Well that was certainly a long week, but today I finished the fork apart from the fitting of the mudguard.
I replaced the axle bearings with new SKF ones, taking the measurements of the old ones with me. As soon as I gave the guy in the shop the measurements he rattled off a couple of SKF part numbers and produced the bearings. They are slightly different in that they are pre-greased and have seals in them. A couple of the guys I work with have restored motorcycles and both suggested removing a seal and filling the bearings with my own grease. I did that, put them in the freezer and got them on to the axle. Then the assembly sat in the freezer for a while as I put grease into the bottom of the cavity before popping the axle assembly into the hole. It didn't seat completely so needed some encouragement using a long reach socket and hammer. I reused the left hand thread castellated nut although it was a little reluctant to go into the hub initially but running it back and forwards a few times before doing a final tidy up on the edges of the nut which had seen a few punch hits in its life. A smear of grease on the threads and it ran home well, before the tricky spring clip went back in. Whoever designed that was clearly having a bad day.
When I did a trial fit of the hub it appeared that the splines didn't want to match up. A closer look suggested that the end of some of the splines on the axle were damaged so I spent a bit of time filing the ends to make sure they were clear. After that the hub fitted easily so the brake shoes were fitted and the hub, with copper grease on the splines, slid into place. Finally, the cone, washer and axle nut went on and lunchtime called so I could check the torque setting for the axle nut. The recurring number on the internet was around 80Nm, or as my friends in the motor industry say, f-t.
Running the cables was very low stress, I ran the inner up the fork for the brake cable then fed the outer along it from the top. With a little nudging to align the outer with the hole in the fork it was soon out and the inner run. Then I did the same for the speedo cable and, to quote Robot of Scooterwest.com, put a smear of grease on the cable before running it down the outer. With a good amount of grease applied I put the speedo drive in - the correct way around - and added more grease to the plug that then fitted nicely and as I tightened it it rotated the hub. Win! The gear had successfully engaged with the axle. I was fortunate to have the crush washer for where the speedo outer goes into the hub so I inserted the outer as far as possible then checked that the inner was seated properly by rotating the hub and getting movement at the top of the cable. Time then to tighten everything down and recheck the axle rotated the speedo cable. All good.
Axle etc. in place.
Brake and speedo cables at the top of the fork.
Brake cable threaded up.
Speedo drive plug in place and tightened down.
End of the speedo cable in place.
Hub all buttoned up awaiting the cover for the nut.
Last edited by pigletpilot on Fri, 28 Feb 2020 04:28:20 +0000; edited 1 time