@biffnix avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTV-300ie Touring

Hooked
@biffnix avatar
2011 GTV-300ie Touring
UTC quote
It was over 90 degrees F today, so since I replaced my rear tire yesterday (thanks everyone who responded to my tire thread in "General" - got a Michelin City Grip rear), I thought it would be nice to go for an evening ride. I headed up west from the house up Pine Creek road. The road ends at the Pine Creek mine - a very nice hike if you're ever in the area. Sort of a butt-kicker in elevation change, though...

Next, I headed back into the valley, and *just* beat the sunset on the east side of the valley, against the White Mountains. You can see the sun set behind the sierra crest. That road I was on in the first photo is just to the right of the highest peak (Mt. Tom) in the second photo. The road heads up several miles, just north of that moraine on the right side of Mt. Tom.

Anyway, I do so love my town, and California. Hard to beat the views...

Cheers, all.
This is up at the end of Pine Creek road, at the mine. That pass you see over the GTV heads up to Pine Creek lake (lower and upper), and then you can either head south back toward Paiute Pass, or north toward Mammoth pass.  It's a gorgeous hike, but a bit
This is up at the end of Pine Creek road, at the mine. That pass you see over the GTV heads up to Pine Creek lake (lower and upper), and then you can either head south back toward Paiute Pass, or north toward Mammoth pass. It's a gorgeous hike, but a bit
This is at the east end of Line Street, east of Bishop, California. I rode east to see if I could beat the sunset - I *just* made it. I will never tire of the views from my town. I do so love California...
This is at the east end of Line Street, east of Bishop, California. I rode east to see if I could beat the sunset - I *just* made it. I will never tire of the views from my town. I do so love California...
This is just west of the last photo.  The road loops west back toward Highway 395, which I took back into town.  Hard to beat a Sierra sunset here in the Eastern Sierra.  Owens Valley at its finest...
This is just west of the last photo. The road loops west back toward Highway 395, which I took back into town. Hard to beat a Sierra sunset here in the Eastern Sierra. Owens Valley at its finest...
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
Great photos!! Thanks for the report.
@strick avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Ossessionato
@strick avatar
2021 Ducati Multistrada 950S
UTC quote
Beautiful photos. I like the last photo of the road, mountains and sunset. Like the end of a cowboy movie, riding off into the sunset.
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Wow. Just wow. Really stunning shots!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Gorgeous photos....of course any good picture looks even better with a Vespa in it.
OP
@biffnix avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTV-300ie Touring

Hooked
@biffnix avatar
2011 GTV-300ie Touring
UTC quote
Strick wrote:
Beautiful photos. I like the last photo of the road, mountains and sunset. Like the end of a cowboy movie, riding off into the sunset.
For Father's Day last Sunday, I was down at the Lone Pine Film Museum, and they specialize in all of the many old Western films that were shot locally in Owens Valley, where this photo was taken. You've seen those mountains in movies such as "The Shootist" with John Wayne, and hundreds of the old TV serials, such as "The Lone Ranger," "The Cisco Kid" and "Hopalong Cassidy." There's a reason the old west has such a mystique, and it's hard not to yearn for the wide open West of legend when you see scenes like this... I do love living here.

Cheers!
@oldcoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Aprilia Sportcity 250 & Suzuki Boulevard S50

Enthusiast
@oldcoot avatar
UTC quote
Wow! What beautiful pictures and scenery!

But what's that white stuff on the tops of those pretty mountains? It can't be snow... it's June 20th!

OP
@biffnix avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 GTV-300ie Touring

Hooked
@biffnix avatar
2011 GTV-300ie Touring
UTC quote
OldCoot wrote:

But what's that white stuff on the tops of those pretty mountains? It can't be snow... it's June 20th!

Tell me about it. I work in Mammoth Lakes (a ski resort town), and it was a record snow year. It's all melting fast now, but we had enormous amounts of snow this past winter, and since we've had over 5 straight years of drought, it's all good. I'd rather have a late summer than a drought any time!
@oldcoot avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@oldcoot avatar
UTC quote
biffnix wrote:
OldCoot wrote:

Tell me about it. I work in Mammoth Lakes (a ski resort town), and it was a record snow year. It's all melting fast now, but we had enormous amounts of snow this past winter, and since we've had over 5 straight years of drought, it's all good. I'd rather have a late summer than a drought any time!
When I got to Colorado a few years ago on my bike I was stunned by all the snow on the ground at high altitudes. And the low morning temps forced me to wear my heated jacket until about noon everyday! (But I loved every minute of it!)
@wmak avatar
UTC

Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon

Moto Giro Titan
@wmak avatar
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red,2020 Zero SR/S, Zeus, Electric Dragon
UTC quote
Beautiful photos!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0599s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0337s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]