OP
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 01 ET2, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Mod Edit- as of 06/2023 these are the active links:

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119-Vehicle_Registration_Tax_Title.pdf

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VT-005-Bill_of_Sale_ODS.pdf

Since there were plenty of questions going around about Vermont titles, I figured i'd give it a whirl and see what it took. My buddy and I both applied using the exact same process and we both were successful. Its super easy and only requires two pages and a check!

So when you apply, you are not getting a title, just registration and a plate. The state of Vermont only issues Titles to motorcycles over 300cc's. However, the registration and license plate are legally enough to ride around happily and help you if you need to transfer this to another state. I will not try to register this in my home state and am happy how it is.

Everything can be done through the mail, but if you have any questions, call up the Vermont DMV and they will walk you through the paperwork. Everyone I spoke to was very courteous and professional and not bitter or angry like most DMV folks are. Big thanks to them for that.

The scooter I used for this project was a 1980 ET3. I actually bought it from a sheriff who had been holding it for a while. There were nothing shady about it, but it was out of the California DMV system. There was no paperwork for it and I picked it up cash and then rebuilt it for fun.

If you're going to go this route, print out some forms before you go to buy a scoot from someone. If you're the honest by the book person, you can have the seller fill out the paperwork rather than forging it or having a friend BS the paperwork. I had a friend BS it and it still turned out fine. Print out from the Vermont DMV's website Forms VT-005 Bill of Sale/odometer reading and VT-119 Vehicle Registration- Tax and Title application.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VT-005-Bill_Of_Sale_Odometer_Cert.pdf
https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App_0.pdf

Only be concerned with the first page of VT-005 as the odometer disclosure is for vehicles 15 years old or newer. Since I was going with a 1980 scooter, its outside the limits and they didnt want the form. Same thing goes with VT-119. Just use the first page of the 3 pages. The rest you can toss.

Ok so fill out exactly what I filled out. Don't add any extra! This was all done with DMV folks guiding me over the phone. Don't get creative and just give them what they want!

Bill of sale form-
Top spot under i/We is the name of the seller
hereby sell, assign or transfer....
Vespa year, make, model, Body color, odometer reading and VIN

To: name of new owner, date sold, price (I used $500)

Ignore all the salvage stuff. You'll need inspections etc and its not worth it.

Then jump down to the sellers signature, date sold, Sellers address and sellers phone number. Buyers signature, date sold, buyers address, buyers phone number and buyers email address. I never got anything via email from them but I still filled it out. Thats it! Move to the next form.

Registration form
Section 1
Vehicle is owned, new buyers email address, address where you get mail, phone number, drivers license number (I put my actual California drivers license number and had no problem), mailing city, state, zip and SAME for all the address where I live part. Male/female and Date of birth.

Then jump to section 3B
Have the seller fill out the name or person of company vehicle acquired from, date purchased, address of seller, and signature from the seller.

Section 4-
This is a new registration, for plate type check Antique (Updated 2/2020 See whodats quote a few posts down)

Section 5- Fill out the specs on the Vespa, make, model, year, body type is MC, color, mileage, VIN, # of cylinders is 1, vehicle is used, its a gas motor, # of wheels is 2 and CC's.

Section 6. The purchase price I wrote down was $500 on the bill of sale form. Make sure these match. This is important for the registration fee.

Down at the bottom the buyer needs to sign and date.

Ok last thing is the payment.
I paid with a check. My check was paid to: Vermont DMV, for $78 dollars. $48 was for the processing and years registration. $30 of that is the 6% tax on the purchase price. (6% of $500 that i put on the bill of sale/registration form is $30)

Then put those two forms and your check in an envelope and mail it to:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Registration
120 State St
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

The plate comes two weeks after this with no sticker attached. Two weeks later, the registration card and sticker come in the mail. When you get everything go ride around and enjoy!
Everything red is the sellers info, everything blue is the specs on the bike, everything green is the new buyers info
Everything red is the sellers info, everything blue is the specs on the bike, everything green is the new buyers info
Didnt take a pic of the plate but here's the last bit- the registration sticker
Didnt take a pic of the plate but here's the last bit- the registration sticker
⚠️ Last edited by MJRally on UTC; edited 2 times
@dasscooter avatar
UTC

Hooked
'63 VNB, '66 Bluebadge, '88 Elite 250, '17 Grom, '08 Burgman 400

Hooked
@dasscooter avatar
'63 VNB, '66 Bluebadge, '88 Elite 250, '17 Grom, '08 Burgman 400
UTC quote
Nice write-up!
OP
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
dasscooter wrote:
Nice write-up!
Vermont will register anything. There's nothing that says they won't take newer stuff. The paperwork is just different.

Since 99% of folks here have <200cc scooters that are over 15 years old, I catered the post to them.

Say you had a newer 2000s PX, you'd fill out everything I did AND have to fill in the odometer disclosure form. You'd get the plate and reg card only, because it's less than 300ccs.

An actual motorcycle over 300ccs you'd have to call the Vermont DMV and have you walk them through the paperwork.
@drona avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
59 Vespa, 65 Vespa, 66 Vespa, 57 Vespa

Molto Verboso
@drona avatar
UTC quote
Looks good... and this is what we've been doing for years with success.
If you do have an over 300cc scooter/motorcycle, then you have to have a certified shop do a VIN inspection.
UTC

Hooked
P200e

Hooked
P200e
UTC quote
In California you could have registered it with just a bit of work and you would have a clean CA title. I just did it.

I got a 77 p200e that had not been registered since 1999. If the VIN is no longer in the system, DMV will give you paperwork to take to the nearest Highway Patrol office. The CHP will just verify the VIN number and engine number and sign the form. You take the form back to DMV, pay your fees, and they give you your plate and title. Easy as that. Total cost was $122.

You can even check online if your VIN or License plate is still in the system and what the fees will be before you buy the scooter. If the plate is still in the system but the VIN is not just "lose" the plate.

Good luck
OP
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
Iamthegump wrote:
In California you could have registered it with just a bit of work and you would have a clean CA title. I just did it.

I got a 77 p200e that had not been registered since 1999. If the VIN is no longer in the system, DMV will give you paperwork to take to the nearest Highway Patrol office. The CHP will just verify the VIN number and engine number and sign the form. You take the form back to DMV, pay your fees, and they give you your plate and title. Easy as that. Total cost was $122.

You can even check online if your VIN or License plate is still in the system and what the fees will be before you buy the scooter. If the plate is still in the system but the VIN is not just "lose" the plate.

Good luck
Very true, except it's not as quick or cheap as Vermont. I'm in the process of registering another scooter in California just so I can write up a tutorial. I'm up to 6 hours of time invested registering my scoot and have plenty more to go. Wait time at CHP for a VIN inspection is over a month and a half out. I'll still have to go back to DMV for my plate. If I didn't have my ducks in a row or be dealing with an honest seller, I'd have to chase them around and take even more time off of work to get it done.

Maybe I need to drive a few hours inland to find a less crowded DMV next time, but so far cost and time investment with Vermont has got me hooked.
UTC

Hooked
P200e

Hooked
P200e
UTC quote
Took me a two weeks time but only 3 hours of actual work/driving and it was only a few bucks more than the Vermont prices listed above.

Of course I live in a county with a small population and the DMV will let you make appointments. Usually there is less than 10 people in line even without the appointment. And the CHP saw me later in the week.

I forgot the rest of California isn't like this.

It is nice having the California plate though. It is illegal to own and drive a vehicle in CA that is licensed in another state if you are a California resident. My friend got busted because a cop drove by his work and saw his Oregon plate on his bike over a period of a few months. He had to transfer and pay registration and a fine. I realize people get away with out of state plates all the time but it would seem well worth the $40 to do it right.

The CHP even has a "cheaters" program so you can report out of state plates on residents cars and motorcycles. https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

I appreciate you posting the Vermont tip though. In some states it's very difficult to register anything out of the system.

Thanks
UTC

Enthusiast
1966 SX200 - 1960 Series 2 Suderia 265cc

Enthusiast
1966 SX200 - 1960 Series 2 Suderia 265cc
UTC quote
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bsgAAOSwgQ9VlmGc/s-l300.jpg

Great writeup man, I've been using some dirtbike walkthrough for years, this is cleaner. Just did my S2 through Vermont, but only sent in the frame pic. Of course, they had no clue what that was and rejected. I sent again with something that was correct for a 1960 S2 150, flew through.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Addicted
Rally 180, li150, P125, p200, p200, p200

Addicted
Rally 180, li150, P125, p200, p200, p200
UTC quote
.....and for those who wonder about a bike with an existing VT title/plate, and trying to obtain a more standard title in their home state using the VT documents, I can say that in VA it went rather smoothly.

I won a rally raffle bike a couple years ago and had a VT plate. Upon showing up at the Va DMV, I had only the reg card in my hand and some photos of the bike. I got some odd looks, and had to explain that VT does not issue a "full" title for antique machines under 300cc. With a few minutes of digging in one of the old title guide books, they printed a fresh, full, va title and handed me an antique reg plate.

Keep in mind you will need to affirm on the forms that you hold a current insurance policy on the vehicle or be charged 500.00usd. You do not need proof of insurance at time of registration, but generally have a couple days to get your coverage lined up before getting flagged.

8)
UTC

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250
UTC quote
Hours and hours of my life wasted at the CA DMV... Been at the counter for an hour after waiting in line even with an appointment... VT is waaaay easier.
@october avatar
UTC

Addicted
64 allstate, 66 sprint, 74 primavera, 79 P125x

Addicted
@october avatar
64 allstate, 66 sprint, 74 primavera, 79 P125x
UTC quote
This should be a sticky!
@banzaitree avatar
UTC

Hooked
'79 ET3, '81 100 Sport

Hooked
@banzaitree avatar
'79 ET3, '81 100 Sport
UTC quote
Iamthegump wrote:
It is nice having the California plate though. It is illegal to own and drive a vehicle in CA that is licensed in another state if you are a California resident. My friend got busted because a cop drove by his work and saw his Oregon plate on his bike over a period of a few months. He had to transfer and pay registration and a fine. I realize people get away with out of state plates all the time but it would seem well worth the $40 to do it right.

The CHP even has a "cheaters" program so you can report out of state plates on residents cars and motorcycles. https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)
That's good to know. This method is still handy, since a VT registration is enough to title & register it here in CA.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
To bring this thread back alive, I have another bonus to add...you can can also register a scooter that's 25 years or older as an "antique". In "Section 4" of the "Tax and Title Application Form", you have the option of choosing "Registration/Plate Type". Instead of filling in the "motorcycle (#18 )" box, write down "Antique (#03)". Registration will be $23 per year instead of $48 for the regular registration.
@frank_n_stein avatar
UTC

Hooked
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5

Hooked
@frank_n_stein avatar
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
you can can also register a scooter that's 25 years or older as an "antique". In "Section 4" of the "Tax and Title Application Form", you have the option of choosing "Registration/Plate Type". Instead of filling in the "motorcycle (#18 )" box, write down "Antique (#03)". Registration will be $23 per year instead of $48 for the regular registration.
Is an antique registration also valid for transfer to another state (Cal, namely)? I don't see why not, but you never know. Also, CA has different standards for "antique" (built in 1942 or before), which might be an issue.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Frank N. Stein wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
you can can also register a scooter that's 25 years or older as an "antique". In "Section 4" of the "Tax and Title Application Form", you have the option of choosing "Registration/Plate Type". Instead of filling in the "motorcycle (#18 )" box, write down "Antique (#03)". Registration will be $23 per year instead of $48 for the regular registration.
Is an antique registration also valid for transfer to another state (Cal, namely)? I don't see why not, but you never know. Also, CA has different standards for "antique" (built in 1942 or before), which might be an issue.
I wouldn't see why not in California. It will work in Oregon. A registration is a registration. That's how I'm doing it with one of my Oregon based scooters.
Oregon DMV also has different "antique" standards as well. http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/6577.pdf
@drona avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@drona avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Frank N. Stein wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
I wouldn't see why not in California. It will work in Oregon. A registration is a registration. That's how I'm doing it with one of my Oregon based scooters.
Oregon DMV also has different "antique" standards as well. http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/6577.pdf
Do you live in Oregon?
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
yes
@drona avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@drona avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
yes
Haha..okay, what part?
You going to Spring Scoot?
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
dr.ona wrote:
whodatschrome wrote:
yes
Haha..okay, what part?
You going to Spring Scoot?
I'm going to be out of town that weekend. I have to say that I'm a bit bummed out that i'm not going to make it.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@nedshaw avatar
UTC

1977 P200E

@nedshaw avatar
1977 P200E
UTC quote
vermont titles
OK, so I just want to be clear. If I live in Illinois, and buy a scooter with no title, I can register it in Vermont without a Vermont address?
@drona avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@drona avatar
UTC quote
Re: vermont titles
nedshaw wrote:
OK, so I just want to be clear. If I live in Illinois, and buy a scooter with no title, I can register it in Vermont without a Vermont address?
Yes..
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I live in Oregon, and I just received my Vermont plate last week.

If someone decides to go the Vermont route, I'd recommend contacting your local department of vehicles (or state police) to run the vin# first to make sure no red flags pop up. There might be explaining to do if it turns out that the scooter already has been titled in the past.
@nedshaw avatar
UTC

1977 P200E

@nedshaw avatar
1977 P200E
UTC quote
I have searched the Illinois DOT and sec of state sites and can't find anything on lost/missing title replacement. I might try the Vermont method.
@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
Beside all the hassles to get title in CA, registration fee for CA scooter is expensive ~128. I would go with VT route if you don't ride it often.
@hama avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa pk 50 xls

Hooked
@hama avatar
Vespa pk 50 xls
UTC quote
So you just use your own address?
@drona avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@drona avatar
UTC quote
Hama wrote:
So you just use your own address?
Yes...
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
UTC quote
works very well
I'm in San Diego and just did this. very simple after following this thread directions. got the plate and reg within a couple weeks. my last name was spelled wrong. one call to the uber friendly Vermont dmv and he just changed it on his end and a week later I got a corrected reg slip. I have the feeling that the CA DMV would have made me supply multiple IDs and a DNA sample. I have not tried to title it in CA, not sure if I'm gonna or must leave it VT. a title feels more solid though.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

VBB2T and VLA1T

VBB2T and VLA1T
UTC quote
Vermont registration
It still works! I've just registered two 1965 machines that lacked registrations or titles with no problems. I followed your instructions to the letter and everything worked out exactly as you said. Thanks!!
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino

Hooked
@bazziemoto avatar
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino
UTC quote
Insurance question
So I've searched and read through multiple threads here about joining the Green Plate Club and I haven't found any information regarding insurance. There is one mention above that VT requires insurance and that there's a check box on the form, but what do you do after that? How do you actually get it insured? Companies in many states won't write out-of-state policies and I'm assuming that a VT insurance agency won't write you a policy with a VT address. How does everyone deal with this? Thanks.
@bean_counter avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 BV350 White

Hooked
@bean_counter avatar
2016 BV350 White
UTC quote
Insurance is sold based the VIN of the vehicle and not (necessarily) the license plate. I.e. the insurance company knows your plate number, but you are still insured if your plate changes.

Also, if you are going to do this, don't leave your scooter parked outside all of the time where someone can see your out of state plate and rat you out. Either put your scooter in your garage when you are not using it or at least park it with the back of the scooter to your house so that no one can see your out of state plate.

As stated before, this should be a temporary situation to help you get a title and registration in your home state. If you get stopped by a cop and your state license doesn't match your state registration you will definitely get a ticket. I even got a ticket for not updating my registration address on top of a violation ticket.

BTW, the CA DMV wants to keep taxing you every year just for owning a vehicle even if its not being used. The VT plate and a dummy sale could also be used as a way to get around paying years of back registration fees. I'm not recommended this, just saying.
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@bazziemoto avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the info, beancounter. Sadly, in MA, you have to have had the VT registration for a year before you can transfer it to MA. What a huge pain in the ass.
@moto_mark avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 75th Anniversary GTS 300, Vespa 70th Anniversary PX150, Vespa 946, Vespa Rally 200, Vespa PX150, Piaggio Liberty 125

Hooked
@moto_mark avatar
Vespa 75th Anniversary GTS 300, Vespa 70th Anniversary PX150, Vespa 946, Vespa Rally 200, Vespa PX150, Piaggio Liberty 125
UTC quote
Dumb question I know but I've not heard this addressed: whose name do you use for the seller ? Do you make up a name ? I need to title a bike that's from New Zealand and it has no paperwork.
@gmontag avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@gmontag avatar
UTC quote
Just a heads up. The link to the VD119 document in the OP has gone dead. The new link appears to be:

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App_0.pdf

Note the "_0".
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
gmontag wrote:
Just a heads up. The link to the VD119 document in the OP has gone dead. The new link appears to be:

Note the "_0".
Yes, the outline of the form changed just a smidge, but it's still the same process. No doubt it's the government at work here trying to re-dis-un-streamline whatever is currently working in order to create more confusion.
@gmontag avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@gmontag avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
gmontag wrote:

Note the "_0".
Yes, the outline of the form changed just a smidge, but it's still the same process. No doubt it's the government at work here trying to re-dis-un-streamline whatever is currently working in order to create more confusion.
Can you edit your OP, or is there a time limit?

I'm going to give it a shot this week. Thanks for documenting this. Very cool.
OP
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the heads up. I'll edit the links for the correct forms.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@ph0ngvu avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@ph0ngvu avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
FYI, the VT-119 form link has been changed back to without "_0"

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf
@frank_n_stein avatar
UTC

Hooked
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5

Hooked
@frank_n_stein avatar
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
UTC quote
Me thinks this thread should be made a sticky. Deffo useful for anyone trying to get an old/long unregistered bike back on the road.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@gmontag avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@gmontag avatar
UTC quote
Don't be a cheap-ass like me and use a sale value less than $500. You will get your application returned.

$500 is the minimum for a motorcycle.
@brightsideoflife415 avatar
UTC

64 Allstate 62 Vbb 64 Li 77 Et3

@brightsideoflife415 avatar
64 Allstate 62 Vbb 64 Li 77 Et3
UTC quote
Thank you MJ Rally. I also followed your instructions.

Works like a charm. Received my plate on Monday, sticker and registration on Friday.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1805s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1348s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]