@niz76 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 Vespa P200E

Hooked
@niz76 avatar
1980 Vespa P200E
UTC quote
Might want to lap the new flywheel to your crank. I wish I would've done this at first when I installed a lighter flywheel on mine- it ended up shearing a few flywheel keys and setting me back a ways in my build until I figured out what was happening and then lapped it on. Been all good since then...
OP
UTC

P200E

P200E
UTC quote
So you are recommending I very a new fly wheel?
UTC

Enthusiast
Px kitted and blinged

Enthusiast
Px kitted and blinged
UTC quote
No expert on the P200. Could yours be a rally 200 engine check the serial number on a Web site

In the UK I think the 200 rally uses an ignition system called Femsa, I'm wondering if yours in its history has had a conversion to Ducatti hence the non standard flywheel.

Never seen one like that ever
@niz76 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 Vespa P200E

Hooked
@niz76 avatar
1980 Vespa P200E
UTC quote
dpollisme wrote:
So you are recommending I very a new fly wheel?
No, no sorry, I thought you installed a new flywheel. Re-reading I see that you did not. Whatever flywheel you end up with, it's a good idea to lap it to the crank- cheap and easy to do! Grinding a little off the cylinder to make the flywheel clear is not a big deal... shouldn't hurt anything as long as it's within reason. I had to do the same with my Polini 208 cylinder.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
That flywheel is definitely not stock. Maybe electric start flywheel but no teeth on the outside? That won't mess up your engine but we just noticed its different.

The most important thing is to time your engine! Search the forum, scooter help and YouTube for timing tips. Stock p200 should be 23* BTDC.
@goslash27 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Viet-bodge

Addicted
@goslash27 avatar
Viet-bodge
UTC quote
Solo Rider wrote:
What's current thinking on the cause?
I'll put my chips on "they didn't set the timing correctly when they replaced the stator".
I'm not yet experienced enough to consider myself a "Vespa guy", but I've been around the block with internal combustion engines. If I'm off base, I'm sure somebody will be around shortly to correct me.

Looks like it was hammering so bad it actually blasted the wristpin retainer right out of the piston. Did you find it hiding in your crankcase?

Best,
-Slashy
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0208s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0126s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]