OP
UTC

TBD

TBD
UTC quote
I'm considering options for taking our scooters with us when we go camping with our tow behind traveltrailer. Double trailers are only an option is some states. ( I have a list). And I could put a receiver on the back of the travel trailer for a carrier. But I'm concerned about the tongue weight going negative at my truck.
Any thoughts here?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Just a thought -- could you put the scooters in the truck bed?
OP
UTC

TBD

TBD
UTC quote
The lxv yes, the gtv requires the truck gate down as it's to long. But then the truck gate hits the trailer jack.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Hmmm...to me, a GTV sounds like a big load for a carrier...but I don't know a thing about RVs. I've only ever pulled a utility trailer. How big is your travel trailer?

Another thought...how about leaving the GTV at home and getting another LX or smaller scooter for the trailer trips?
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
Having a travel trailer (TT), I am opting for putting my scoots in the back of the truck bed but mine are Sprint 150's. I also bought the truck with an 8 ft bed so I can haul with the tailgate closed.

Since your TT does not have a factory receiver in the back (some do now) you would have to have one welded to the frame. The frame may be able to accommodate it but you most likely would void any type of warranty.

The receivers I have seen from the factory on TT's have a weight limit of 300lbs, so the scoot plus the carrier cannot weigh more than that.

Unless your TT is a super light weight one I don't think you would go negative on the hitch but handling will be different. Manufacturer's do look at weight distribution and that helps determine where they put the axles.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
How tall is the truck cab? Consider putting a receiver on the front of the truck and put the m/c carrier there.
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
How tall is the truck cab? Consider putting a receiver on the front of the truck and put the m/c carrier there.
That is another possibility but some things to consider. Not knowing details of your TT or TV, if you have a WD hitch then that would have to be readjusted for the weight on the front of the TV and adjusted again for if you do not carry the scooter.

The other item to consider is the weight on the front axle if you are exceeding the axle capacity.

Another thought is what is the payload capacity of the truck? You may exceed that with the TT tongue weight, scoot in bed, full tank of gas, passenger(s), anything loaded into the truck counts towards the payload without even considering carrying the larger one.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
Could you get the larger scooter inside the trailer?

If not, I think you could mount a Versahaul type carrier on the rear of the trailer. It's going to be less than 350lbs, so you should be ok.
@kawzak avatar
UTC

Addicted
New 2023 BV-400

Addicted
@kawzak avatar
New 2023 BV-400
UTC quote
I know there are many carriers made to haul heavier m/c and scooters. Problem is they add even more weight to the receiver hitch, not good IMO. If the travel trailer is a large one it may handle the weight. See your hand book. If it were my travel trailer I would make it into a toy hauler type. Or trade in for one. Just my 2 cents. The 300 GTV weighs about 300+ Lbs With fluids, etc. No easy answers here. Good luck what ever you choose.
@ducatiss avatar
UTC

Addicted
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@ducatiss avatar
1979 P200E, 2006 Piaggio Fly 150, 2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Our RV Setup
We have a twenty one year old Class C Motorhome. We have been across country several times with a double Versahaul for the GTS and the Fly 150. It is not too much weight when attached to the 1 ton chassis, but I would have to think that attached to a travel trailer, it might wag things. The most recent trip, we took just the GTS and rode two up all the time, and put bicycles in the other tray.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@capt_gary avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 Vespa super,2016 vespa 3 00 1979 p200 with sidecar 1958 cu shman eagle with sidecar Inder trai ler 1983 bajaj tuk tuk tristar 2018 royal Enfi

Hooked
@capt_gary avatar
2010 Vespa super,2016 vespa 3 00 1979 p200 with sidecar 1958 cu shman eagle with sidecar Inder trai ler 1983 bajaj tuk tuk tristar 2018 royal Enfi
OP
UTC

TBD

TBD
UTC quote
Jack e up... never seen that. How cool is that. Everyone with a butcrease in there tailgate should do this. Thanks. I think this will solve my problem
25ft + hitch by the way. And pretty light. 600 lbs tounge weight.
Yup. Put it in the box.
Love this forum.

Edit. No that won't work. Scooters loaded. Gate is down. Can't back up to the hitch. Unless I lower it with my stabilizing jacks. Sounds tricky
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0122s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0071s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]