@capitolaguy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2013 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@capitolaguy avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Time for new tires. I've had the City Grips with good experience, so I'm inclined to stick with them but I've read about the Michelin Power Pure with dual compound; harder center for straight up and softer compound on sides for cornering.

This forum has had plenty of (positive) input on City Grips but I don't recall member reviews on Power Pure. Any opinions out there?

Also, searching for best source and so far "bike bandit" seems to have best price but I'm open to suggestions.

Many Thanks!
@mickfitz76 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Yamaha XMAX 300, Sprint 150, PX 177 Polini.

Addicted
@mickfitz76 avatar
UTC quote
The pure power don't last long at all. Very soft compared to the city grip. Also much lighter.
I wouldn't use them again. 4000ks is all they were good for before they started to lose the edge.

Try the Pirelli evo 21/22.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The centre of the Power Pure is no harder than the centre of the City Grips. If you love hooning around the twisties, then the Power Pure is great as the sides are softer and get stickier when hot. However they do wear out just as fast as the City Grips down the middle, and aren't quite as good in the wet if that's a concern.
OP
@capitolaguy avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2013 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@capitolaguy avatar
2013 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
You're reinforcing my inclination to stay with the tried and true City Grips for this time around. I will look into the Pirelli Evo 21/22 on the next round. Appreciate your comments! Thx.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Here in Kansas twisties are few and far between. I will stick with my tyres from now on.
@mickfitz76 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mickfitz76 avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
The centre of the Power Pure is no harder than the centre of the City Grips. If you love hooning around the twisties, then the Power Pure is great as the sides are softer and get stickier when hot. However they do wear out just as fast as the City Grips down the middle, and aren't quite as good in the wet if that's a concern.
Just as fast? I got 10k kilometres out of city grips. 4k out of the powers.
Grab each tire side by side and you can flex the pure power tire like a rubber band. The city grip is heavier and little to no flex.
Pure power is a performance tire and the city grip is a commuter.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
jimc wrote:
Just as fast? I got 10k kilometres out of city grips. 4k out of the powers.
Grab each tire side by side and you can flex the pure power tire like a rubber band. The city grip is heavier and little to no flex.
Pure power is a performance tire and the city grip is a commuter.
Okay so I will definetely stick to my city grips.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Try Heidenau's. Their the best IMHO. I get over 6,000 miles on the rear and never wear out the front. I just swap it out about every 4yrs or so.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I have been using Power Pure tires on my scooters for a while now. Razzo, my 2005 GT has 7,000 miles on the rear Power Pure, and it is getting close to needing replacement. These miles include one Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 and several 500+ mile trips along with commuting and city riding.

The front is barely showing wear.

I ran Power Pures in this year's Scooter Cannonball and replaced the rear in Seattle after almost 4000 miles of high speed running. I then mounted it on Rocket for another 1000 or so miles before replacing it recently.

I know that my friend Russ uses City Grips and gets around 8000 miles on the rears before replacing them well before they are worn out, the City Grips appear to wear a little better.

I am running City Grips on Rocket now and find them to be very capable tires for my riding style.

As for grip, I have never had any tire lose grip on clean pavement. These include Heidenau, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin brands.

I only started using the Power Pure because of the availability of the 140 rear. City Grips only come in 130 width at the rear on a 12" tire. I have been very pleased with their performance and wear.

Both tires are very good, as are tires from other major, reputable brands.
@kawzak avatar
UTC

Addicted
New 2023 BV-400

Addicted
@kawzak avatar
New 2023 BV-400
UTC quote
What are the benefits of running a 140 rear tire- other than more rubber-more so it lasts longer?.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
kawzak wrote:
What are the benefits of running a 140 rear tire- other than more rubber-more so it lasts longer?.
A 140 rear tire has a 1 to 2 percent larger circumference than a 130. I got in my head that, in perfect conditions, top speed could increase by about that amount.

With the CVT drive, I am not sure that it helps.

I currently have a 130 on Rocket. Top speed appears to be good.

But I was running Razzo down from the center span of the very tall Dames Point Bridge yesterday. The optimistic speedometer hit 89 mph. It is a dead stock Vespa GT running a 140 Power Pure on the rear.

So, you never know.
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
I can't agree with other comments about the Power Pure. On my X10 the rear Power Pure definitely lasted longer than the original City Grip and also felt better when cornering. To put this in perspective my riding style is to use near maximum acceleration when upright but corner fairly conservatively. This is partly because I use poorly surfaced B roads for most of my riding.

With this style of riding rear tyres usually only last between 4000 and 4500 miles and the projected life of the Power Pure was about 5000.

For me the Power Pure retained its profile better whereas the City Grip squared off more. So a part worn Power Pure handled just as well as when new and that couldn't be said of the City Grip.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
roadster wrote:
I can't agree with other comments about the Power Pure. On my X10 the rear Power Pure definitely lasted longer than the original City Grip and also felt better when cornering. To put this in perspective my riding style is to use near maximum acceleration when upright but corner fairly conservatively. This is partly because I use poorly surfaced B roads for most of my riding.

With this style of riding rear tyres usually only last between 4000 and 4500 miles and the projected life of the Power Pure was about 5000.

For me the Power Pure retained its profile better whereas the City Grip squared off more. So a part worn Power Pure handled just as well as when new and that couldn't be said of the City Grip.
I agree with roadster. The Power Pures on my X10 have been just fine. The front will need replacing within the next 6 months, but it still has sufficient tread to be well within legal limits after over 7,000 miles.

The rear took a nail at around 4-5,000 miles and had to be replaced. It was riding just fine at that time, and looked to have plenty of wear on it. I currently have a Bridgestone Hoop on the rear (the best tyre in stock at the nearest garage when I had the puncture), and that is also running and wearing fine.
@mickfitz76 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mickfitz76 avatar
UTC quote
Not sure why you guys are getting so much mileage out of the pure powers.
I pound through that rubber twice as fast. Sick of the city grips, just not enough sporty grip.
I'm going to try the continental contitwist next.
@tom_jones avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt

Hooked
@tom_jones avatar
Vespa GTS 150 3v SUPER. Vespa V100 x 1. Lambretta Li150 x 1. Px 125 x 2. Px 200 x 1 (red bull special) T5 Classic x 1. Vespa Cosa x 2.CF moto 650mt
UTC quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
I pound through that rubber twice as fast. Sick of the city grips, just not enough sporty grip.
I wouldn't normally write about tyres as everyone is different and each of us have differing views but.......I've got a Conti twist on my rear. It is a good tyre but today I fitted a Michelin Bopper front tyre. Wow. That grips sooo much I have had to adjust the way I ride (the Maxxis I had on were obviously quite useless although standard fitment at my neck of the woods). I can honestly state that I have never experienced such a sticky tyre or tire.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
mickfitz76 wrote:
tires wear different in different parts of the country. so while 1 person gets excellent mileage another gets a lot less. Road surfaces are mainly to blame.

example. @ mp3's running the same exact tires and pressures, same riding styles. 1 was in Georgia and the other in Tennessee. the Georgia rider would wear out a rear city grip in 4000 miles, where the Tennessee rider could easily get 6000+ miles.
Riders involved in this Fuzzy and myself.

So don't fret about your mileage as compared to someone else. but compare your mileage to your self on different tires you may try.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Benelli Boy wrote:
I currently have a Bridgestone Hoop on the rear (the best tyre in stock at the nearest garage when I had the puncture), and that is also running and wearing fine.
I had a Bridgestone Hoop on Rocket once. The rear tire got to 12,000 miles before replacement. By far the best wearing tire I have tried.
UTC

Ossessionato
X10 350

Ossessionato
X10 350
UTC quote
Cheers WL. I was happy to have a Hoop fitted as I'd heard good things about them but had never had one myself.
Always good to have it confirmed.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Benelli Boy wrote:
I currently have a Bridgestone Hoop on the rear (the best tyre in stock at the nearest garage when I had the puncture), and that is also running and wearing fine.
I had a Bridgestone Hoop on Rocket once. The rear tire got to 12,000 miles before replacement. By far the best wearing tire I have tried.
I will take note of that.;
@kdude avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018

Ossessionato
@kdude avatar
BV 400 (21) , BV 350 (16) SOLD :( , Sprint 150 2015(SOLD), Liberty S150 2018
UTC quote
I would stick with the city's... just my opinion. The 300 handles like a tractor , great for what's its intended to do but leave the sport handling too other rides. And you will save a ton of $ ..
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:
tires wear different in different parts of the country. so while 1 person gets excellent mileage another gets a lot less. Road surfaces are mainly to blame.

example. @ mp3's running the same exact tires and pressures, same riding styles. 1 was in Georgia and the other in Tennessee. the Georgia rider would wear out a rear city grip in 4000 miles, where the Tennessee rider could easily get 6000+ miles.

So don't fret about your mileage as compared to someone else. but compare your mileage to your self on different tires you may try.
I don't mean to split hairs here but most states in USA use same asphalt, application machines, etc.? Concrete too?
A few states like MO have some rural chip surfaced roads using the brown stuff, otherwise I don't see a "road difference", so, other than slab style riding where-in the tire tread center (chicken strip) goes flat vs. twisties with more overall wear of tread.
I have zero scoot tire personal experience except to say my Michelins are great so far. Seems a 140 would last a tad longer from slightly fewer rotations? Rain stick matters more than a few miles to me as being alive is nice vs. saving a dollar or two...
My Vespa 300 handles a bit better than my tractor? Seriously, I've ridden for many years on MC's and it rides great! Really great!
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
judy wrote:
Try Heidenau's. Their the best IMHO. I get over 6,000 miles on the rear and never wear out the front. I just swap it out about every 4yrs or so.
That's a very good recommendation. I've used all 3 of these tires mentioned. Had good luck with the Michelin PP's on long trips.....7k miles on a rear 140.
If I was buying new tire now for I'd go for the Heidenau's.

A bit off subject: On my cross country trips I'd always carry a spare tire so if I needed a new rear I had it, any shop could mount it.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Turkman on UTC; edited 1 time
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
A few states like MO have some rural chip surfaced roads using the brown stuff, otherwise I don't see a "road difference".....
"A few states"? For those of us who live, and ride, in the West - every state has a lot of rural chip sealed roads.
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC

Addicted
250 gts, nitroed zip 69cc " the teenager", 200 now 300 lc zip "all grown up"

Addicted
@andythebuilder avatar
250 gts, nitroed zip 69cc " the teenager", 200 now 300 lc zip "all grown up"
UTC quote
throw it up the road
mickfitz76 wrote:
hey buddy,
i will not recommend a tyre because everyone has there favorite, but i just have to warn you about conti twist in the wet, they are known as widow makers or killers here in the N W of England, they stick like sh1t in the dry but just add one drop of water into the mix and your front end is going from you whilst the rear goes in the opposite direction, lethal
Cheers Andy
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:

I don't mean to split hairs here but most states in USA use same asphalt, application machines, etc.? Concrete too?
A few states like MO have some rural chip surfaced roads using the brown stuff, otherwise I don't see a "road difference", so, other than slab style riding where-in the tire tread center (chicken strip) goes flat vs. twisties with more overall wear of tread.
I have zero scoot tire personal experience except to say my Michelins are great so far. Seems a 140 would last a tad longer from slightly fewer rotations? Rain stick matters more than a few miles to me as being alive is nice vs. saving a dollar or two...
My Vespa 300 handles a bit better than my tractor? Seriously, I've ridden for many years on MC's and it rides great! Really great!
what you fail to realize about asphalt it is not the same for all areas. One mix for hot areas is not the same as a mix for cold areas and the same goes for cities and rural. Each state determines what type and mix the use for their needs. They make get be all asphalt but the differences are pretty significant.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:

what you fail to realize about asphalt it is not the same for all areas. One mix for hot areas is not the same as a mix for cold areas and the same goes for cities and rural. Each state determines what type and mix the use for their needs. They make get be all asphalt but the differences are pretty significant.
Right but if you are like me who only rides on smooth pavement I don't think that would be an issue.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
TURK that's great for the PP'S. Seems like the Heidi's and PP'S have the longest mileage. Never tried the PP. I use the all season K58. I live in a rural Ag community and the red dirt turns to a slick (as bad as ice) slippery mess, after a good rain. Better traction with the K62'S. Do the PP have a all weather tire? Losing my mind i use K62's. Nerd emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by judy on UTC; edited 1 time
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
judy wrote:
TURK that's great for the PP'S. Seems like the Heidi's and PP'S have the longest mileage. Never tried the PP. I use the all season K58. I live in a rural Ag community and the red dirt turns to a slick (as bad as ice) slippery mess, after a good rain. Better traction with the K58'S. Do the PP have a all weather tire?
no the power pure are not an ideal tire for dirt roads. the K58's are much better for that. IMO stick with the K58's for your type of riding.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Shop said all he had was Pirelli Synergy tires. They grip well, but no idean on durability.

On the other hand, my SYM came with Doro tires. I think their called duo cause they're made of concrete. Turns were scary.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:

Right but if you are like me who only rides on smooth pavement I don't think that would be an issue.
Not necessarily. Smooth pavement (at least of the bituminous.... OK asphalt type) will be made from relatively local aggregate. Which may be smooth stone, or it may be sharp stone. "Smooth" is relative.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
judy wrote:
TURK that's great for the PP'S. Seems like the Heidi's and PP'S have the longest mileage. Never tried the PP. I use the all season K58. I live in a rural Ag community and the red dirt turns to a slick (as bad as ice) slippery mess, after a good rain. Better traction with the K58'S. Do the PP have a all weather tire?
no the power pure are not an ideal tire for dirt roads. the K58's are much better for that. IMO stick with the K58's for your type of riding.
I go with the K58's for sure!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
T and OAD. I will. They've treated me right for the past 30,000 miles. Expensive but well worth it. I never "cheap pout" when it comes down to safety/ My friend who has a Harley does and i can't wrap my head around that. When it comes down to safety there is no price that's too expensive, IMHO. So i use the K62's. I did try the 58's once but after the winter when it doesn't rain as much or as hard. It didn't ride as smoothly as the K62's.Don't know why i wrote K58'S. Nerd emoticon To many knocks to the head over the years. Laughing emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by judy on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
A few states like MO have some rural chip surfaced roads using the brown stuff, otherwise I don't see a "road difference".....
"A few states"? For those of us who live, and ride, in the West - every state has a lot of rural chip sealed roads.
Read what I said.
MO is somewhat(I've seen others) unique in having brown "chips".
Every state, (east,west,north,south! on all county & foreign country has chip roads based on my travels. The brown version uses sand & can be wet/slick.
Now, back to tires.

UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:

Not necessarily. Smooth pavement (at least of the bituminous.... OK asphalt type) will be made from relatively local aggregate. Which may be smooth stone, or it may be sharp stone. "Smooth" is relative.
I ride on whats there? My point was to say roads really don't vary much except for materials, weather & maintenance. I stand by that! City/rural,etc..
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:

I ride on whats there? My point was to say roads really don't vary much except for materials, weather & maintenance. I stand by that! City/rural,etc..
and all these things lead to different wear on tires, so while what you get for wear is not the same as someone else in a different part of the country.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
mickfitz76 wrote:

Just try riding hard in North Wales, UK. The chips are sharp granite. Tyres that'll last 6000 miles elsewhere will be lucky to get 3000.

That said, more gentle riding won't wear the tyres so much. Acceleration (which includes any cornering) wears the rear tyre, braking the front.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
My private road(I maintain it!) of ~ 1/2 mile is limestone gravel. I have replaced two run flat technology tires on my 2013 BMW X3 since new, both from tiny pyramid shape gravel that entered the tread grooves. Rock sources vary in USA but most roads are limestone mixed with asphalt our chip/tar or concrete. My point is it's sharp too! We had oiled dirt in the old days in KS, KY had many slag roads on county maintenance.
My state, KY has been using very thick asphalt on I-roads recent years-its a bit over a foot thick. They say it saves money over concrete but I've wondered if it's payoff $$$ as roads are a favorite payback your friends device...
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
MO is somewhat(I've seen others) unique in having brown "chips". Every state, (east,west,north,south! on all county & foreign country has chip roads based on my travels. The brown version uses sand & can be wet/slick.
Around here, that is called slurry seal.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0222s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0149s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]