@rb_prior avatar
UTC

Hooked
1963 Allstate, 2005 Vespa PX150, 2001 Harley 95 ci Dyna

Hooked
@rb_prior avatar
1963 Allstate, 2005 Vespa PX150, 2001 Harley 95 ci Dyna
UTC quote
On new swing arms, the axle pivot and spring/brake pivot are held in place by the use of a link spring plate or link clip. Nuts threaded on the end of the pivots are no longer used. The spring clip is arched and measures 33.7mm from end to end before installation. The pivots have a notch cut into them on the ends where this spring clip seats to secure the pivots. The spring clip is held in place by a small bolt. The notches are cut into the pivots 4 mm. Since the distance between the pivots is 36 mm center hole to center hole, the distance from notch to notch comes out to be 33 mm. My question is how do you fit this spring clip between the two pivots so it seats into the notches. It is too long from the start (33.7 mm). This spring clip is very strong and would require tremendous force to bend and force it between the two pivots.

There was a photo posted on the Internet showing a spring clip installed and this one was flat and obviously fit between the two pivots. The bolt held the spring clip flat against the swing arm surface. Will I have to flatten my spring clip and perhaps grind a little off the ends to get a good fit? If there are any tips or suggestions on how to install properly this spring clip between the two pivots, I would appreciate your replying. Thanks.
Notch cut 4 mm into the larger pivot.
Notch cut 4 mm into the larger pivot.
Spring clip showing arch.
Spring clip showing arch.
Flat spring clip anchoring pivots.
Flat spring clip anchoring pivots.
@mickeyfan1 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1965 VBB/2005 Stella

Enthusiast
@mickeyfan1 avatar
1965 VBB/2005 Stella
UTC quote
Hmm, interesting question. I'd say just grind some off till it fits then let the tension created when pulling it down with the bolt take up the slack.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0093s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]