PC, and use standard connectors ( USB and audio for example ).

Intel based products have reached a level of performance which has stabilised without need for further hardware development and the PC which I am using right now is well over 7 years old and needs no upgrades or replacements.

Apple products are a bit like new scooters. If you buy one every couple of years its because you enjoy having new ones not because you really need them.
@melk avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 300 (2012)

Enthusiast
@melk avatar
GTS 300 (2012)
UTC quote
lol, tell that to my sister, who just now upgraded her 2009 MacBook. my father has an iMac of similar vintage that he uses happily as his daily driver. terrific longevity.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
roadster wrote:
From day one I have never been a fan of Apple products. Throughout the years ( decades! ) my non technical relatives have asked me to help solve Apple problems and the lack of transparency and flexibility of their computers and other devices has been a frustrating barrier which often precluded simple solutions. I am also annoyed by the "after 2 years its out of date and unsupported" mentality.

I am probably the only person on the planet who prefers a windows 10 phone (Nokia) which recently hit the tarmac at 15 mph and remained unscathed, admittedly inside a semi-soft leather holder. I also have two windows 10 tablets which will run any windows software, are as versatile as any PC, and use standard connectors ( USB and audio for example ).

Intel based products have reached a level of performance which has stabilised without need for further hardware development and the PC which I am using right now is well over 7 years old and needs no upgrades or replacements.

Apple products are a bit like new scooters. If you buy one every couple of years its because you enjoy having new ones not because you really need them.
I can't argue with your logic on this one.

I packed up 3 iTouches and donated them to a local recycle depot.
Bought 2 Samsung Tab Pros (one for the wife) and haven't looked back since.
An HP Windows 10 notebook has replaced the old Mac which was no longer supported.
Couldn't be happier

BTW, got all 3 devices combined for less than half the price of 1 new Mac.

Almost forgot, all have jacks for headphones/ear buds.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Because my 6plus is still calling people on it's own. I ordered a 7 yesterday. What a nightmare. 2 hours on the phone. I wanted to shoot myself at the end of the day yesterday. Hot,humid and the whole day was a test on my last nerve. It will be sent on the 30th and my fingers are crossed that my phone doesn't call any east coast friends at 3am. My friend/roommates phone 6 is sending texts (odd how their the same phone and he's having trouble as well) to people. He caught it trying to send his financial data to a random person.
@ddennis669 avatar
UTC

Piaggio BV250 Tourer - Vespa Primavera 150

@ddennis669 avatar
Piaggio BV250 Tourer - Vespa Primavera 150
UTC quote
Bluetooth AirPods
It sounds like I am an outlier in this data. I haven't removed the ear buds from the original packages on the last three iPhones I have purchased. My helmets have Sena intercoms to use the phone and music. Even my 1997 Ford truck has a Bluetooth receiver that plugs into the cigarette lighter and transmits to the radio. I always thought that was why phones had bluetooth?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0207s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0058s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]