OP
UTC

Vespa Rally 200

Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
My restored (2 years) 1972 Vespa Sprint stalls out going uphill. Starts up on the 3rd kick every time, idles fine and revs fine. When I pull out the choke the bike then runs fine up the hill back to my home in hilly San Francisco. I put out both of the jets, cleaned them out but didn't make any difference. That's all I'vd done so far. Any suggestions on why this is happening is greatly appreciated.

It was running fine prior to the recent 2 months of much needed rain in the Bay Area.
@ruffstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 px125

Hooked
@ruffstuff avatar
2006 px125
UTC quote
Is there anything that could be pinching a pipe or wire when all the weights loaded towards the back like going up hill ?

Is all the fuel system correct, running of fuel pipe so on as to not hinder flow when the angle shifts, ie pipe too long & low so no gravity feed?

Get a few big matescreen or some wood/straps etc & truse to recreate the angle so you can have a nose
UTC

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250
UTC quote
Slow fuel flow
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Are you saying that you are running the scoot on choke up the hills?
@championstuff avatar
UTC

Hooked
1979 P125X

Hooked
@championstuff avatar
1979 P125X
UTC quote
i would try a new fuel tap.
OP
UTC

Vespa Rally 200

Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
Yes, it stalls going uphill, I quickly pull out the choke (instinctfully) and the engine came to life-made it up the hill to the garage.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Float level is wrong?

You brought a Sprint, not the Pikes Peak version?
OP
UTC

Vespa Rally 200

Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
Resolve this problem by leaving the choke out about 1/8" from closed position. Not sure why but it works and runs fine. The choke has to move from fully open until the engine warms to the 1/8" position. Pulling the choke out to 1/8" from closed position won't work.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Well... that's not really a resolution. The scoot wasn't intended to be run with the choke even partially out.

My money's on fuel line's either a couple of inches too long or it's not routed around the tank correctly. Should be a simple fix, might as well just do it.
OP
UTC

Vespa Rally 200

Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
Rode the Sprint into Scooter Center, SF with the choke half way out. Confirm by them that there's a bad air leak with the engine. Need to have the engine go through a 100% tear down and replace all seals, etc. Will post update.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0119s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0060s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]