@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3220
Location: KCMO
 
Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3220
Location: KCMO
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Question;

Why do Italians always have baskets of fruit and hard breads on the Sunday dinner table?

Answer;

Ammunition.

Awesome!
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3864
Location: Camden, Maine
 
MV Saint
@jimh avatar
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3864
Location: Camden, Maine
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Bryce-O-Rama wrote:
I'm not some kind of Italy only snob who thinks the Italians can do no wrong. I've owned too many Italian cars to swallow that tripe.
And I have had too many Italian relatives to swallow that tripe.

Italian trivia:

Question;

Why do Italians always have baskets of fruit and hard breads on the Sunday dinner table?

Answer;

Ammunition.

ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon

Cheers guys i really needed that
@eenie816 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1003
Location: birmingham, al
 
Addicted
@eenie816 avatar
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1003
Location: birmingham, al
UTC quote
jimh wrote:
eenie816 wrote:
i have/had two stellas and i work at a vespa dealer and sold pxs. there's pros/cons to both.

i've had/have nothing mechanically wrong with my stellas, but the electricals are cruddy. all my electrical problems i've been able to figure out and fix myself and i know nothing about electrical systems. the px is definitely better quality wise, but our techs and myself think that the stella engine is much better as far as performance goes.

if you don't mind paying extra than get a the px, but the stella is not bad for the money. just be prepared to work on them, any of them. general maintenance is easy peasy and always carry spare plugs, oil, cables, tire tubes and some tools with you. i got most of my tools i carry for cheap at big lots.
Just read this X2
Cheers
yeah, i have to reread my posts sometimes too. i can't figure out what i'm saying half the time either.
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3864
Location: Camden, Maine
 
MV Saint
@jimh avatar
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3864
Location: Camden, Maine
UTC quote
Bryce, I am not trying to impress you or anyone. ( Maybe read my words again)

As i have pointed out, i am not here for a SHITE flinging contest.

You just might be, I'm not sure what your motives are?
Are emoticons needed with every utterance and statement?

Oh! I did see some Non Piaggio parts, Ducati, Zadi not much more.

@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3220
Location: KCMO
 
Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3220
Location: KCMO
UTC quote
jimh wrote:
Oh! I did see some Non Piaggio parts, Ducati, Zadi not much more.
The company I work for makes parts in all sorts of places. We also hire other companies to make parts for us. Despite the fact that those components have our name molded in, they weren't made by us. That's my point. I doubt you would be able to determine where any given Piaggio part is made just by looking at it. At least not without looking at two that were made in the same place.

I had this experience with the vacuum fuel valve. I thought mine might be bad and I took it out and compared it to the one I bought from my Vespa dealer. The old one was a golden color, like a metal with some cadmium plating to it, or like you see on older aluminum that had strange mold release agents used. The new one was very different, and I could tell it was not from the same tooling as the old one, it was also not made of the same metal. Therefore, I gather the two parts were not made in the same place. I left the old one on, and I'm taking the new (and never used) one back because the new one looks to be of terrible quality. If I had to guess, I would say the new one was from China (metal quality and the crappy casting). That said, if I saw only one type or the other on the assembly line, I wouldn't have a clue as to where it came from. I'm not altogether sure where the original came from. Japan, Taiwan, and even Italy all come to mind, but there are other possibilities there too. Not being marked, I'll never know for sure.

Further, you say Vespa = Quality, but there are plenty of people on this board who have had more problems with their scooters than others have had with Hondas, Kymcos, etc. I've only had one problem on my entire French scooter that wasn't a problem with the Piaggio engine, and boy have I had problems with it! So when we talk about the problems people have had with Stellas, that's reasonable to mention, but that's all anecdotal. It would be like me saying that all of Piaggio's LEADER engines suck just because I've had a bad one. It's also a lot like saying that all Vespas have trouble free engines because we don't hear much about them. We don't hear much about problems with PXs because so few have been sold in the US since they were released again. Several times as many Stellas have been sold here since they were first brought over. It's only natural that we would hear more about them than the PX.

So say what you believe. I've got no issue with that. However, if what you say isn't entirely accurate, be prepared to be called on it.
UTC

Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 146
Location: BayArea
 
Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 146
Location: BayArea
UTC quote
you guys want quality go buy a honda...how's that for closing a can of worms?!
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3864
Location: Camden, Maine
 
MV Saint
@jimh avatar
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3864
Location: Camden, Maine
UTC quote
Bryce, I agree with all you said

Just have a great day.

Cheers
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3220
Location: KCMO
 
Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3220
Location: KCMO
UTC quote
jimh wrote:
Bryce, I agree with all you said

Just have a great day.

Cheers
Now you're just letting me off too easy. Hope your day is awesome and you get to spend at least part of it in your fantastic collection of scooters.
@hypercrew avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200 (Kit to 210 w/Scorpion exhaust) and a girfriend that came with an 06 LX150 and a 67 Honda CBR
Joined: UTC
Posts: 172
Location: Chagrin Falls, OHIO
 
Hooked
@hypercrew avatar
GT200 (Kit to 210 w/Scorpion exhaust) and a girfriend that came with an 06 LX150 and a 67 Honda CBR
Joined: UTC
Posts: 172
Location: Chagrin Falls, OHIO
UTC quote
I know people who own both, the PX'ers are happy, the Stellas keep degenerating every year they are owned.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black 2007 LX 150, Crhome Kit, Flyscreen...more to come...
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1030
Location: West Sacramento
 
Molto Verboso
Black 2007 LX 150, Crhome Kit, Flyscreen...more to come...
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1030
Location: West Sacramento
UTC quote
Tom, I think you have enough of a list to actually go back and speak with the management of the dealership. Negligence is a fairly serious thing, and I'm pretty sure the BBB of OH would help you in building a legal case.

Before it escelates to that point, again speak with management. You should have some free services coming your way.

Is there another dealer close by you could go to with the same list of complaints and ask them for some free service?
@goofy_foot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 and some motorcycles
Joined: UTC
Posts: 300
Location: Portland OR
 
Hooked
@goofy_foot avatar
2010 GTS 300 and some motorcycles
Joined: UTC
Posts: 300
Location: Portland OR
UTC quote
Hypercrew wrote:
I know people who own both, the PX'ers are happy, the Stellas keep degenerating every year they are owned.
Disclaimer: This is only a generalization based on what I have seen firsthand, still, I feel it bears repeating:

Stella owners:
- Do a lot of the work themselves either because they think they know how or out of necessity to save money
- Add a bunch of aftermarket performance parts which subjects the engine to more abuse
- Commute on them year-round
- Leave them parked outside
- Log high miles at high speeds

PX owners:
- Ride on nice days or weekends, not in the winter or in the rain
- Generally log less miles than Stella owners and fewer WOT miles
- Return to the dealer for all scheduled maintainance
- Don't work on the bike themselves because they can afford to have a mechanic work on thier bike
-Generally have more money than a Stella owner so they are more likely to store thier bike in a warm garage rather than outside under a tarp
- Lovingly care for their bikes because they know they have purchased a classic

Yes, these are generalizations. No this is not scientific. Absolutely there are vintage Vespa riders that beat the living crap out of thier bikes too. However, it is almost always on an Italian Vespa at least 20 years old, not a new PX.

Yes, the Vespa is better quality than the Stella. But completely dismissing Stellas is unfair. From what I have seen, part of the reason Stellas break down because they are pummeled into submission instead of lovingly polished with an old Polo shirt.

Yes, I am happy to hear your examples to the contrary. Please share them. /ducks
UTC

Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 266
 
Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 266
UTC quote
goofy_foot wrote:
Hypercrew wrote:
I know people who own both, the PX'ers are happy, the Stellas keep degenerating every year they are owned.
Disclaimer: This is only a generalization based on what I have seen firsthand, still, I feel it bears repeating:

Stella owners:
- Do a lot of the work themselves either because they think they know how or out of necessity to save money
- Add a bunch of aftermarket performance parts which subjects the engine to more abuse
- Commute on them year-round
- Leave them parked outside
- Log high miles at high speeds

PX owners:
- Ride on nice days or weekends, not in the winter or in the rain
- Generally log less miles than Stella owners and fewer WOT miles
- Return to the dealer for all scheduled maintainance
- Don't work on the bike themselves because they can afford to have a mechanic work on thier bike
-Generally have more money than a Stella owner so they are more likely to store thier bike in a warm garage rather than outside under a tarp
- Lovingly care for their bikes because they know they have purchased a classic

Yes, these are generalizations. No this is not scientific. Absolutely there are vintage Vespa riders that beat the living crap out of thier bikes too. However, it is almost always on an Italian Vespa at least 20 years old, not a new PX.

Yes, the Vespa is better quality than the Stella. But completely dismissing Stellas is unfair. From what I have seen, part of the reason Stellas break down because they are pummeled into submission instead of lovingly polished with an old Polo shirt.

Yes, I am happy to hear your examples to the contrary. Please share them. /ducks
Fish live in the sea but that doesn't mean they are oceanographers.
@eenie816 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1003
Location: birmingham, al
 
Addicted
@eenie816 avatar
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1003
Location: birmingham, al
UTC quote
being a 2x stella owner here's my rebuttle:

Stella owners:
- Do a lot of the work themselves either because they think they know how or out of necessity to save money i do my own work because i like to and it's fairly easy and i feel like i know my bike better doing so.
- Add a bunch of aftermarket performance parts which subjects the engine to more abuse i put a sito plus on both of mine because i wanted more power. i'm going to eventually put a pinasco kit on my newer one.
- Commute on them year-round true!
- Leave them parked outside not true-tucked away at night in my garage.
- Log high miles at high speeds fairly true. i took my first one for long rides, but my newer one has a sidecar attached which makes in incapable of doing so (for now). when i upgrade the engine i'm hoping i'll have enough power to take my dog with me to a camping rally. my first stella was sold to a friend who has been on a few 500+ mile round trip rides.

PX owners:
- Ride on nice days or weekends, not in the winter or in the rain ha!
- Generally log less miles than Stella owners and fewer WOT miles ha ha!
- Return to the dealer for all scheduled maintainance/Don't work on the bike themselves because they can afford to have a mechanic work on thier bike because they don't want to get grease under their nails! if they do do work they buy some latex gloves so that won't happen.
-Generally have more money than a Stella owner so they are more likely to store thier bike in a warm garage rather than outside under a tarp i made quite a bit of money when i bought my first stella, but then again there were no new px's at that time (2004). i would have still chosen a stella because i wanted the tangerine one. i chose a stella again because i wanted the pink one when that came out.
- Lovingly care for their bikes because they know they have purchased a classic i lovingly care for my stella just as much as my vespas. my stella gets washed and polished the most.
⬆️    About 3 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
'09 Stella
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: brooklyn, ny
 
Lurker
'09 Stella
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: brooklyn, ny
UTC quote
Rattling Stella Headset(plastic part)
Hi. Could anyone suggest a remedy for an extreme rattling of the plastic headset housing that is being caused by the space/play around the throttle stem/handle? Know what I mean? I just took delivery of my 09 Stella and was pretty disappointed to discover this issue whenever I let go of the throttle grip at a stoplight. It's extreme and loud and should not be happening on a brand new bike. Do they all do this, or should I get warranty service? I just switched from a restored 66 vespa vbc, which I haven't sold yet, but was planning on it. I don't know...that vbc saddle with the spring made for a much more comfy ride in some ways. Feel like my guts are getting stirred up on my Stella, though it feels more solid in many ways, too. Love the reed valve for sure, though.
UTC

Lurker
'09 Stella
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: brooklyn, ny
 
Lurker
'09 Stella
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2
Location: brooklyn, ny
UTC quote
Turn signal alert
Oh, and can anyone tell me how to disable that stupid beeping turn signal indicator? Or make the case for leaving it be? Thanks.
@justjoe avatar
UTC

Hooked
2004 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 340
Location: Los Angeles
 
Hooked
@justjoe avatar
2004 ET4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 340
Location: Los Angeles
UTC quote
Re: Rattling Stella Headset(plastic part)
VBCtoStella wrote:
Hi. Could anyone suggest a remedy for an extreme rattling of the plastic headset housing that is being caused by the space/play around the throttle stem/handle? Know what I mean? I just took delivery of my 09 Stella and was pretty disappointed to discover this issue whenever I let go of the throttle grip at a stoplight. It's extreme and loud and should not be happening on a brand new bike. Do they all do this, or should I get warranty service? I just switched from a restored 66 vespa vbc, which I haven't sold yet, but was planning on it. I don't know...that vbc saddle with the spring made for a much more comfy ride in some ways. Feel like my guts are getting stirred up on my Stella, though it feels more solid in many ways, too. Love the reed valve for sure, though.
You may want to check out modernbuddy.com. They deal primarily with Genuine scoots such as the Stella.

Ericalm from here is a mod over there. Best wishes.

In the meantime, enjoy the entertainment that IS modernvespa.com.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8892
Location: Atlanta, GA
UTC quote
Random old thread to revive... Welcome, though!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0212s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0059s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]