OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
Painted a couple pieces thought I'd post up some pics. Key is using quality materials, but what really makes it work is the 2-part clear and rubbing compound.

Process:
1) feather wet sand(water with a couple drops of dish soap) any areas for repair with 400 grit. De-gloss clear on entire part with 400 grit or red Scotchbrite.

2) fill holes with Oatey ABS pipe cement(only works for ABS parts,) tape off one side and fill. Cement is pretty much just acetone with dissolved ABS solids. Acetone evaporates leaving "solvent welded" solids. Shape with 220 as required followed by 400 grit.

3) spot fill if needed followed by multiple coats of high build etching primer. Sand with 400 to perfectly smooth surface.

4) multiple coats of color as required. 600 grit or green Scotchbrite between coats.

5) single heavy or multiple coats of clear as required. 600 grit or green Scotchbrite between coats. Key is even heavy coat(multiple passes) don't worry about perfection.

6) level any dust, orange peel, or runs with 1200 grit followed by rubbing compound.

Sourced materials at San Leandro Color, they're on net as: http://www.paintscratch.com/company/about.html

Didn't have a code for "S" orange but were able to "read" a panel for very close match when used with light gray primer as "basecoat," PPG code 60972.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Nice job. Mine usually come out looking like a 5 year old did it.
@rajron avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300

Addicted
@rajron avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
That came out very nice!

I had to paint my wife's GTS rear Dragon Red, after the Bondo steps I had a good result with "Colorrite" using their base color; like you mentioned sanding and multi clear coats are important steps.
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
looks professional. great job. Clap emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0021s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]