Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
The mystery of the clutch side case has been solved:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

It's a Bajaj case faked-up to look like an original.

Does anybody know what the deal is with this clip and screw? Also, the cush gear looks pretty roached. I'll have to take a closer look at it once it's out.

On the axle side, here's what I've found:
The rim is new.
The hub is old and totally worn out. Not a single good stud on it.
The brakes are new.
The brake hardware is old.
The backing plate is new.
The screws holding on the backing plate are not only old, but also sheet metal screws.
The clutch, cover, and all associated hardware are new.

The saga continues...

Best,
-Slashy
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Does anybody know what the deal is with this clip and screw?
the circlip secures/locates the bearing on the back side, there will be a corresponding one on the front side, between the bearing and seal. that sheet metal clip with cheesedick screw is holding in the circlip in place because the case is blowed out where the circlip is supposed to seat.

hth
-g
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know what the deal is with this clip and screw?
the circlip secures/locates the bearing on the back side, there will be a corresponding one on the front side, between the bearing and seal. that sheet metal clip with cheesedick screw is holding in the circlip in place because the case is blowed out where the circlip is supposed to seat.

hth
-g
greasy125,
Thanks for the quick reply!

So IRT Six Zero Three's question,
Yes, I will be doing my rebuild in a new case.
Laughing emoticon

Best,
-Slashy
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
With all the pics of what's wrong, the vendor looks shady to sell something like that.

Good luck!
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
3:5
UTC quote
was that clutch about to explode? Looks like the clip is on the outside of the basket and under the top plate.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
was that clutch about to explode? Looks like the clip is on the outside of the basket and under the top plate.
i think it's just a reflection or a byproduct of the flash. oh at least, that's what i was hoping...

-g
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
I spy with my little eye...
Red. Awesome use of the wrong screw, but guess also it's to hold the bearing in place, so it does not spin.

Purple. Part of the lip that holds bearing in place appears to be snapped off... Quite a common thing from what I have seen, caused by smacki the bearing in place (from the other side) far too hard.

Green. What is this? Looks like a lip/fold in something... Is it a JB Weld type product ?

Blue. That seems to be the end of the clutch circlip, & should be seated... Lucky it didn't fall out & clutch then springs apart.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Just a testament to why these things are referred to as Viet bodges. Smoothed over and prettied up to superficially look good. But the evils that lurk underneath can empty your pocketbook via misrepresentation or take your life. The seller needs to be called out on their pure lies !!!
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
I am greatly enjoying watching this process from the sidelines. Thanks for letting us watch.
In Vietnam I usually just rent a new Vespa with a driver. The bad part is my wife will not let be bring either home.
In Vietnam I usually just rent a new Vespa with a driver. The bad part is my wife will not let be bring either home.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
I bought a Vespa from the pilot I replaced in Viet Nam, then sold it to my replacement. I wonder if Slashy now owns a piece of it?
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
I took another look at the clutch before I took off for work this morning.
The clutch snap ring was fully seated and properly installed, so that image is just an optical illusion.
The chipping on the cush gear, however, is real. I believe that was a result of physical interference with the clutch basket due to misalignment from mismatched halves.

Hopefully I'll get the cases split tonight, but I may not be able to. I'm taking delivery of my new sidecar for the sock monkey today, and that may wind up occupying all of my time.

Best,
-Slashy
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
All,
Change in plans. I've decided to replace the whole shebang with a new LML turnkey motor and do my build on that. I'll still pull this one apart and document the bodginess inside.

lostboater,
If your wife let you take her home, I'd thank you for... nevermind. That wasn't going anywhere good
Best,
-Slashy
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
All,
Change in plans. I've decided to replace the whole shebang with a new LML turnkey motor and do my build on that. I'll still pull this one apart and document the bodginess inside.

lostboater,
If your wife let you take her home, I'd thank you for... nevermind. That wasn't going anywhere good
Best,
-Slashy
I hope you show all of the documentation of the issues with the cavemen that sold you this. Not like its going to matter because they will get other suckas! I still respect what youve done so you can educate others of the pitfalls and risks of wasting cash on one of these disasters.
UTC

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250
UTC quote
I'm glad you didn't get hurt by any of this...Just because something is running, doesn't mean it is safe. You should also warn you buddy if he is still riding his...
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
correct me if im wrong, but Bajaj uses different size bearings and a different crank right? Or maybe its the crank taper? if that's the case, if you would have tried to replace any of that, then it would not have fit if you used PX parts. I could be wrong, but remember something being different in those.
@mcweber12 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P200, 1974 90/100 smallframe, 1972 primavera (under construction), 1974 kawasaki F7

Hooked
@mcweber12 avatar
1980 P200, 1974 90/100 smallframe, 1972 primavera (under construction), 1974 kawasaki F7
UTC quote
The story continues and I'm so intrigued. Keep going Slash! It's money I don't have to find out what you're wondering.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
They are complete frauds and ass####s for giving you a Bajaj engine case.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Response from the seller:
Quote:
Thanks for the pictures. Its definitely true , if i had of seen this before they closed the engine
I wouldn't have let it through. We have 3 mechanics and we're now investigating and looking
into which one it was. Instead of adding to the housing and re machining they added physical
metal to about 1/5th of the housing to make the bearing housing stronger.Although the end result is the same, it may not look that nice but it looks solid and will still last the lifetime of the engine. Still , that is no excuse and
I'm sorry they did this. I feel like i've been cheated by one of my staff members and I have to
find out who it was. Just as with (my buddy's) Vespa (who has left us good feedback) your Vespa is solid and built by the same company so no need to worry about what other things you might find as there will not be any.
Tomorrow I'll ask our main mechanic if its possible to send you another engine half and if that would work. We can still put your engine under warranty even though you've opened it.
So I suppose I'll go through the engine and send an itemized list of everything that's unsat just to see what they'll do about it.
Of course... I won't actually use anything they send me.

Best,
-Slashy
@vesperia avatar
UTC

Hooked
'74 super, '07 tzaizhouzing (faux big ruckus)

Hooked
@vesperia avatar
'74 super, '07 tzaizhouzing (faux big ruckus)
UTC quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
All,
Have you determined whether the frame has any bodgy welds under the pretty paint? I remember you did the magnet test, but just wondering if you're planning to strip it down to see what's underneath.

btw I love this thread thanks for posting!
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
vesperia wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
All,
Have you determined whether the frame has any bodgy welds under the pretty paint? I remember you did the magnet test, but just wondering if you're planning to strip it down to see what's underneath.

btw I love this thread thanks for posting!
vesperia,
I'm not going to ruin the paint if I don't have to. I'm going to look for signs of bodge welds inside the frame. They're much more difficult to hide in there.
Happy Thanksgiving,
-Slashy
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
UTC quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
Quote:
... it may not look that nice but it looks solid and will still last the lifetime of the engine...
And the lifetime of the engine is?
Hmm... let's see, it's about a quarter to one now....
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Double-tap...
⚠️ Last edited by GoSlash27 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
Quote:
... it may not look that nice but it looks solid and will still last the lifetime of the engine...
And the lifetime of the engine is?
Hmm... let's see, it's about a quarter to one now....
Well... to be fair to the seller, I haven't found anything yet that would've caused this engine to die. At least, not yet. Shoddy parts and workmanship, but I could reassemble it and it'd still run.
Selling this as a "numbers matching engine", OTOH, is downright fraudulent.

I'm more concerned about the state of the rear hub. That thing was a dangerous piece of garbage.

Best,
-Slashy
@chris_com_plane avatar
UTC

'74 ET3

@chris_com_plane avatar
'74 ET3
UTC quote
I'm itching to hear the seller's reaction to these recent findings of Slashy's Bodge Season 2!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

22 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

22 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
I'm more concerned about the state of the rear hub. That thing was a dangerous piece of garbage.
In other words, you haven't found anything that would make the engine die, but you did find something that would slmost make it better if the engine DID die.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:
In other words, you haven't found anything that would make the engine die, but you did find something that would slmost make it better if the engine DID die.
'Zackly!

-Slashy
@selah_v avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1963 Vespa 150 1980 P200E

Enthusiast
@selah_v avatar
1963 Vespa 150 1980 P200E
UTC quote
Awesome Thread
Go Slashy
Awesome thread. Please continue to keep us updated. I'm a newbie and I'm learning a lot.
@keaton85 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Stella 2T, P200, Rally 180 Euro

Addicted
@keaton85 avatar
UTC quote
You can probably find a good P200 or PX motor for above the same as a brand new LML. I actually have an LML motor I just went over but not really worth the cost of shipping when you can get them from India for cheap.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
keaton85 wrote:
You can probably find a good P200 or PX motor for above the same as a brand new LML. I actually have an LML motor I just went over but not really worth the cost of shipping when you can get them from India for cheap.
Maybe. Most P200 engines you will find need a rebuild, so it would add to the cost. Also, and this has been mentioned before, the Stella engine you get in a Stella scoot or Scooterworks is a different grade from the crate engines from Ebay (India). Factory built versus third party. Slashy's working with Mr Hodge, so it will be right. Too much garbage on Ebay - ya gotta be carefull.
@keaton85 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@keaton85 avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
keaton85 wrote:
Maybe. Most P200 engines you will find need a rebuild, so it would add to the cost. Also, and this has been mentioned before, the Stella engine you get in a Stella scoot or Scooterworks is a different grade from the crate engines from Ebay (India). Factory built versus third party. Slashy's working with Mr Hodge, so it will be right. Too much garbage on Ebay - ya gotta be carefull.
All depends what you can find out in the wild. Personally, I would never buy a new motor since they are so cheap and easy to rebuild. You can buy a complete Stella for the price of a new LML, or a rebuild by someone else. Look around on craigslist, cheap 125s, 150s or Stellas come up once in a while. Perfect for an engine donor for this caliber of scoot.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I agree on most of your points, but around here Stellas seem to go for not much less than, say, a P150 or even a P200. Crazy, but scooters don't get much respect here.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
All,
I've already decided to go with the turnkey LML. Rob Hodge will be getting me one straight from SIP.

Best,
-Slashy
@keaton85 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@keaton85 avatar
UTC quote
This looks like a perfect example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191977340932
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Gimongous photodump! Join me for a spelunking expedition in a Vietbodge motor!

Stay tuned...
-Slashy
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
keaton85 wrote:
This looks like a perfect example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191977340932
Looks like 3 of them and at best offer, you can probably get it a lot cheaper, or maybe two for 1.5.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Here's the link to the entire album. I'll just post directly the things I found unsatisfactory.
http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/Bodge-a-Palooza/BaP20/story

There's a lot of metal in the residual oil. This would've caused premature failure of the bearings. Where did all the metal come from? Well...
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text Here's the fly-side crank journal, complete with "swiss bearing".
A waste of a perfectly good crankshaft. The rotary valve is trashed and at some point they seriously overheated it. I know why the rotary valve is ruined, but I don't know what caused it to overheat.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Here's more scarring in the bajaj clutch side from the piston kerplosion that blew out the original cylinder head.
And here's the remains of what used to be the rotary pad.

I believe the crank is original to the bajaj case. When the piston shattered (shadooby), shrapnel went everywhere and took out the pad and rotary valve. The motor seized and the crank overheated.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
The selector is not new, but serviceable.
2nd gear is toast.
3rd gear is toast.
4th gear is toast. Clearly not new gears.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Cruciform is toast. Not new.
The oil drain was helicoiled. I actually consider this to be a bonus. I wish they had done the same to the oil fill while they were at it.
Behold the "locks" on my layshaft. I should add that there was not a single lockwasher to be found in any of the stacks holding my case halves together, yet the hardware is new. They seem to have a phobia about lockwashers in Vietnam.
OP
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
I'd consider this axle to still be serviceable after redrilling the cotter pin holes, but it's definitely not new. Somebody hammered on this thing seriously hard and apparently was never told about using the castle nut to protect the threads.
Damage to the case from the cush gear. I'm guessing this is due to things being out of alignment from the mismatched case halves.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0514s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0332s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]