@jjschwi avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX150 'Midnight Blue'

Hooked
@jjschwi avatar
UTC quote
Here are the photos of my new blinker conversion completed. I absolutly love the results, it was so easy and cheap to do and the results are perfect.
What do you think?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@salty_dodd avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
(GT200L) ... no more scoot :o(

Molto Verboso
@salty_dodd avatar
(GT200L) ... no more scoot :o(
UTC quote
I love the colors of your scoot.

How are the new lights different?

Are they Euro, or what?

What did you do to make them different?
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black 2007 LX 150, Crhome Kit, Flyscreen...more to come...

Molto Verboso
Black 2007 LX 150, Crhome Kit, Flyscreen...more to come...
UTC quote
I'll reiterate a question that hasn't been answered on a few other threads about the blinkers:

I'm stupidly insane enough to want the tacky bubble blinkers on but also would like the "running lights" to blink as well.

Is this a pipe dream? Can it be done for those lame enough like me?

*The reason why is pre-dawn and night time riding that I do.

BTW, the bike looks GREAT!
@david_h avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 LX150 SILF Midnight Blue

Addicted
@david_h avatar
UTC quote
That looks really good. I'm putting that conversion on the list for my blue LX150. (Hmm. I'm also digging the house in the background. Maybe I could convert my house to look like that as well...) The tan seat combo is nice. Mine is black with a grey mottling.

TBone - I'm also a little conflicted too. I do like the safety of the big blinkers. I also do some pre-dawn and evening commuting (I'm at work right now...really), and I like the idea that I can be seen.

Opp - boss is coming....
OP
@jjschwi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jjschwi avatar
UTC quote
I dont think you should worry so much about the saftey of the factory blinker being removed. The new Conversion bulbs are really bright, and the orange really catches your eye. At night it is even more bright, I think you are more likley to be seen in the morning and night with a white headlight and orange running/blinker bulbs, than white running bulbs. Think of any car out there, The blinkers are on the sides below your line of sight just like the scooter.

The house in the background is not mine! I wish. I just thought it made kind of a funny background. painting the picture of what most people would think of a Vespa owner living the Lavish lifestyle. I think most would consider us yuppies for owning a Vespa.

You blue seat came with a grey saddle? hummm I thought the standard was tan?

I really want to get the crash bars, and the Windshield next.
@dougandmichelle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
None. Maybe again someday when Michelle won't worry.

Molto Verboso
@dougandmichelle avatar
None. Maybe again someday when Michelle won't worry.
UTC quote
Looks great. I did this to Michelle's LX and love it. I think it's actually safer because the old blinkers would kinda get washed out by the head light and the new blinkers are much eaiser to see.
@david_h avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@david_h avatar
UTC quote
DougandMichelle wrote:
Looks great. I did this to Michelle's LX and love it. I think it's actually safer because the old blinkers would kinda get washed out by the head light and the new blinkers are much eaiser to see.
Good point. That might be all the justification i need.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
The turn signal pods are USA standard/required as specified by DOT regs. The European bikes use the running lights for blinkers.

My thoughts are that IF the Euro version was legal and met DOT standards, why are bikes destined for the states wearing the earrings?

The answer has to be that the Euro style blinkers DO NOT MEET DOT standards, either because they are too close together or too low on the scooter.

If Vespa USA could save money by eliminating the light pods from the headset, they would. Apparently they must equip them that way in order to get them in the states. Why anyone would want to alter them is a mystery to me.

All it will take is someone to get clobbered making a turn on a Vespa and the driver who hits him claims he didn't see the turn signal. Then, the attorneys will chew that up in court and the Vespa owner will be proved to have altered his turn signals, and...........................
UTC

Hooked
2007 LX 150

Hooked
2007 LX 150
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Why anyone would want to alter them is a mystery to me.
It looks "cleaner" on a naked scoot.

With front crash guards and a windscreen, I actually think the stock signals give the scoot a fatter, wider, meaner look, less toy-like.

Bottom line, I like the way they look with or without.
@zwerski avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"
UTC quote
Looks good! Now you have to knock off those side reflectors to complete the clean transformation.
OP
@jjschwi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jjschwi avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Looks good! Now you have to knock off those side reflectors to complete the clean transformation.
Do you mean the reflectors on the front fender and the back red reflectors? If I remove them I have to just get those plugs correct?

I just got $150 for my birthday today, should I get the Falco Crash bars or the Vespa Short Windscreen?
@ariw22 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 LX150 (Dragon Red), '06 GTS250ie (Black)

Addicted
@ariw22 avatar
'07 LX150 (Dragon Red), '06 GTS250ie (Black)
UTC quote
jjschwi wrote:
Quote:
Do you mean the reflectors on the front fender and the back red reflectors? If I remove them I have to just get those plugs correct?

I just got $150 for my birthday today, should I get the Falco Crash bars or the Vespa Short Windscreen?
windscreen!

by the way your bike looks great! i actually wished (only for a second) that i waited and got my LX in blue. i think i'm gonna go for the euro-conversion too
OP
@jjschwi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jjschwi avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
My thoughts are that IF the Euro version was legal and met DOT standards, why are bikes destined for the states wearing the earrings?

The answer has to be that the Euro style blinkers DO NOT MEET DOT standards, either because they are too close together or too low on the scooter.
Nightwing: I understand the logic of your thinking, and if you take the DOT standards literay your right they are not to standard. In fact they are 1/2" to close together. Show me data that shows having your blinkers just 1/2" further apart will improve your visibility and make you more crash resistant? I understand there needs to be standards by the DOT, but this conversion is not the same as removing your blinker all together. and the height if the blinker is not the issue, its the width. and at 1/2" that to me is not a problem. Its totally up to you. chances are the lawyer does not know they are 1/2" to close together either, unless hes a Vespa enthusiest!! Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT 200

Hooked
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
"knock off those side reflectors..."

yea, that's just what i'd do, remove reflectors from a moving object that's statistically hard enough to see with them left on.

it's called contributory negligence. better learn to embrace that concept (in many states).
@twharton avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX150 Red, Sito+, UNI/ Buddy 125 'Piped and Pimped'

Hooked
@twharton avatar
PX150 Red, Sito+, UNI/ Buddy 125 'Piped and Pimped'
UTC quote
Uhhh...I hate to be picky but,

You missed a spot when you cut the grass...see right over by that shub. Just hit it with the weed wacker and pay attention next time! Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 200

Hooked
Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
Hi,

There are two things to consider if considering ditching DOT for Euro lighting.

First, somewhere along the distribution chain, any non-DOT lighting is labled for "Off Road Use Only", maybe not always at the retail level, but it's the only way these things can be imported. This gives the Gendarmerie probable cause for a Stop and a Citation. Happens all the time with Tuner or modified Sports Cars.

Secondly, most insurance policies specify (usually somewhere buried in the text, or Fine Print) that the Scooter is, and remains, unmodified and meets all relevant DOT and EPA standards. In the event of an unpleasantness, it allows them a reason to go sideways, which you can then only pursue in the courts with a pile of evidence already against you.

I'm not saying not to modify your scooter. I'm saying don't modify your scooter without the foreknowledge of these considerations...

Happy Motoring!... Jim
OP
@jjschwi avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jjschwi avatar
UTC quote
Some laws are just to annoying to follow!
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
I thought "Mods" modify their scoots.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0202s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0091s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]