@checkereddan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
........'07 GTS 250........

Enthusiast
@checkereddan avatar
........'07 GTS 250........
UTC quote
Before reading this, check out the original post here...
Broken down LX 150...fuel line rupture.

Please forgive me if I eff up the nomenclature. I'm only mildly mechnically inclined.

Ok so I picked up my LX 150 yesterday and shame on me for not looking it over before I left the lot. The good news is that it is running and the battery drain was rerouted. The bad news is that the "T" connection was aligned differently and they used zip ties (instead of hose clamps) to attach the lines to the "T". Addtionally, the battery drain drips on the exhaust cover plate, staining it and causing damage to the exhaust pipe paint.

Here's my questions:
1) Does the "T" alignment matter?
2) Are zipties ok in the place of hose clamps?
3) How can I repair the acid damage to the exhaust?
4) Where the hell does the battery drain normally go? (Pictures please!)

Thanks for all of your help!
24 hours worth of dripping acid damage.
24 hours worth of dripping acid damage.
Zip ties???  .....battery drips on to exhaust.
Zip ties??? .....battery drips on to exhaust.
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
While I'm not a factory-trained Vespa technician, I would have to say that IMO, zipties are fine. Tiebands (or zipties) can be *extremely* tight when applied properly - i.e., with the use of a "tie gun." I use them at work to tighten connections on a cardiopulmonary bypass circuit. That's 3/8" (ID) tubing with a 3/32" wall thickness carrying blood being pumped at up to 7L/min., and connected directly to the patient's aorta. No leaks ever, and if the connection separates, there's a good chance the patient dies. If they work for the Heart-Lung machine, they should be fine for a 4-stroke engine.
@ifixjets avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986 Honda CH150 Deluxe.

Ossessionato
@ifixjets avatar
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986 Honda CH150 Deluxe.
UTC quote
The trouble with plastic zip ties, they become brittle with heat and time, they may fail sooner then later.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Ifixjets wrote:
The trouble with plastic zip ties, they become brittle with heat and time, they may fail sooner then later.
There's plenty of other, more important bit's in there that get brittle with heat and time to worry about. Fuel line comes to mind....make sure it gets routinely checked and replaced as needed!
@dave avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS 250

Hooked
@dave avatar
2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
I don't understand why your battery is dripping, mine has never dripped a drop, in the Vespa or a car?
@morvran avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 GTSie and 1986 T5

Addicted
@morvran avatar
2008 GTSie and 1986 T5
UTC quote
The battery in my old ET4 dripped enough to completely corrode the battery compartment until I realized that the mechanics hadn't reattached the drain tube.
UTC

Hooked
2007 LX 150

Hooked
2007 LX 150
UTC quote
Quote:
4) Where the hell does the battery drain normally go? (Pictures please!)
Well, no pics for you, but on mine the battery tubing is not on the exhaust side. It is on the opposite side and runs down the length of the metal brace thing with the large holes in it, almost to the bottom of the cowel.

It looks like:

1) Your battery has the drain on the positive side of the battery (opposite of mine)

2) you need longer tubing, and you need to route it away from things it could drip on, and away from heat sources like the exhaust.

Again, as I said in your other post, that tubing has a tendency (for me) to come undone at the battery, and then you will deal with it dripping inside the battery compartment. I check mine often, as my shock bolt has a pretty white coating of corrosive I have yet to remove, and white "splashes" inside the battery compartment.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0186s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0095s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]