@outride avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 Vespa GTS 250ie

Hooked
@outride avatar
2008 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Hello! So I've learned the trick of filling up my own gas tank - turn the handle so that it's on top of the pet carrier, keep an eye out on the gas meter until it's close to full and then do it slowly, checking how far up the gas is on the tank.

(Clicking the handle sometimes doesn't work in some stations and I've had to clean gas off the paint too many times.)

This was all well and good in the States where I fill my own tank. But now my dad got a GTS 300 in Peru, where not only do you have someone fill your tank, but you traditionally pre-pay for gas. I guess I could ask them to fill it up and do so carefully, but that seems a hassle every time. What do you guys do?
@irieman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTV 300, [GTV 250], [CB500F], SG250, MINI R59

Addicted
@irieman avatar
GTV 300, [GTV 250], [CB500F], SG250, MINI R59
UTC quote
Re: Filling up tank in non-self-serve stations
outride wrote:
Hello! So I've learned the trick of filling up my own gas tank... But now my dad got a GTS 300 in Peru, where not only do you have someone fill your tank, but you traditionally pre-pay for gas. I guess I could ask them to fill it up and do so carefully, but that seems a hassle every time. What do you guys do?
I too live in a self-serve state, but when I was abroad (SE Asia) on a motorbike this past summer, the petrol disbursement engineers seem to know their stuff. One would think that a professional gas filler-upper would either be trained on that or figure it out over time?

Would be interested in hearing other experiences from across the globe!

EDIT: I failed to mention that in SE Asia, 90% of vehicles on the road are scooters, so I guess it makes sense there.
⚠️ Last edited by irieman on UTC; edited 1 time
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
I remember back when no gas stations in the US were self-service. The attendants would hand over the hose to motorcycle riders while they remained by the pump. No biker would ever allow anyone to touch their ride!
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
In NJ, the attendant lets you pump the gas yourself if you have a motorcycle/scooter. He just starts the pump for you and then hands over the nozzle to the rider.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
In NJ, the attendant lets you pump the gas yourself if you have a motorcycle/scooter. He just starts the pump for you and then hands over the nozzle to the rider.
This sounds like the best option. Ask the attendant nicely and explain the reason.

Then if he insists and it overflows make a fuss, make him clean it up and complain to his boss.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
We have a non self serve in the town i live in. They let me pump my own gas. No matter whose working (they have 3 attendants that work there) they all love my scooter. 8)
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Oregon is the other "no self serve" state besides NJ. In Oregon the attendant just hands the nozzle to the rider and lets you fill your own motorcycle or scooter - unless you don't want to. My guess is that anywhere, if you ask, they will let you fill your own scooter.
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super
UTC quote
I found that my GTS can have 1.75 gal of fuel as soon as the low fuel light comes on. So I calculate and prepay for exactly 1.75 gal and then there is no overflow problem regardless of who fills the tank.

Bill
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0117s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]