UTC

Addicted
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
Realize I'm being really self indulgent in this thread and am only at Day 4, so I'll try to move more quickly.
absolutely not, keep these posts going!
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
UTC quote
feb31st wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Realize I'm being really self indulgent in this thread and am only at Day 4, so I'll try to move more quickly.
Gopam concurs 😃🤘
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
SDG wrote:
gopam wrote:
kimbered wrote:
Hey goPam!
Quote:
Your streak is good!! VESPASO CAnnonball prepped scooters make it start to finish. I had them put on Michelin city grips front rear new tires. I never changed oil. Never had to top off oil.
The fact that you made it though safely, with little maintenance issues, your positive experience & positive attitude gives me motivation & encouragement for 2020.

Congrats on completing the Cannonball Run!
Thanks. I had fears that I pushed past to do cannonball. It was the hardest thing physically and mentally I've ever and the most rewarding.
I might of spoke too soon on the bike.
The bike is saying woah I did CB, can I get a checkup?

Maybe clutch / clutch drum issue? Have em take off the trans cover and look around.

Text me a video if you can.

SDG
MotoRichmond shop has the vespa now & they're going to call me with an update. They may not have time to assess or fix - due to Amerivespa booked service days already. Capt. Gary was nice to call me today to check in. I heard something rattling - I think like a ping pong lottery ball. So I'm wondering if it is a rock or metal piece. Vespa still rode like a champ to Richmond though.
If shop doesn't have time I'll see if anyone wants to open her up in a parking lot with me. Maybe we can get video then. Currently I'm still lying in bed awaiting my wife Sarah's arrival with Cannonball brain 😃
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
Day 1: my first meet up with Bill. We met up throughout the day, rode hard, and I was excited about getting to see him more. I guess that's my one disappointment with this trip.
This photo and description sums up much of what went wrong for me on the trip. Day one, relatively new spark plug falling apart. Thank you so much for lending me the 1/4" ratchet driver that I thought I had in my tool bag (I had two different 3/8" drives)

And the description of not getting to hang out more does it for me as well. I was truly looking forward to seeing everyone at all of the stops.

Your photo of the dirt road on Day two may be the exact spot where I screwed the trip and went down lightly, probably not much different than anyone else. But the hit on my shin was the perfect storm for me. It swelled up quickly and became so ugly and painful that the boys had no choice but to drop me off at the ER in Durango. My ride finished.

My disappointment is great but life goes on.

I am glad everyone is ok and moving home or to Amerivespa.

I am at work with my leg propped up. My doctor said it looked better yesterday than he was expecting and my walking is better. So maybe improvement is right around the corner.

Bill
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Here are the official 2018 Scooter Cannonball results per the official website. Congratulations everyone!
Well.....some people haven't been able to update their scores. I just updated my Day 10 this morning. Not sure if it is too late...cuz the organizers probably need to verify. This is of course... us riders lower on the rank list....aka not the winners. The trophy winners have been verified.

But we're winners on making it to the finishing line one way or another 😃
OP
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
feb31st wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Gopam concurs 😃🤘
You don't know how many people have been waiting on full reports from the risers. They've had to be satisfied with my passport efforts. Reports like yours are the closest most will ever get to riding a cannibal. They are also what inspires others to go for it done time in the future. If it hadn't been for the reports of riders in 2010 & 2012 I'd have never ridden one.

Keep it up.
@donovan avatar
UTC

250 GTS

@donovan avatar
250 GTS
UTC quote
Day +2
Big thanks to everyone the helped organize this years event. Every mile was EPIC.

I made it back to Charlotte last night after a "short" 331 mile day. Felt strange not making a turn every 2 miles, or checking my mirrors for single lights.

17 ran flawlessly and made it back to the barn intact. The headlight did burn out as soon as I rolled into the hood. That would be the only issue, besides cleaning out dust and tightening the exhaust for the the entire 4300 miles. Oh, and a cracked iPhone screen

A few quick reflections:

1. Our country is big and Beautiful. Anybody that talks shit about it needs to get out of their bubbles and experience it.

2. A 2008 Vespa 250 GTS (red) is an amazing machine. It will run all day on the flats at 75 and carry my big carcass over 10,000 ft passes without complaint.

3. I rode this year, my rookie year, unsupported. Only way to travel!

Thanks again for a great ride. I am definitely in for 2020.

I think this rivaled pulling into the finish line.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@miguelatf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie

Hooked
@miguelatf avatar
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
Day 2: Hit the road by 4:30 cuz I was still so jacked.

Made the fatal mistake of downing one of those lil Starbucks cans of espresso about 11:00 AM, thus kicking down my five year run of coffee sobriety.

Was excited about being the first dude to make it into the second town...only to receive a text from my roommate, who'd left an hour after me, telling me he'd arrived an hour earlier....

Thus ended any half ass plans to compete.

Still, for about an hour and a half, it seemed I had Death Valley all to myself.
There are so many great and inspiring and funny and dramatic posts in this thread. And so many great pictures. But, tdrake, two of the ones you posted just took my breath away -

The first one from Death Valley - with your scooter small and green in the lower right-hand corner and the vastness of the sky and the landscape in the the rest of the image - it's...amazing. Iconic.

The other one from your previous Death Valley post - of Death Valley at Sunset. You said "spent my whole life wanting to visit this place" ...

Now, just looking at your photo - and rereading your post again - I know I need to visit it too, somehow, someday.

I've taken the liberty of copying both your photos again and putting them into this post just so everyone can...enjoy them. Again. Your posts are and have been awesome for many reasons tdrake - thank you --- and all the other Cannonball riders and survivors and veterans - for enriching the lives and existences of all the rest of us.
tdrake's photo of Death Valley "all to myself"
tdrake's photo of Death Valley "all to myself"
tdrake's photo of Death Valley at sunset ..."spent my whole life wanting to visit this place"...
tdrake's photo of Death Valley at sunset ..."spent my whole life wanting to visit this place"...
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
outstanding results congrats to all participants
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
Well.....some people haven't been able to update their scores. I just updated my Day 10 this morning. Not sure if it is too late...cuz the organizers probably need to verify. This is of course... us riders lower on the rank list....aka not the winners. The trophy winners have been verified.
We're still looking for and accepting scores from the riders who finished.

Positions 1-15 are done and verified.
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
Going to head to Moto Richmond soon or if I miss it - going to the billiards room...I'm downloading my SD cards. For your enjoyment here are screen grabs from my sena 10c helmet cam of my first dirt fall on day 2. From riding to falling to what i landed on (rocks and dirt) to getting up to kill switch. I rode this entire dirt road - I was proud of myself on Day 2.
OP
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Ouch Pam
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Really great series of photos Pam. Too bad you had to fall to get them.
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
UTC quote
Day 1 - Time lapse

@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
Great video feb!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Gopam....btdt. Glad you were okay. Neither my wife or i can ride in the dirt worth a damn even though we have tens if thousands of hiway miles. Good job on the run!!!!
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
Going to head to Moto Richmond soon or if I miss it - going to the billiards room...I'm downloading my SD cards. For your enjoyment here are screen grabs from my sena 10c helmet cam of my first dirt fall on day 2. From riding to falling to what i landed on (rocks and dirt) to getting up to kill switch. I rode this entire dirt road - I was proud of myself on Day 2.
And this is why we wear the gear. You got up an got going again. I'm proud of you too. Great series of pics. Who was that that stopped behind you?
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
feb31st wrote:
Day 1 - Time lapse

Love these.
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
gopam wrote:
And this is why we wear the gear. You got up an got going again. I'm proud of you too. Great series of pics. Who was that that stopped behind you?
My gear totally saved me. After dirt fall #2 on that road my left hand was bruised but it was minor. My Right knee was a little swollen, again minor. It was the first time at a motel that I got ice --not for a drink-- but to ice my swollen body. I did and I was good as new for Day 3.
That is LM15 behind me. I navigate for us day 1 & day 2. Thanks Scott Taggart, the legend for fixing my GPS with the route. I love LM15 dearly. His BV 250 died later that Day 2 I think around 48 miles from the last gas station photo point. Blown piston I think ? He was out of commission. Rode with the support truck for awhile & then flew home.
Then I rode with Scooterista following her on her P200 sloppy joe. During this time my garmin died. So this directionally challenged rider def needed to follow someone.
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
Scooterista and I had long HOT days and got in after dark. She decided she needed to leave 5am or earlier to beat the heat. I needed the sleep & could only manage 6am wake up times (including time changed where we lost hours) & the support trucks left at 730am. I was not always ahead of the trucks...I tried to be.
So I rode/followed Eek520, Swiss miss, then me, Shanrocking behind me with SVHess in the rear. Father daughter hess/Swiss miss and Arizona couple 520eek/Arizona. By riding with various people I got to know them and it was grand. Very special incredible experience. Already thinking about 2020
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
feb31st wrote:
Day 1 - Time lapse
Excellent!

For those unaware . . How to Watch/Play YouTube Videos in Slow Motion.
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
UTC quote
Day 1 @ 500% Speed...

@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Gopam....btdt. Glad you were okay. Neither my wife or i can ride in the dirt worth a damn even though we have tens if thousands of hiway miles. Good job on the run!!!!
Pam, You did great in the sand. I know I was watching your back. Lots of great riders went down in that stuff. And they all got up an rode on. Even Bill, just not as far as everyone else. Great series of photos. It pretty much shows the whole SCB run in a few shots.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
feb31st wrote:
Day 1 @ 500% Speed...

Any chance you recorded all 10 days like this? Would be a great binge watch.
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Yes, I have all 10 days (with the exception of 30 minutes of uneventful scenery after the Lake Powell Ferry) - recorded start to finish in real time.

The GoPro with a 128GB card + USB battery pack did 8.5 hours of continuous video (1920 x 1080, 48 kHz). I will upload the rest of the days in the 500% format and then attempt to post the entire ride in real time (why not).
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
feb31st wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
Yes, I have all 10 days (with the exception of 30 minutes of uneventful scenery after the Lake Powell Ferry) - recorded start to finish in real time.

The GoPro with a 128GB card + USB battery pack did 8.5 hours of continuous video (1920 x 1080, 48 kHz). I will upload the rest of the days in the 500% format and then attempt to post the entire ride in real time (why not).
Excellent!

Might I suggest you create a separate thread with your videos as the subject.

I'll watch the whole damned thing!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
For some reason i cannot get any of tbe videos on mv t o down load.what am i doing wrong?.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
For some reason i cannot get any of tbe videos on mv t o down load.what am i doing wrong?.
Try signing on to MV with a different browser and/or make sure your browser's pop-up blocker is turned off.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Try signing on to MV with a different browser and/or make sure your browser's pop-up blocker is turned off.
Chrome won't allow the MV Youtube links. I refuse to fire up another browser just for videos. Better is if the poster also just provides the link in a form that the MV forum software won't bugger- up - just enclosing in brackets will do it, so then us Chrome users can copy'n'paste. Ashbrook does this - and very helpful it is too.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Chrome won't allow the MV Youtube links. I refuse to fire up another browser just for videos. Better is if the poster also just provides the link in a form that the MV forum software won't bugger- up - just enclosing in brackets will do it, so then us Chrome users can copy'n'paste. Ashbrook does this - and very helpful it is too.
Noted.

Thanks for the heads up.
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
UTC quote
Day 2 @ 500%

Link: https://youtu.be/q20Ejui6X0E

UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Thanks for the link!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Thanks for the link!
Yes indeed!
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
Day 1 not long after LM15 lost his aux gas can by being launched from hitting a big pothole....and we rounded a corner to find this Bull Cow looking a little miffed. We brake for Cows!! CANNONBALL !!

This GoPro camera angle does not do justice to the size of this huge cow....nor the annoyed..."I might charge you" look it had on his face.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Horns
I have to say that's pretty amazing.

I have no words to follow that.

I spy a DonkeiSkok sticker

Bill x
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Bull cow? City people!
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Bull cow? City people!
You thought that too eh?
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Bull cow? City people!
You thought that too eh?
Haha you mess with the cow you get the horns....wait a minute.

He was scary ok? Haha
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
Jet Peddler wrote:
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Bull cow? City people!
You thought that too eh?
Haha you mess with the cow you get the horns....wait a minute.

He was scary ok? Haha
Fair enough.
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
Lordy, totally sidelined by Amerivespa and the trip home, and now the last days of the CB are a blur and whir...but I ain't got many pics of the last three days anyway, as, well, as the Legend Scott Taggart once said "You seen one tree, you seen 'em all."

Which isn't entirely right: I was struck by the difference between Alabama, North Carolina and TN on one hand and Mississippi on the other. Mississippi is very Mississippi; 'bama, NC and TN look a lot, to me, like the Northeast: prosperous and well groomed.

In other words, the South surprised me, again, with its beauty.

I also again regret not having more time to get off the scoot and meet people, because Southerners truly possess a gift for warmth and humor and openness -- hospitality -- and I found each gas stop took increasingly longer cuz the clerk and costumer had to gab, and a bunch of the picture pull-offs led to conversations.

So, Day 8 I really hit my stride and when I saw an hour left to the hotel I stopped at a Waffle House for lunch just to extend the ride. Now, I've only heard of Waffle Houses so had no idea what to expect and still don't know if I happened into The Best Waffle House Ever or what, but I opened the door to the sounds of Liam Payne's "Strip That Thing" utterly blasting...I mean the speakers distorting blasting....

Now, you gotta pull up the song as you read the next paragraphs or this'll make no sense:

White, middle-aged waiter of completely nondescript description was clearing tables, singing along. Imagine Milton Waddams from Office Space.

White, middle-aged line-cook cut from the same white-bread mold, occasionally busting a subtle move....

I ordered a bowl of grease and the next song up was Come On Eileen, followed by some other dank, skanky hip-hop track, followed by Wagon Wheel, new Chris Stapleton....

I was at home among my brethren: the most stealthy middle aged hipsters on the planet!!

A 100 year old woman walked up to my table and said "that sure is a pretty motorcycle. Is that your motorcycle?"

And that was it, my peak euphoria for the trip, right there in a Waffle House in Alabama.

I may have wept a little. Just a little. It was just so awesome to be so surprised by life.

Of course by stopping over a lil longer I got soaked, again, by an insane afternoon shower...and riding in the rain soaked my air filter, turning some Utah dust (oops) into mud, so:

Day 9: wasted an hour in some Burger King parking lot cleaning my air filter....

But screw the air filter: Strip That Down for me, Alabama; you stole my heart big time.

I love this country. Screw the news and politics; we're a big, beautiful, crazy country. I am wedded to thee, America, in sickness and in health, and I am grateful for how my little Vespa has gotten me outside of my restrained lil city limits to be reminded of all that, and how this trip just amped up that experience: sending my skittering across the hidden regions on 4,000 miles of hard-earned love.
Blueridge Parkway...so many turns.  Too many turns...?
Blueridge Parkway...so many turns. Too many turns...?
Glimpse of Dabinche's magical code....
Glimpse of Dabinche's magical code....
Just some of the great artwork to be found in the galleries of a North Carolina quickiemart toilet.  ...actually, this may have also been the cleanest public bathroom I've seen this side of the Atlantic.
Just some of the great artwork to be found in the galleries of a North Carolina quickiemart toilet. ...actually, this may have also been the cleanest public bathroom I've seen this side of the Atlantic.
Speaking of toilets, it occurred to me I shoulda done a series of shots entitled "Places I Pissed".
Speaking of toilets, it occurred to me I shoulda done a series of shots entitled "Places I Pissed".
Somewhere in the heart of America.
Somewhere in the heart of America.
⚠️ Last edited by tdrake on UTC; edited 1 time
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1158s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0947s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]