@kawzak avatar
UTC

Addicted
New 2023 BV-400

Addicted
@kawzak avatar
New 2023 BV-400
UTC quote
I intend on getting a Signal Minder flasher/running light module from Scooter West so I can run LEDs and have a self cancelling blinkers. However, I see in the 2015-2016 parts manual that the OEM flasher is just a 2-terminal conventional flasher. I had attempted to find an electronic flasher that would run LEDs. The ones I called about from a reputable LED aftermarket company stated they would not work on the Vespa (plug and play). ( I am guessing the plug/terminals are reverse-they would not say). Anyone else experience this. I am just curious. I could make a electronic 2 or 3 terminal one work. It seems like this is just dark territory or something. Not much info.I do not see that the signal light wiring should affect anything with the ECU, so what gives?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Just add load resistors in parallel with the LEDs.
OP
@kawzak avatar
UTC

Addicted
New 2023 BV-400

Addicted
@kawzak avatar
New 2023 BV-400
UTC quote
I do not like load resisters. I know many that use them, and have installed on customers vechices myself. Solid state electronic flasher units live a longer life, and are more efficient-along with the LEDS, of course, just my preference.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
kawzak wrote:
I do not like load resisters. I know many that use them, and have installed on customers vechices myself. Solid state electronic flasher units live a longer life, and are more efficient-along with the LEDS, of course, just my preference.
I fully understand 'efficiency' with respect to lamps that are on all the time - LEDs make very good sense there. But for turn signals? The plus point of LEDs is that they switch on and off very quickly, making them more visible. There's negligible 'minus' from using load resistors, the lamps are only on for a tiny fraction of the time the bike is being ridden.

You can get LED friendly solid-state flasher units that can be fitted to almost any vehicle, including Vespas. On the other hand, a couple of load resistors will cost less than $2...
OP
@kawzak avatar
UTC

Addicted
New 2023 BV-400

Addicted
@kawzak avatar
New 2023 BV-400
UTC quote
The reason I am installing LEDs is because the Signal minder (that I will be buying in the future) is capable of making all (4) turn signals into running lights- when not in signal/blink/turn mode. Also the rear turn signals both flash (3) times when you apply the brake light. When I install that , there will be more power being used with conventional bulbs. Hence LEDs pull very little power. Untill I get the signal minder unit, I thought I would install a solid state LED flasher and use it -since I already have the bulbs.
@happystrada avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150 (La bella Argento)

Hooked
@happystrada avatar
Primavera 150 (La bella Argento)
UTC quote
This is Plug an Play, I'm using it on mine since I converted to the Euro spec light all around which required a relay that would work with two 6w bulbs rather than two 10 what bulbs.

It is the 2 pin flasher relay
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/competition-werkes-universal-led-flasher-relay
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0134s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0052s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]