@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
I know to a lot of you MVers that scooter touring isn't a big deal, but it is quite unique to me. I just don't get the opportunity and have only done one trip of any distance (2-up from SC to KY for 5 days). But in a little over a month I am taking off for 10 days, leaving from Charleston SC, up to Chattanooga (all back roads on my GTV) and meet up with my son, who is riding (MC) from Ft Collins CO. Then the both of us will head up through the Smokey Mountains and Appalachia towards Virginia before looping back on a different route. We will be doing "dispersed camping" in the National Forests, unless it is really foul weather in which case we will find a motel or camp site with facilities.

Any cooking will be basic coffee/tea and maybe some simple breakfast on a Primus. Otherwise we will be seeking out barbeque places and such for our meals. Camping will be hammock camping to keep it basic. I will post some pics once the scoot is loaded. Before departing, I will be doing my 9,000 mile service and replacing the front shock (Malossi) and installing Clauss bushings in the rear (that would be of the scooter).

If I figure out how to post pics from my phone, I will do that along the way...

I'm psyched!!
@paultbach avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 Vespa GTV 300

Hooked
@paultbach avatar
2016 Vespa GTV 300
UTC quote
That sounds like so much fun! Can't wait to hear all about it! I'm in the midst of planning my first long touring trip sometime this summer as well!
@virginian avatar
UTC

Hooked
'14 Vespa 946, '18 Yamaha Xmax

Hooked
@virginian avatar
UTC quote
Looking forward to the updates and pics. Enjoy!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Sounds like an awesome trip. You could nickname it the Barbeque Tour.

Don't forget your camera!
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Really sounds perfect -- and, yeah, drown us in pics, please.
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Still four weeks from departure. It has been difficult for me "not to do much planning" in order to stay spontaneous. We are pretty much going to head from Chattanooga TN to Floyd VA. I do know we will go to Tellico Plains then the Cherahala, Dragons Tail and on to Asheville. We will plan and change our route as the mood and food dictate, so I (the uberplanner) has to cool my jets for the time being. I will try to post pics as we go along. Two of my "little" brothers may ride down join us for a day or so en route. If that is the case it will be a Yamaha FJ, BMW R1200RT and Ducati Multstrada trying to keep up with the GTV! Wow, I just realized those marques represent the "Axis" powers! Ha!
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa LX150ie, 1968 Vespa Sprint 150

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like a beautiful ride. I will be stoked to see your photos.

Just stay out of a canoe.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
PAD ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon I kayaked that river shortly after the movie. We had fun with the song. When i used to go rafting up in WVA (New and Gauley rivers) i went thru some interesting areas. Got stuck in the mud once (had NY plates on my car Crying or Very sad emoticon ) and went to 5 houses before i found somebody with a phone. This was back in the good old days before the internet.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300IE

Enthusiast
GTS300IE
UTC quote
Wow!

Sounds like a great trip!

A bit of planning is a good idea, just so you don't near-miss anything epic!
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Most of my planning will be making sure I am prepared (my wife refers to it as being a Man Scout). I am a meticulous planner but my son has "inferred" that he wants an "adventure." So my planning is pretty much making sure that we have all the maps and resources with us to find out-of-the-way attractions and eateries. There is a cool website that I ran across while not planning (roadtrippers.com). You can punch in and alter routes, then specify what you are looking for and how far off of your route it can be. So going from point A to point B you could, for instance, look for barbecue places anywhere from 5 to 40 miles from your route. You don't really have to look anything up ahead of time, so I am not really planning...
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
No matter how much you plan, you will still have an adventure. Have fun, wear your gear and come back safe.
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
I love planning. To me it is half the fun. My motto is "Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst." A practice acquired from years of sailing.

Just got a new Malossi shock for the front, Clauss bushings for front and back, awaiting a new rear tire and going to change out all the fluids and do a 9,000 mile service prior to departure.

Tierney, I am a big fan of AGATT and will be in Hi-viz, armored gear. We will be camping super light. Hammocks and Primus stove, so all of my camping gear easily fits beneath the seat. I May have to have a separate bag for Tums as I feel we will be seeking out and eating at a lot of "country kitchens."
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
rosscooter wrote:
Most of my planning will be making sure I am prepared (my wife refers to it as being a Man Scout). I am a meticulous planner but my son has "inferred" that he wants an "adventure." So my planning is pretty much making sure that we have all the maps and resources with us to find out-of-the-way attractions and eateries. There is a cool website that I ran across while not planning (roadtrippers.com). You can punch in and alter routes, then specify what you are looking for and how far off of your route it can be. So going from point A to point B you could, for instance, look for barbecue places anywhere from 5 to 40 miles from your route. You don't really have to look anything up ahead of time, so I am not really planning...
the BEST set of maps you will need are from america rides maps. get the 9 map pocket set. http://americaridesmaps.com

these maps are essential to riding the smokies. we use the exclusivly in planning our gatherings twice a year.
@paddlenround avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@paddlenround avatar
UTC quote
judy wrote:
PAD ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon I kayaked that river shortly after the movie. We had fun with the song. When i used to go rafting up in WVA (New and Gauley rivers) i went thru some interesting areas. Got stuck in the mud once (had NY plates on my car Crying or Very sad emoticon ) and went to 5 houses before i found somebody with a phone. This was back in the good old days before the internet.
Scary and too funny. I have driven through that country and it's beautiful but yes, Deliverance does linger in your mind when you see those homes nestled up above the river.
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
"...the BEST set of maps you will need are from america rides maps. get the 9 map pocket set. http://americaridesmaps.com

these maps are essential to riding the smokies. we use the exclusivly in planning our gatherings twice a year."

Do you think they are better than the Butler maps?
UTC

Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150

Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
The Cherohala I really like.....the Dragon not so much, but folks gotta do it once I guess

River road out of Tellico up to the NC line is a nice ride on a scooter.

fried okra
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
fried okra wrote:
The Cherohala I really like.....the Dragon not so much, but folks gotta do it once I guess

River road out of Tellico up to the NC line is a nice ride on a scooter.

fried okra
Actually did that on bicycles two years ago...
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
rosscooter wrote:
"...the BEST set of maps you will need are from america rides maps. get the 9 map pocket set. http://americaridesmaps.com

these maps are essential to riding the smokies. we use the exclusivly in planning our gatherings twice a year."

Do you think they are better than the Butler maps?
absolutely. I have both.
The amount of detail in the america rides maps is much better. Wayne the owner has road every road numerous times on his maps. its all he does is rides and keeps his stuff current. on the back side he describes roads, places to eat, gas stops, waterfalls ect.
You won't be disappointed by no means.
They fold up and fit into pockets easy, very very water resistant. I have had mine in a steady rain and no issues.
UTC

Vespa GT60

Vespa GT60
UTC quote
Get a comfy seat for your gtv!
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Boatmonkey wrote:
Get a comfy seat for your gtv!
I have a gel sport seat that came with the scoot. I plan on using that. More to spare the leather one than anything else. It does give me about an inch more room though.
@kiwirider avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2008 Piaggio FLY 125, 2014 300GTS Super

Enthusiast
@kiwirider avatar
2008 Piaggio FLY 125, 2014 300GTS Super
UTC quote
Hey Rosscooter,
I like the Malossi shock I put on. Let us know how it goes..
I'm heading down to Melbourne in less than a week, on the GTS. Only a 1000k's to visit my brother. I'm looking forwards to the solitude and fun of the trip on a scooter. A smaller trip than you for sure but I share your anticipation. I bought an Airhawk cushion which is as yet untested. Also, I'll put a 130 on the front to hopefully improve highway travel. The front one is worn out. Good luck!!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Unless you want to eat a lot of dry meat covered in vinegar or ketchup, you might want to swing by Melvins or Bessingers for a bottle of Carolina gold. That way you can improve the quality of life for every one you meet at the BBQ joints you hit.
If you can get by there one of the three days they are opened, Bakers has their own Carolina gold in a jar that might be worth exposing the heathens to.
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Unless you want to eat a lot of dry meat covered in vinegar or ketchup, you might want to swing by Melvins or Bessingers for a bottle of Carolina gold. That way you can improve the quality of life for every one you meet at the BBQ joints you hit.
If you can get by there one of the three days they are opened, Bakers has their own Carolina gold in a jar that might be worth exposing the heathens to.
Funny.... I saw those at Publix yesterday and wondered the same thing. I think the real trick to good barbeque is finding the truly out-of-the-way places that aren't catering to the hordes. (i.e., they actually have to have good food to stay in business). Some of the best barbeque I have ever eaten was in a restaurant/barn up in the middle of NC. They only served one kind of BBQ, hash, rice, greens and a real thick sliced white bread. There was a large sign above the "buffet" table: "Take all you want but eat all you take."
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
A little more than 2 weeks till blast off. Just finished my 9,000 mile service and added the Malossi front shock and Clauss bushings all round as well as a new rear tire (Michelin City Grip). First time changing a 12" tire. Wowser, much tougher than even a 14"!

Decided not to wear my Icon Airmada helmet (which I bought especially for this little trip) because the wind noise is just a tad too much and the way the liner is sewn together in the front leaves me with a major crease. Probably just my voluminous noggin. But other than that it fits and feels fine.

Switched out the GTV leather seat for the "solo" Vespa gel seat. Just don't want to worry about getting the leather soaked in the rain and the gel gives me an inch or two more room.

I am guessing that all of my kit for the week will weigh less than 60 pounds and fit on the seat and both racks easily.

At this point, my only real worry is my dodgy old man back...
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Ah yes...the 'dodgy old man back'. Know it well! Have fun on your trip and take pics please. Great stuff.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Don't forget your earplugs! They can make a noisy helmet palatable. (Don't eat the helmet, wear the helmet!)
Have fun!
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
SCTLVR wrote:
Don't forget your earplugs! They can make a noisy helmet palatable. (Don't eat the helmet, wear the helmet!)
Have fun!
Yeah, I need some decent ones. Wallyworld just doesn't have anything except the cylinder type. Probably have to go to the gun store. I was contemplating getting the kind that you custom make by mixing a two-part "putty" and letting it cure in your ear. I have seen that at some of the larger sporting goods places. I would be curious to hear from fellow MVers as to what has worked for them?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
rosscooter wrote:
SCTLVR wrote:
Have fun!
Yeah, I need some decent ones. Wallyworld just doesn't have anything except the cylinder type. Probably have to go to the gun store. I was contemplating getting the kind that you custom make by mixing a two-part "putty" and letting it cure in your ear. I have seen that at some of the larger sporting goods places. I would be curious to hear from fellow MVers as to what has worked for them?
cheap yellow ones work fine. roll them up stick em in and let them expand. I have use them for many years. Throw them away when they start getting grungy.

Always have a couple pairs in the scoot as you can loose them easily.
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
rosscooter wrote:
SCTLVR wrote:
Have fun!
cheap yellow ones work fine. roll them up stick em in and let them expand. I have use them for many years. Throw them away when they start getting grungy.

Always have a couple pairs in the scoot as you can loose them easily.
Don't know why, but I need the tapered rounded ones. The others give me an ear ache for some weird reason. ?!?
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Well, new rear tire (City Grip), front shock (Malossi) and Clauss bushings all round. What a difference! Handling is just more solid through the turns and the scoot seems more solid.
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
UTC quote
I can taste that North Carolina BBQ. Make sure you post photographs of your trip. Sounds fun!!
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
I'm not much of a texter so the written parts will be brief. Desired not to risk my back on a two day ride to meet up with my son so I threw the Vespa in the back of the truck and carted it to Chattanooga to await the arrival of my son Alex who is riding in from Colorado. He arrived today and we will depart tomorrow. But first, some barbecue. Bailey's in Ringgold GA is about as homegrown as it gets. Smoked pulled pork and home-made sauce. No mustard or vinegar based stuff here... All tomato... [img][/img]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
And the sauce...
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
On the way to Tellico Plains...
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Brp
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Leaving Black Mountain, NC
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Stoked for you both -- what a cool thing to do with your kid!
@virginian avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@virginian avatar
UTC quote
Awesome! Scooter emoticon
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Just got back. 1,319 miles riding with my youngest son... As you can see our riding styles are a little different, but surprisingly enough I was able to stay pretty close on the Cherahala and Blue Ridge. Some of the other routes were above my pay grade...
OP
@rosscooter avatar
UTC

Addicted
2014 GTV 300ie

Addicted
@rosscooter avatar
2014 GTV 300ie
UTC quote
Popeye came with me and "Zebra" came with my son. Why do we have mascots?
It was unplanned but brought a smile to anyone who saw them. Here he is checking my new rear tire before departure.

When my son (I think I will call him by his name-Alex) got to Chattanooga he needed a new chain. This Bonneville was in the front showroom with 3 original miles which is the result of it being rolled around over the years!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0279s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0117s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]