OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Wondering what your thoughts might be, my GTS (2016 w/ESS fork/suspension) has the front end wobble at the usual lower speeds and now a bit of a wobble at 60 MPH, a thud on the bumps in the front suspension and the bike feels light in the front end almost as though all the weight is in the back and the front end is barely touching the road even when I move forward in the seat for weight distribution (I understand these bikes are weighted heavier in the rear). Additional issues are chattering variator/clutch,rear wheel squeak bouncy/soft suspension all around sometimes it feels like I bought a "Friday bike" as it were. Any thoughts? At this point I am close to getting rid of the bike all together...
⚠️ Last edited by Budz on UTC; edited 1 time
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I presume we are talking about a GTS under warranty. Certainly many of the problems you describe are not typical of the '15/'16 GTS. Have you tried to work with your dealer to get some of these issues diagnosed and corrected? Do you have a competent dealer nearby? If not, you may want to tell us where you are based and seek recommendations about Vespa dealers a bit further away that may be more effective. And it may be that part of the problem is that you do not care for the stock suspension (though your description makes the issue sound far worse than that). It is certainly possible to upgrade the suspension and many have done that. There are numerous posts and recommendations on that subject here as well.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Have you adjusted the rear suspension and inflated the tires to the specs on the ID tag?
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC

Hooked
TV2, Sprint Veloce, GTS Super Sport

Hooked
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC quote
Re: more front end woes...
Budz wrote:
Wondering what your thoughts might be, my GTS (2016 w/ESS fork/suspension) has the front end wobble at the usual lower speeds and now a bit of a wobble at 60 MPH,...
~~~this sounds like it *could* be a bad tire...putting a different tire on the front just to see if it is the tire would eliminate that possibility
@buster_gonads avatar
UTC

Hooked
On my third GTS

Hooked
@buster_gonads avatar
On my third GTS
UTC quote
I had front end wobble on one of my GTS,s, i put a new REAR tire on, balanced, wobble gone.
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
Additional issues are chattering variator/clutch
~~~that wouldn't bother me but when does it happen, under load of when you're off the throttle?
Budz wrote:
,rear wheel squeak
when you apply the brake?

Budz wrote:
bouncy/soft suspension all around
are the rear shocks pre load positioned all the way?...I had mine adjusted up, but then I'm a bit of a fat ass=:-), yet my 2013 doesn' wallow in the least bit
Budz wrote:
sometimes it feels like I bought a "Friday bike" as it were. Any thoughts? At this point I am close to getting rid of the bike all together...
~~~I spose if you're soured on it, that would be an option (putting it up for sale)
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@shakin_jake avatar
UTC quote
buster gonads wrote:
I had front end wobble on one of my GTS,s, i put a new REAR tire on, balanced, wobble gone.
~~~I've heard that solves the issue before (replacing and or balancing the rear tire)

I gotta knock on wood, my 2013 GTS has been stellar, all the way around!
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
You've had two large wheeled scooters(Honda SH150i Kimco 300). Now you have a small wheel scooter. Sometimes You have to try different scooters until you find the one that makes you happy. Spring is coming. It would be a good time to move to the next scoot.
@snookerinberlin avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS Super 300ie 'Sofia', 2014 Suzuki SV650

Hooked
@snookerinberlin avatar
2017 GTS Super 300ie 'Sofia', 2014 Suzuki SV650
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
... it feels like I bought a "Friday bike" as it were. ...
I have the same bike in the '15 model year.
When I got it, there were none of these symptoms. One idiot bicyclist wreck later, I have the wobble, the thud on hitting bumps, and yes indeed... the whole thing now seems less stable in daily running.

Before anyone asks, NO the Vespa dealer who repaired the damage did not respond satisfactorily when I told them about the wobble/general change in character. "Oh, it isn't too bad. I've been on some of these models that you would think they were going to fall apart under you."
Lovely service, eh?

Because of amazingly short legs, I have had the front of my saddle carved down, and I sit very far forward. So too much weight on the back seems to not be my problem.

I had been deciding to do a scientific-type test to try to get rid of my 40-30 decelaration wobble:
Maintain a full tank
Use the same street for each test
Tire pressure at manufacturer's suggested numbers... then a series up and down the scale.
With and without the topcase/weights
... and now after reading this thread, adjusting the pre-load.

The back tire is at 6,000km/3,700mi.
Maybe I should change it, balancing, etc.

I can add one more thing to the Friday bike scenario. Major motor meltdown, almost completly covered by the manufacturer. Somehow, I ended up paying for a part which cost 150EUR even though the machine pretty much blew up on the highway and was not my fault at all. Just like I ended up paying over 400EUR for an accident which the police judged I could not have avoided at all.

My last bike was sold as the belt was beginning to go. I got way too much money for it (they accepted the asking price that I had built a negotiation pad into). Now I almost feel that my Friday bike is the resulting bad karma for getting rid of a great little bike which had very few problems.
⚠️ Last edited by SnookerInBerlin on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
SnookerInBerlin wrote:
Budz wrote:
... it feels like I bought a "Friday bike" as it were. ...
I have the same bike in the '15 model year.
When I got it, there were none of these symptoms. One idiot bicyclist wreck later, I have the wobble, the thud on hitting bumps, and yes indeed... the whole thing now seems less stable in daily running.

Before anyone asks, NO the Vespa dealer who repaired the damage did not respond satisfactorily when I told them about the wobble/general change in character. "Oh, it isn't too bad. I've been on some of these models that you would think they were going to fall apart under you."
Lovely service, eh?

Because of amazingly short legs, I have had the front of my saddle carved down, and I sit very far forward. So too much weight on the back seems to not be my problem.

I had been deciding to do a scientific-type test to try to get rid of my 40-30 decelaration wobble:
Maintain a full tank
Use the same street for each test
Tire pressure at manufacturer's suggested numbers... then a series up and down the scale.
With and without the topcase/weights
... and now after reading this thread, adjusting the pre-load.

The back tire is at 6,000km/3,700mi.
Maybe I should change it, balancing, etc.

I can add one more thing to the Friday bike scenario. Major motor meltdown, almost completly covered by the manufacturer. Somehow, I ended up paying for a part which cost 150EUR even though the machine pretty much blew up on the highway and was not my fault at all. Just like I ended up paying over 400EUR for an accident which the police judged I could not have avoided at all.

My last bike was sold as the belt was beginning to go. I got way too much money for it (they accepted the asking price that I had built a negotiation pad into). Now I almost feel that my Friday bike is the resulting bad karma for getting rid of a great little bike which had problems.
you had a rough time with your bike for sure! I think we have the same bike Europe's '15 are the US '16. Luckily I had no melt downs or blow up, yet. The only things I can think of that may be the cause are the; front tire, steering column or bearing (from hitting a potholes in the city). The bike has about 2,200 miles and new rear tire (due to a nail), no accidents or drops and I have adjusted the tire pressure endlessly to no avail.

I too regret selling my old bike for a Vespa even though I love the Vespa. Having issues with a new bike diminishes the fun out of owning it...
UTC

Enthusiast
07lx190(sold big mistake),09gts250,13bv350(sold),10lx190(pink)

Enthusiast
07lx190(sold big mistake),09gts250,13bv350(sold),10lx190(pink)
UTC quote
Spin your rear tire by hand and see if it has a wobble. I had a front tire mounted and the bead wasn't evenly seated. When I spun the wheel the tire wobbled like the wheel was bent. The bike vibrated like going over a washboard road . The shop reset the bead and smooth as ever. If your symptoms started after that new back tire check it out.
@happystrada avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150 (La bella Argento)

Hooked
@happystrada avatar
UTC quote
I was getting a bit of wobble at low speed and deceleration and just aired my tires to the spec on the card on the scoot and the wobble is gone. For the record I have a 2016 GTS Super that replaced a 2013 and the ESS is a huge upgrade in overall handling.
@lobo104 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@lobo104 avatar
2019 Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I have a 2015 and so far so good!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Lobo104 wrote:
I have a 2015 and so far so good!
Same here. It's been without any issues whatsoever. Maybe a Wednesday bike. Nerd emoticon
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Have to somehow look up the day mine was made, but it's been good so far.
@kyvelis avatar
UTC

Addicted
79' p125x

Addicted
@kyvelis avatar
79' p125x
UTC quote
rake?
shot in the dark but.. any thing higher at the back end i.e, higher tire pressures, pre-load adjusted to full stiff etc to compensate for a heavier rider will reduce the rake making it more skittish and wanting to wobble or shake. hows about softening things up at the back end? drop the psi a bit, soften the pre load, 2 or 3 psi extra in the front tire? its easy to stuff up your set up and make it skittish without pinpointing where you went wrong. all i said is frreee to do and wont take more than 20 minutes. if you try it and it works, let me know

rgds
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
So, I took some measures toward the front end. Installed; Malossi shocks all around, new Power Pure tires all around and 13 inch Yourban wheels. Problems solved (wobble and thud), so best I can deduce based on many of your comments is the front tire was the culprit but that's just a guess.

I like the new set up a lot! The bike feels more stable like a big wheel scooter while keeping the quick maneuverability of a small wheel scooter.

Thanks to Motovista, he sold me the Malossi shocks and give me a ton of great advice and to Andythebuilder for all his help and great advice with fitting the 13" Yourban wheels on my bike with the ABS ring.

Thanks again everybody for all the input, it was very helpful as always
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Budz on UTC; edited 3 times
@lobo104 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@lobo104 avatar
2019 Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I bet that set you back a pretty penny!
@thenaughtylemur avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto (sold) - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)

Molto Verboso
@thenaughtylemur avatar
2006 Suzuki S40 - 1978 Puch Pinto (sold) - 2006 Piaggio BV250 (R.I.P.)
UTC quote
That also remedied the thuds?
@kiwirider avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio FLY 125, 2014 300GTS Super

Enthusiast
@kiwirider avatar
2008 Piaggio FLY 125, 2014 300GTS Super
UTC quote
Sweet Ride budz!!
"Excellent things are rare" PLATO
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@happystrada avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@happystrada avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
So, I took some measures toward the front end. Installed; Malossi shocks all around, new Power Pure tires all around and 13 inch Yourban wheels. Problems solved (wobble and thud), so best I can deduce based on many of your comments is the front tire was the culprit but that's just a guess.

I like the new set up a lot! The bike feels more stable like a big wheel scooter while keeping the quick maneuverability of a small wheel scooter.

Thanks to Motovista, he sold me the Malossi shocks and give me a ton of great advice and to Andythebuilder for all his help and great advice with fitting the 13" Yourban wheels on my bike with the ABS ring.

Any chance you can post a close up picture of the rear wheel with the ABS ring setup?
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:

Any chance you can post a close up picture of the rear wheel with the ABS ring setup?
here you are, if you have any questions please let me know...
@happystrada avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@happystrada avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:

Thank you, Thank you !!!!
Looks like they used the longer wheel bolts the ring attaches to. I was just making sure it was a straight bolt on set up which makes this a simple upgrade. I have my eyes on the 12" MP3 front wheels in all black and this should do it
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:

Looks like they used the longer wheel bolts the ring attaches to. I was just making sure it was a straight bolt on set up which makes this a simple upgrade. I have my eyes on the 12" MP3 front wheels in all black and this should do it
no, we are using the stock bolts, just added spacers/washers. These are 13' wheels and I am not sure about the 12" from the MP3 set up
@happystrada avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@happystrada avatar
UTC quote
Budz wrote:
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:

no, we are using the stock bolts, just added spacers/washers. These are 13' wheels and I am not sure about the 12" from the MP3 set up
Got it! If your GTS is 2015 the ABS ring attaches to the bolts, in 2016 the rear sensor bolts to the wheel in separate holes on each wheel spoke. Did you add spacers between the sensor and the bolts? And id so what thickness? Thanks again for posting this!
OP
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
UTC quote
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:
Happystrada wrote:
Budz wrote:

Got it! If your GTS is 2015 the ABS ring attaches to the bolts, in 2016 the rear sensor bolts to the wheel in separate holes on each wheel spoke. Did you add spacers between the sensor and the bolts? And id so what thickness? Thanks again for posting this!
I had these very wheels on my 2016 GTS and now they are on my 2015. I believe there are differences between 2015 and 2016 in Europe but the US is a year behind Europe...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0255s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0086s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]