OP
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 KTM SuperDuke 990, 2014 GTS 300 super

Enthusiast
2007 KTM SuperDuke 990, 2014 GTS 300 super
UTC quote
Yesterday my wife were riding our 2014 GTS 300, it was a 110 mile round trip riding at 65-70mph. At about halfway back the car in front of of us turned left, so we slowed down for them to turn. After they turned I got back on the throttle and noticed when I did the check engine light came on. It stayed on for maybe 10 sec. and then turned off. Not sure why this happened, when I started the bike up to leave for home I did not hold the start switch as long as I should have and it idle rough and slow for a few sec. Not sure if that caused it but that was a bout 30 min before I noticed the light come on. Should I worry about the light coming on even though it went off a few seconds later?
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
Check your coolant level. That's one possibility.
@flanderswasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@flanderswasp avatar
2014 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
There doesn't have to be an actual problem. It might simply be a bad contact on the oil pressure or the coolant temp sensor, to name a few. It might also be a sign that your engine is about to decease, but if the engine light goes on and off, check for bad contact after you've checked the vital signs (water, oil, temp)
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC

Addicted
250 gts, nitroed zip 69cc " the teenager", 200 now 300 lc zip "all grown up"

Addicted
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC quote
triggered ecl the facts.
Hi there,
Contry to advice, the ecl is NOT triggered by low coolant, high temp, or low oil, the ecl is triggered by the exhaust lambda sensor being out of its parameters (as simple as altitude variation, a tank of crappy fuel or a dirty air filter) or the electrical chargeing system out of its parameters i.e. under or over charging.
Cheers Andy.
@flanderswasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@flanderswasp avatar
2014 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Re: triggered ecl the facts.
andythebuilder wrote:
Hi there,
Contry to advice, the ecl is NOT triggered by low coolant, high temp, or low oil, the ecl is triggered by the exhaust lambda sensor being out of its parameters (as simple as altitude variation, a tank of crappy fuel or a dirty air filter) or the electrical chargeing system out of its parameters i.e. under or over charging.
Cheers Andy.
I wasn't talking about coolant or oil levels triggering the engine light, but a bad contact or failiure of a sensor do will trigger the engine light. One GTS a few month ago had the engine light going on regularly. After solving the water temp sensor problem the light issue was solved. The ECI definitely checks whether the sensors are functioning. However, if you get an engine alarm, you better check oil and water, as not properly working sensors won't warn you correctly or show correct readings. The ECI won't alarm you if temp is high, but the meter does (if it works) and low oil pressure does trigger the ECI. Failing parameters due to bad sensors trigger the engine light as a precaution If you think a crappy lambda sensor is your only worry when the engine light goes on, you might be in for a big surprise after a while.
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC quote
FlandersWasp wrote:
andythebuilder wrote:
Hi there,
Cheers Andy.
I wasn't talking about coolant or oil levels triggering the engine light, but a bad contact or failiure of a sensor do will trigger the engine light. One GTS a few month ago had the engine light going on regularly. After solving the water temp sensor problem the light issue was solved. The ECI definitely checks whether the sensors are functioning. However, if you get an engine alarm, you better check oil and water, as not properly working sensors won't warn you correctly or show correct readings. The ECI won't alarm you if temp is high, but the meter does (if it works) and low oil pressure does trigger the ECI. Failing parameters due to bad sensors trigger the engine light as a precaution If you think a crappy lambda sensor is your only worry when the engine light goes on, you might be in for a big surprise after a while.
Well that's all new to me ,when did piaggio start a full all sensor monitoring system ?, is there a new cpu? Can you provide the latest spec data sheet / owners manual with the new warning system ?, i am very curious as i work on the piaggio leader and quaser engines at a high end tuning level on a daily basis, i also deal with piaggio UK direct regarding purchasing parts, i have not had any bulletin sheets with the changes to the electronic spec.
Any further information would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Andy.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
FlandersWasp wrote:
low oil pressure does trigger the ECI.
No it doesn't - I'd be interested to hear how you think the ECU knows anything about oil pressure. Hint - there's no oil pressure sensor connection into the ECU...
@flanderswasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@flanderswasp avatar
2014 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
[/quote]Well that's all new to me ,when did piaggio start a full all sensor monitoring system ?, is there a new cpu? Can you provide the latest spec data sheet / owners manual with the new warning system ?, i am very curious as i work on the piaggio leader and quaser engines at a high end tuning level on a daily basis, i also deal with piaggio UK direct regarding purchasing parts, i have not had any bulletin sheets with the changes to the electronic spec.
Any further information would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Andy.[/quote]

Hmmm, well, pull out your temp sensor connector and see what happens to your engine check light. Try the same with your oil sensor.
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
FlandersWasp wrote:
low oil pressure does trigger the ECI.
No it doesn't - I'd be interested to hear how you think the ECU knows anything about oil pressure. Hint - there's no oil pressure sensor connection into the ECU...
Thank you, common sense at last
@flanderswasp avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTS 300ie

Addicted
@flanderswasp avatar
2014 GTS 300ie
UTC quote
Well, I'm sure a bad contact of the temp sensor, which is connected to the ECI pin 9 causes the engine light to go on, as I tested it myself. As for the oil sensor, mea culpa, I just checked the circuit diagram, wrong assumption.

Still, the ECI does checks the temp sensor as correcting the connection/disconnecting triggers the light. I can't help seeing what I see. Can you explain that...
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC quote
FlandersWasp wrote:
Well, I'm sure a bad contact of the temp sensor, which is connected to the ECI pin 9 causes the engine light to go on, as I tested it myself. As for the oil sensor, mea culpa, I just checked the circuit diagram, wrong assumption.

Still, the ECI does checks the temp sensor as correcting the connection/disconnecting triggers the light. I can't help seeing what I see. Can you explain that...
Hi,
The temp sensor that is connected to the ecu is actually the little piece of plastic that looks like a pop rivet located in front of the side stand mount.
This monitors ambient air temperature for the electronic fuel injection metering / fast running/idle circuit.
The temp sender unit from the cylinder head is in no way connected to the ecu.
Cheers Andy
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
andythebuilder wrote:
The temp sender unit from the cylinder head is in no way connected to the ecu.
And that's where *you*are wrong as well.

Look at the cct diagram - pin 9 is where the ECU temp sensor (a separate one from the gauge sensor, but in the same package) connects - and so I'd be very wary of insisting the ECU won't take notice of it. Whether this notice will make the ECL light up - I haven't bothered to investigate.
⬆️    About 4 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
300GTS Sport

Lurker
300GTS Sport
UTC quote
Engine Light.
My engine yellow light came on, without the many posts and You Tube viewing I just would not have had a clue.
Mine is a 66 plate brought from Fowlers only done 800 dry miles so laid up a lot with an Optimate charger.
Checked Coolant level OK, I assumed that the Lander sensor was ok?
Took the battery cover off and checked the voltage while running maxed out at around 14,6 Volts DC, left the battery on charge all night and came to all green on the optimate so it was not the charging circuit.
What next took the plastic bucket above the engine and noted the large rubber covered plug socket going into the management system held in place with a torque screw.
Just gave the socket a shove home and the engine light was off when I started the engine, Happy Days!
I disconnected the battery then removed the torque screw removed the socket "Roll back rubber sleeve and press clip to release" and the I put a small amount of Deoxit fluid in each connector and wiped the excess off. Reassembled and been for a 5 mile run OK so far and fingers crossed.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
And welcome to MV.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0140s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0074s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]