@gr8shotz00 avatar
UTC

Hooked
13 Vespa 300GTV, 05 Burgman 650, 2013 BV 350

Hooked
@gr8shotz00 avatar
UTC quote
3 years old, 3600 miles. I noticed this morning a little drip in the garage.
Looking up underneath it looks like I am seeping around the head gasket maybe? Maybe somewhere else

What is the possible causes?
oil to full or not full enough?
Its just a Vespa thing?

What are some thoughts and how hard to fix? or would you fix it and wait until something else needs to be done and do it then?

So many questions would love some ideas
I just changed the oil a hundred miles or so ago. The drip is clean oil
You can see the darker line of oil on the black part of the engine and the weeping around the gasket.
You can see the darker line of oil on the black part of the engine and the weeping around the gasket.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I have 42,000 miles on my bike and it's never leaked. Since you changed the oil recently I'd think that's the culprit. What oil filter did you use and is there a rubber O ring on it? I have a reusable oil filter so I can't rememember what's down there. If it's not the O ring you might not have tightened the nut well enough. Could of worked just loose enough to let a little oil drip out.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
What looks like a seep to you looks more like corrosion to me.
I'm with Judy here; having recently changed the oil there could be something going on there. Whether oil filter gasket related, or some small drip around the dipstick area.

If it were mine I'd clean the spot off the floor, and look a bit closer (as possible being underneath). Maybe run a rag around up under, and wait for spot #2.

Oh, and check the oil level. If it is overfilled, suck some out and check the air filter. I'm assuming the air filter bubble isn't full of oil.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Re: My first oil leak
gr8shotz00 wrote:
Which specific oil?

"while synthetic oil won't create a leak, it will find one. Its streamlined molecular structure has no mercy for cracked or otherwise marginal seals. The oil and its additives may even clean deposits from the engine, which is good -- unless those deposits are acting like spackle on questionable seals" . . How Stuff Works
OP
@gr8shotz00 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@gr8shotz00 avatar
UTC quote
First thing I did was review dipstick, oil drain plug and filter. All clean. This leak is way up above those things. (although is guess it could be thrown up there while driving, but its not everywhere....just around what looks like a gasket

As far as the corrosion look, I would guess it was from my trip from Utah to Las Vegas for the High Rollers Rally. I thought i got it cleaned up good. I suspect is just road salt and dirt. i will go clean it up again. The scooter has never been wet or washed before this trip. It was a blizzard going down and a blizzard come back.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote

First picture I thought you had ridden the scooter....

Now I'm thinking that little drip is more related to snow melting and cleaning goo from underneath.

I remain as above, waiting for the second drip.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0121s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0040s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]