@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Anyone here into indoor rowing? I'm considering adding a rowing machine to my home workouts. I have my eye on the Concept 2 D model. I've had some knee/neck problems in the past so I'm not 100% sure that I can actually "row" comfortably. I know that form is key to getting the most out of the exercise. I plan on visiting the local YMCA to try out the same machine using a one day pass.

Any thoughts? Anyone using one that can add anything?

Thanks!

Bob
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
I use the Concept D Model 2 every day at the gym. It has a nice fluid motion, it's light and easily adjustable. I pull 500m most mornings and it works great. They seem pretty durable as well. My crossfit gym has six of them and I have been going there 1.5 years. I have seen two bikes break but those rowers keep on working (damn). Whew emoticon
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
Bob, I know you can do the Google thing too, but Paddlen's response got me curious. Here's a link to reviews. The one you like and Paddlen's gym model is #1.

https://www.topfitnessmag.com/rowing-machine-reviews/#ByPrice

If I had room, I think I'd like to try one for home. I rowed in college and enjoyed it.
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Paddlenround wrote:
I use the Concept D Model 2 every day at the gym. It has a nice fluid motion, it's light and easily adjustable. I pull 500m most mornings and it works great. They seem pretty durable as well. My crossfit gym has six of them and I have been going there 1.5 years. I have seen two bikes break but those rowers keep on working (damn). Whew emoticon
They are actually the only product that I've never heard of having a bad review. That amazes me! Even a Lexus will have complainers! They must be well engineered and manufactured properly. I have rested my knee for the past two days- the only exercise I've had in the past 48 hours is a variety of abdominal exercises... I'm going Thursday to try out a machine and I want to go in fresh. Since the weather is still not great here I want to pick up the cardio before biking season is in full swing. I've been riding 10 hard miles a day on my stationary bike along with weights and bands. As long as my knee and neck feel OK on the machine and the next few days afterwards I think I'll order one. Our local YMCA's membership is almost the cost of a Concept 2 D for a one year standard deal. I know I would not use a membership as much as I would the machine in my basement.

Bob
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Paperino wrote:
Bob, I know you can do the Google thing too, but Paddlen's response got me curious. Here's a link to reviews. The one you like and Paddlen's gym model is #1.

https://www.topfitnessmag.com/rowing-machine-reviews/#ByPrice

If I had room, I think I'd like to try one for home. I rowed in college and enjoyed it.
A 76 year old dude I work with- yep, he's still working- and working out- left early today to hit the gym and he said he is going to row tonight and give me a complete report in the morning. He said I'll even take a pic with my phone to show that it is indeed a Concept 2. He said that he uses it about once a week and he goes three days out of seven. He said "they give you one hell of a workout". I got this goofy idea of adding a rowing machine from a drug commercial on TV showing some old dude rowing on an indoor machine.. Hmmm, I can do that!

I've read reviews from folks over in Germany and other parts of Europe and they also agree how good these things are built.

Bob
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super

Hooked
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I would highly recommend this form of exercise and the Concept machine from experience. I also rowed in eights and fours as a youth.

You nailed it with this..
Quote:
I know that form is key to getting the most out of the exercise.
...to which I would add...rythym and timing.

Take or get a lesson from a rower before teaching your self and injuring your self.

BTW 500 metres is not enough. That is less than 3 minutes of exercise and hardly will stretch or warm you up.

Tip - set your self distance over time targets and push yourself to meet them
@jescka084 avatar
UTC

Hooked
1969 Vespa Rally 180, 2014 Yamaha Bolt 950, 2015 Vespa Primavera 150, 2015 Honda Grom 125

Hooked
@jescka084 avatar
1969 Vespa Rally 180, 2014 Yamaha Bolt 950, 2015 Vespa Primavera 150, 2015 Honda Grom 125
UTC quote
I agree, the Concept rowers are smooth and a great value. I don't think that you would regret it, I love to row, it's a great upper body and cardio workout.

Have fun!
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
Shooter wrote:
BTW 500 metres is not enough. That is less than 3 minutes of exercise and hardly will stretch or warm you up.

I row 500m every morning as part of a warm up along with stretches and our daily warm up. So, for example today It's part of our daily crossfit regiment. At times, we do incorporate rowing into the WOD where we will row 5000m. Today's work out was:

Warm-up
4 Steady Rounds:
12 Goblet Squats
12 Ring Dips
24 Calories on Bike

Weightlifting
Back Squat (4x4)

Metcon
Metcon (No Measure)
Cash out x3-5
10 GHD Sit ups/ or Evil Wheels
:20 L-Sit hold or L-Hang
20 Russian Twists

So I agree, 500m isn't much (takes me 2 minutes to finish) but it's only a bit of what I am expected to accomplish every morning at 5:30.
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Paddlenround wrote:
Shooter wrote:

I row 500m every morning as part of a warm up along with stretches and our daily warm up. So, for example today It's part of our daily crossfit regiment. At times, we do incorporate rowing into the WOD where we will row 5000m. Today's work out was:

Warm-up
4 Steady Rounds:
12 Goblet Squats
12 Ring Dips
24 Calories on Bike

Weightlifting
Back Squat (4x4)

Metcon
Metcon (No Measure)
Cash out x3-5
10 GHD Sit ups/ or Evil Wheels
:20 L-Sit hold or L-Hang
20 Russian Twists

So I agree, 500m isn't much (takes me 2 minutes to finish) but it's only a bit of what I am expected to accomplish every morning at 5:30.
One thing that I read in my research about rowing was to refrain from doing it first thing in the morning. Something about giving the disks in your spine time to acclimate to being upright vs. lying down while sleeping. I have two very bad disks in my neck so that is something I would be concerned about. Do you see any difference as to WHEN you row?

Bob
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
PAD WTH is a goblet squat? And who names these things. Laughing emoticon
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
A Goblet squat is when you hold a kettle bell to your chest and then drop to a squatted position where your butt nearly touches the floor and then stand. It's a relatively easy exercise. I use a 35 lbs. kettle bell.

I don't know who the hell names this crap and trust me, at 5:30 in the morning my brain struggles with processing what I am supposed to do. I imagine a bunch of jocks gave the names as that's who seems to be into fitness. I put myself through this misery to keep healthy for my kids, skiing and so I can eat whatever the hell I want.
BVBob wrote:
Do you see any difference as to WHEN you row?
I have only rowed in the morning so I can't comment on any other time. I have had no spine issues I am aware of. In fact, my biceps suffer more often than anything. I am giving it a good pull at around a setting of 7 or 8. I try to keep my time under 2 minutes for the 500m if I can.

Be prepared, the first time you row it will take time to find the right rhythm. I struggled for a little bit and it would take me about 3 minutes to do 500m. Once I found the right pull, position and comfort level my times decreased a lot.
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Paddlenround wrote:
judy wrote:
A Goblet squat is when you hold a kettle bell to your chest and then drop to a squatted position where your butt nearly touches the floor and then stand. It's a relatively easy exercise. I use a 35 lbs. kettle bell.

I don't know who the hell names this crap and trust me, at 5:30 in the morning my brain struggles with processing what I am supposed to do. I imagine a bunch of jocks gave the names as that's who seems to be into fitness. I put myself through this misery to keep healthy for my kids, skiing and so I can eat whatever the hell I want.
BVBob wrote:
Do you see any difference as to WHEN you row?
I have only rowed in the morning so I can't comment on any other time. I have had no spine issues I am aware of. In fact, my biceps suffer more often than anything. I am giving it a good pull at around a setting of 7 or 8. I try to keep my time under 2 minutes for the 500m if I can.

Be prepared, the first time you row it will take time to find the right rhythm. I struggled for a little bit and it would take me about 3 minutes to do 500m. Once I found the right pull, position and comfort level my times decreased a lot.
Thanks for the tips. 5:30 am huh? Wow! Even days I'm off I exercise around 9:30 at the earliest. I found a book on Amazon about exercising and our limits after the age of 50. I might get it pick that up too. I think I go too hard for too many days in a row... I used to recovery very quickly, now, not so much. I find if I take a couple of days off I am way stronger when I return to it... live and learn I guess.

Bob
@michael_b avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 ie - traded in; Honda CB300FA; Honda Ruckus scooter

Addicted
@michael_b avatar
GTS 300 ie - traded in; Honda CB300FA; Honda Ruckus scooter
UTC quote
I have an inexpensive rowing machine from Sears. I think it's called Free Spirit. Not sure though. It cost perhaps 400 bucks? It uses magnetic resistance. It works very well for recreational exercising. I recommend reviewing a proper rowing posture/strokes, as improper alignment can lead to injuries. YouTube has plenty of poor rowing videos (but also some good ones).
@jescka084 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@jescka084 avatar
UTC quote
He's drank the kool-aid! From one CF'er to another, cheers!
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
Jescka084 wrote:
He's drank the kool-aid! From one CF'er to another, cheers!
No kool-aid here. I am a foodie, a beer snob and a chocoholic. Those hobbies don't go well with a trim waist line. I dread CF everyday but it allows me to do those things and more.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
Just an update. I spoke to the owner of my gym and he said the rowers have to be maintained with a little grease and cleaning of the fan. Other than that, there have been no mechanical issues whatsoever over the last five years. Keep in mind, there are six of them and they get daily use.
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Paddlenround wrote:
Just an update. I spoke to the owner of my gym and he said the rowers have to be maintained with a little grease and cleaning of the fan. Other than that, there have been no mechanical issues whatsoever over the last five years. Keep in mind, there are six of them and they get daily use.
Thanks for inquiring. I didn't get a chance to go to the gym to try the machine out yet. I will probably go tomorrow though I know they will be much busier on the weekend. A coworker suggested I check with my doctor or physical therapist to get their opinion since they are familiar with my condition. I am going to do that today. My wife is onboard to use this device too so as soon as I get the green light and an opportunity to give it a try I will put an order in. Wish I had one today.....I am off and we had a decent snow storm last night. Good day to stay in and workout.

Bob
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
UTC quote
Concept 2 model D is on it's way. Can't wait to get it and add this to my workouts. Thanks to all that replied. Working out and eating right has become an obsession.....

Bob
UTC

Enthusiast
agility 125

Enthusiast
agility 125
UTC quote
I dont want to die either........ not before I get my tax money back from the government plus intrest

I will be bloody annoyed if I shuffle off early

I row too but find the cross country ski machines give a better all over workout.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
BVBob wrote:
Concept 2 model D is on it's way. Can't wait to get it and add this to my workouts. Thanks to all that replied. Working out and eating right has become an obsession.....

Bob
Congrats! I am sure you will like it. I don't like rowing but it's better when I do it on the Concept 2.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0217s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0067s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]