OP
UTC

Lurker
2016 Primavera

Lurker
2016 Primavera
UTC quote
I am sorry if everybody already knows this, but I was unable to find it through Search, and I "rounded" the locknut blundering into the knowledge.

My lovely wife is the new owner of a 2016 Primavera, which she promptly dropped. She survived well, but in the process the left hand mirror was forced counter-clockwise, and tightened.

By reading this forum, and searching for mirrors on-line, I quickly learned that ( on the Primavera at least ), the right-hand mirror uses standard threads ( righty-tighty, lefty-loosey ), while the left-hand mirror uses reverse threads.

What I did not realize is that the locknut on the left mirror also uses reverse threads. In trying to loosen the nut, I mistakenly moved the wrench counter-clockwise ( looking down towards the handlebars ), which only tightened things further.

In my ignorance and frustration, I wound up "rounding" the top of the locknut.

Its all good now. I did finally get the mirror off by turning the left "stem" clockwise, ( and also discovered that the two washers were missing on the left mirror, while they were present on the right one. )

Thanks to everyone on the forum for the great information. The user manual, and even the shop manual assume a lot of prior knowledge. This forum has already helped me tremendously.

Updated September 30th. Thank you all for your responses, and to Judy for her concern for Kathy. The damage to the scooter was a bit more than the mirror. I have completed the repairs, and we will be back on the road tomorrow.
⚠️ Last edited by kdkauffmann on UTC; edited 1 time
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. Sorry your wife had a fall but glad she's alright. So glad we have this forum. Been on here since '06 and it's a life line for us over here. we don;t have a good dealer. Even my mechanic looks up stuff on here. Is your wife riding again?
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
The mirror thread direction changed a few years ago, so it's not consistent between scoots.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
When you get them out, put some grease on the threads that go into the perch. It will make life a lot easier down the road.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
I was out riding today and this post popped into my head as I looked at the mirrors.

It does make sense to have them opposite thread. The wind blowing on the starboard mirror tends to tighten it. The wind blowing on the port mirror would loosen it unless the thread was reversed.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Interesting point that they are not all consistent. Can anyone verify which models/years of the modern Vespas have a clockwise thread on the left mirror and which ones have a counter clockwise (reversed) thread?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0308s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0069s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]