@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Hey y'all I drive a 2005 Vespa Grantourismo 200cc in need of a mechanic closer to me (Plano/Allen border) than only one I know/have used Vespa of Dallas down on Greenville. It's my only vehicle so hard for me to get to & from there to drop it off ect. I'm also on a sole SSDI income of $793 and they're kinda pricey I assume in part to their location so wouldn't mind someone that works on them on the side at home ect. I do NOT want someone that works on Chinese or Asian type p.o.s. scooters because in my opinion anyone fool enough to work on them need not be near mine. Any help? It's not charging the battery so it's anything from the regulator to the stator to the wiring in between. Also anything that may need preventative replacement due to age while in there and an exhaust leak. Your friend & MIME: Kevin "Rocket" Riley "Retired Love God of the '80's"
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
GTS 250
UTC quote
No help on mechanics but I would certainly get it to the dealer for the diagnostic work on the electrical stuff.

As far as basic maintenance goes, look on YouTube. There are some great videos that show the whole process. Follow the instructions for GTS maintenance.

At a minimum, you will want to replace the fluid in the brakes and cooling system. Scooters that have been sitting for a long time are usually in need of flushing and replacement. There are also videos for fluid change on YouTube.

If your tires are as old as the scooter, they will need to be replaced also. The question is not tread depth but age and hardness and cracking. Blowouts can certainly ruin your day.

Happy scooting!
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Thank you.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
R i take mine to a moped shop. They have a few mechanics who work on Vespa's. Our "dealer" here sucks. So don't count the moped shops out.
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto (sold) - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)

Molto Verboso
@thenaughtylemur avatar
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto (sold) - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)
UTC quote
Also Vespa MotorSport (Scooter West) works on the cheap Chinese bikes and I definitely trusted them with my bike.

It's about making money, not competence.
@pinkscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2

Addicted
@pinkscooter avatar
GTS 250ie Super, Italjet Velocifero, Scarabeo 150, S50, ET4, ET2
UTC quote
Rocket, I assume you followed these trouble shooting tips. Diagnosing Charging System Problems
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Thanks to all. Is Scooter West near me? I've ordered parts from them before but I have zero mechanical ability. Your friend & MIME: Kevin "Rocket" Riley "Retired Love God of the '80's"
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@gvdb avatar
UTC

Hooked
Sei Giorni 2020

Hooked
@gvdb avatar
Sei Giorni 2020
UTC quote
Scooter West is in San Diego if I am not mistaken. They post excellent how to videos.
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Sweet. They're always right by me. Told me the exact parts I'll need IF I need. Thanks to all. Have a happy safe New Years.
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
UTC quote
I wouldn't want to have a motorbike that I couldn't get serviced locally. If there's only a Harley Dealer in the area, talk to him about your options.

P.S. For a guy with no moolah, you seem to be in an awfully nice space. No offense meant. Maybe you're foolishly buying more expensive food with money you should be spending on your bike
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Not quite sure what your point is. I rent a room in house with my sisters exe, his wife, and 4 kids for $210 a month abp plus babysitting the 8 & 11 years old 2 for 4 hours (3-7pm) 2 x a week. My meds (12 year cancer survivor) are about $60 a month, part D $14, insurance $60, and phone $68 a month not to mention putting a my son through college (UNT) where he got a 4 year degree in 3 with honors. Oh but I DO treat myself to 6-8 beers once a week (at home). For extra $ I sell 2 dozen or so things on eBay at seller: Rocketoriley2112. Even my couch ain't got no spare change lol ni iffense taken! Your friend & MIME: Kevin "Rocket" Riley "Retired Love God of the '80's"
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Ih yeah and I blew $5 free s&h on this pair of stem caps.
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
And lastly: when I govto the grocery store I don't buy what I want I buy what's in sale! Still nit sure what you were ir weren't trying to say but there's my whole financial disclosure. I just got the boot from a 28 year relationship and no way am I dating so not spending $ on a gf!?! Even the box of crackers in the picture below were my roommates though customized by me. Kevin
@spuds avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV

Hooked
@spuds avatar
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV
UTC quote
i used to live in Plano in the 70's, that place will whack you out!
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Hey Rocket,

I'm thinking that someone who works on Chinese scooters HAS to know what they are doing, given the stereotyped crap coming out of the factory (not necessarily my opinion in all cases, but this seems rather common with regard to Chinese scoots). Anyhoo, totally up to you of course.

I'm not from anywhere near your area so can't help find a mechanic beyond what I see online. Though it seems to me Kyle's Scooter Shop could be a good place to start. Or Vespa Dallas.

Good luck!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
My mechanic knows about SW but i bring the parts that i'll need when i bring it in. Easier that way. Bringing his in next week to get my front shock replaced. Finally wore out. Been almost 30,000 miles. Got some Clauss bushing for the front one (Malossi). Don't have them on the Malossi that i have on their now. Hopefully it'll make a difference. Only $9.99. Cheap add on
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Thanks both y'all. Gonna check out Kyle further. Just read his page. Your friend & MIME: Kevin "Rocket" Riley "Retired Love God of the '80's"
@moto_mark avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 75th Anniversary GTS 300, Vespa 70th Anniversary PX150, Vespa 946, Vespa Rally 200, Vespa PX150, Piaggio Liberty 125

Hooked
@moto_mark avatar
Vespa 75th Anniversary GTS 300, Vespa 70th Anniversary PX150, Vespa 946, Vespa Rally 200, Vespa PX150, Piaggio Liberty 125
UTC quote
+1 on Kyle's Scooter Shop. He's a good guy and does excellent work at a fair price. A win-win in my book.
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
I just heard back from Kyle. He only works on vintage scooters. I don't think I can wait that long. Still open for suggestions and thank you all. Kevin
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Rocketoriley wrote:
I just heard back from Kyle. He only works on vintage scooters. I don't think I can wait that long. Still open for suggestions and thank you all. Kevin
Wow, he must be doing well to be able to turn down business like that. Perhaps he's not familiar with the electrical bits of modern Vespas.

Bummer.
OP
@rocketoriley avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@rocketoriley avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
I did ask him for suggestions.
@okcgravity avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 2012 GTS Super 300

Hooked
@okcgravity avatar
Vespa 2012 GTS Super 300
UTC quote
Well sadly, Vespa Dallas is still your best bet outside of doing it yourself.

Their prices are not high due to their location, they aren't high at all when compared to what any Vespa shop will charge you. Their hourly rate is pretty average with all the motorcycle shops in the Dallas area.

I understand your on a limited budget, I feel you there. But bottom line, getting a professional shop to run down an electrical issue is going to cost a little bit of money. It takes shop time, and shop time costs money.

The other option I haven't seen yet is Moxie Scooters over in Mid Cities. They are a Genuine/Kymco dealership and I think they do "some" work on Vespas. Maybe just tires, maybe what you need, I don't know. But their hourly rate is pretty close to Vespa Dallas.

Sorry I don't have a happier answer for you.
⬆️    About 8 months elapsed    ⬇️
@zbillster avatar
UTC

2007 Vespa LX 150

@zbillster avatar
2007 Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
okcgravity wrote:
Well sadly, Vespa Dallas is still your best bet outside of doing it yourself.

Their prices are not high due to their location, they aren't high at all when compared to what any Vespa shop will charge you. Their hourly rate is pretty average with all the motorcycle shops in the Dallas area.

I understand your on a limited budget, I feel you there. But bottom line, getting a professional shop to run down an electrical issue is going to cost a little bit of money. It takes shop time, and shop time costs money.

The other option I haven't seen yet is Moxie Scooters over in Mid Cities. They are a Genuine/Kymco dealership and I think they do "some" work on Vespas. Maybe just tires, maybe what you need, I don't know. But their hourly rate is pretty close to Vespa Dallas.

Sorry I don't have a happier answer for you.
I just used Vespa Dallas for my first belt service, and I was VERY disappointed.

Called a couple of weeks in advance to schedule same-day service (which the sales guys promise you) but the service manager seemed very reluctant, but finally agreed. "I'll make sure the belt and rollers are here and we'll see you (date in future) around 11ish."

Get there at 10 a.m. (1 hour drive via Vespa for a little town up north) and now the service manager is all like "Let me make sure I have the parts in stock." Um, didn't you say you would do that two weeks ago???

Two hours later I get a call ... "Good news: we have the parts. Bad news: my two mechanics who have done this belt service before are AWOL and not answering their phones."
Livid emoticon

He calls a little later and says the mechanic showed up. Well, okay then.

Finally at 3 p.m. I get a call that the service is ready. $300 bill for 2.5 hours (funny, Robot at Scooter West does the same thing in less than an hour). I don't see the non-reusable locknut on the parts list.

I'm all for a relaxed work environment, but this was very unprofessional and wasn't handled well. Unfortunately most mobile mechanics (I love using them on my Honda because the local dealer is also a joke) won't touch Vespas, but will work on other scooters.

Next belt service, I'm buying the tools from Scooter West and letting Robot's YouTube videos guide me.

Also when I called for brass nuts to hold the manifold on (one disappeared into the frame) they wanted to sell me a separate nut and washer unlike what the factory uses. They do not inspire confidence.

That is my rant for the day. Thanks for listening.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1010s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0894s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]