@zwerski avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"
UTC quote
So, if the LEADER engine runs better without the evap hose connected, who's to say we can't just remove the cannister altogether?

The idea struck me as I was at the San Jose Vespa/San Jose BMW dealer yesterday checking out the Portofino Green LXV (ma-ma!) and saw ALL the BMW bikes had the evap cannister prominently attached way outside the frame and in a very easy-to-access spot. This seems like both an afterhtought for us "Baum-Umarmen der Kalifornier" and a way to let the buyer know that it can be taken off easily; it was almost begging to be removed.

So, I want mine gone off my GT. How do I do it, and what do I need to connect to what?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
It's not so much that they run better without the evap system, just that the evap system is easily overwhelmed the first time you overfill your tank. On the GT, simply disconnecting the evap hose at the carb will remedy the problems caused, and allow you to reconnect it later if necessary. You could remove the cannister, but it'll only save you about a pound or two.

The GTS is a bit harder, because the clamps are harder to remove and because it appears to fail in a different manner, allowing vacuum to form in the gas tank. I think there's a valve that gets stuck, independent of the evap cannister, and requires removal of the gas tank vent hose from the valve.
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport
UTC quote
I left my evap canister in there because it was a bigger pain to remove it than it was to just disconnect.

This reminds me of the crappy truck I bought recently where the previous owner removed certain evap components and subsequently made it a nightmare for me to get it smogged. Leave it in there, you never know when the smog nazis will require us to smog these mopeds of ours.
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
I just cut the hose. Easy to splice back together that way.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0088s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0024s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]