@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Time for a bump.

The detailed maps are coming out now.

It looks like we are in for quite a ride.

Day 3 runs through southern Utah, including Zion National Park.

This photo is of Moki Dugway, near the end of the day, where we will get bonus points for a photograph.

I won't mind stopping for a couple of minutes here.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rwd11954 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 324
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Hooked
@rwd11954 avatar
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 324
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Almost enough to entire me to do it.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
rwd11954 wrote:
Almost enough to entice me to do it.
You should ride!
@andythebuilder avatar
UTC

Addicted
250 gts, nitroed zip 69cc " the teenager", 200 now 300 lc zip "all grown up"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 721
Location: Cheshire
 
Addicted
@andythebuilder avatar
250 gts, nitroed zip 69cc " the teenager", 200 now 300 lc zip "all grown up"
Joined: UTC
Posts: 721
Location: Cheshire
UTC quote
Hi all,
Well I'm in,
George AKA motovista invited me along to this amerivestival two years ago.
I'm just about ready to find a shipping agent for my scoot, subject to shipping costs I will see you all with my scooter pond side.
If all goes Pete tongue, I'll build a scooter your side.
Any ways the gauntlet glove is down be prepared 🛵

Cheers

ATB
@rwd11954 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 324
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Hooked
@rwd11954 avatar
2020 Yamaha XMax, 2013 Vespa GTS300 Super, 2003 Stella, 1980 Vespa P200E
Joined: UTC
Posts: 324
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
rwd11954 wrote:
Almost enough to entice me to do it.
You should ride!
Too expensive for this year. Doing Route 66 by plane/car in September/ October.
OP
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8870
Location: Knoxville, TN
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8870
Location: Knoxville, TN
UTC quote
Hmm, I may end up not riding in the 2018 cannonball after all. Seems the opportunity to go to Rome arriving April 28 has come up. I'm thinking spending the funds to explore Italy by scooter instead.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
Done with the big stuff...

I had a pretty invigorating ride today and realized I've got a Cannonball bike I'm pretty happy with. The motor makes decent power and I've got most of the components figured out. This is going to be quite a ride.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Done with the big stuff...

I had a pretty invigorating ride today and realized I've got a Cannonball bike I'm pretty happy with. The motor makes decent power and I've got most of the components figured out. This is going to be quite a ride.
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
 
Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Hey, some of us have really nice lawns.

I still need to make my Big Ass Parts Order...actually, I still need to do a lot of stuff. When is this thing, anyway?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Hey, some of us have really nice lawns.

I still need to make my Big Ass Parts Order...actually, I still need to do a lot of stuff. When is this thing, anyway?
Today is day four. I wondered where you are.
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
 
Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
tdrake wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Hey, some of us have really nice lawns.

I still need to make my Big Ass Parts Order...actually, I still need to do a lot of stuff. When is this thing, anyway?
Today is day four. I wondered where you are.
I was here , and it was awesome. But now I ain't and, yeah, time to get my shite togetherish.

Did manage to get my check off to Doug for the sagwagon....
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Not sure I would go there. It handily beat you to the finish line last time.
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3165
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
 
Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3165
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
UTC quote
I'm really sad that it looks like I can't make this one. I'll be keeping track and be on call for vintage folks!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Not sure I would go there. It handily beat you to the finish line last time.
Yep, you did finish two places ahead of me once. I don't remember what happened the other time. Maybe you can remind me....
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Not sure I would go there. It handily beat you to the finish line last time.
Yep, you did finish two places ahead of me once. I don't remember what happened the other time. Maybe you can remind me....
No problem.

Rocket broke.

Bill
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1999
Location: Brentwood, TN
 
Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1999
Location: Brentwood, TN
UTC quote
Old dudes talking trash. Love it. Laughing emoticon
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
Old dudes talking trash. Love it. Laughing emoticon
Not really too trashy. It is a healthy competition that I enjoy.

And thank you Will for picking me up on day nine, then giving me a smooth, comfortable ride that last day.

That was a bad day, except for the company.

Bill
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2380
Location: St. Pete, Fla
 
Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2380
Location: St. Pete, Fla
UTC quote
Scooterraton
Quote:
I'm really sad that it looks like I can't make this one. I'll be keeping track and be on call for vintage folks!
See it ain't so!!!!! Now who is going to carry the trash???
WLeuthold wrote:
TN_Sooner wrote:
Old dudes talking trash. Love it. Laughing emoticon
Not really too trashy. It is a healthy competition that I enjoy.
And thank you Will for picking me up on day nine, then giving me a smooth, comfortable ride that last day.
That was a bad day, except for the company.
Bill
I spent two happy days in Will's luxury truck after hitting the "bear". It was a little difficult to reach down and turn up the seat heater while you guys were freezing your asses off. And Will was great company and I was really glad to be there and also thank him for throwing my ass out and he and my wife making me get back in the rxxx sooner than I thought I should.
UTC

Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 146
Location: BayArea
 
Hooked
Joined: UTC
Posts: 146
Location: BayArea
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Not sure I would go there. It handily beat you to the finish line last time.
Yep, you did finish two places ahead of me once. I don't remember what happened the other time. Maybe you can remind me....
No problem.

Rocket broke.

Bill
Don't worry you both will be smelling my farts.
@ks7877 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2337
Location: So Cal
 
Ossessionato
@ks7877 avatar
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2337
Location: So Cal
UTC quote
DaBinChe wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
Motovista wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
I haven't ridden my Cannonball scooter in almost two years.

Sitting in Seattle, waiting for me to pick it up and head south.

I guess it is OK, dead stock and all.

Fast enough for me the way it came off the assembly line in Pontedera.

Bill
If I had a bike like that, I wouldn't ride it much either. I'd be too busy yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Not sure I would go there. It handily beat you to the finish line last time.
Yep, you did finish two places ahead of me once. I don't remember what happened the other time. Maybe you can remind me....
No problem.

Rocket broke.

Bill
Don't worry you both will be smelling my farts.
Laughing emoticon
TN_Sooner wrote:
[Scooter geeks] talking trash. Love it. Laughing emoticon
+1
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1999
Location: Brentwood, TN
 
Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1999
Location: Brentwood, TN
UTC quote
Re: Scooterraton
lostboater wrote:
I spent two happy days in Will's luxury truck after hitting the "bear".
I thought this was you Ken when I initially read it...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-man-happy-alive-bear-attack-leaves-41/story?id=52276390
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
 
Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
UTC quote
DaBinChe wrote:
Don't worry you both will be smelling my farts.
Maybe better put that on your "roommate wanted" profile.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
tdrake wrote:
DaBinChe wrote:
Don't worry you both will be smelling my farts.
Maybe better put that on your "roommate wanted" profile.
or Tinder profile. Then again, if you had a working Tinder profile, you'd need a bigger scooter, because there's just no room on a moped to take anybody home.

I'm glad you're back Binh. This is going to be a good one.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2380
Location: St. Pete, Fla
 
Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2380
Location: St. Pete, Fla
UTC quote
I just came back from NC where Big Red,my Cannonball scooter, is and worked with my brother, who is riding it in this Cannonball, on the scooter and the trailer.

So, I decided last night to start checking the route.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad emoticon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is without a doubt will be the hardest Cannonball ever run. Looonnng days, lots of dirt or mud depending on the weather. The riders on classics and 150's will be hero's on this one. I foresee lots of broken parts due to the roads.

Still not sure if I am going to ride or do support on this one, but it sure pushes me to the support idea.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
Day 9 looks particularly torturous.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5221
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Day 9 looks particularly torturous.
Cherohala Skyway and most of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Pure Hell.
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 633
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
 
Addicted
@feb31st avatar
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech
Joined: UTC
Posts: 633
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I've started planning my trip to Morro Bay for the CB2018 start. I'm not doing the ride but want to come participate the day before and the day of. Is there a specific area of Morro Bay that people will be staying/congregating May 24/25?
There will be a start party Friday night, May 25th at the The Libertine Pub - if I/we can nab a sponsor a three, the tacos and beer will be a free!
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1669
Location: LOS ANGELES
 
Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1669
Location: LOS ANGELES
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
I just came back from NC where Big Red,my Cannonball scooter, is and worked with my brother, who is riding it in this Cannonball, on the scooter and the trailer.

So, I decided last night to start checking the route.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad emoticon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is without a doubt will be the hardest Cannonball ever run. Looonnng days, lots of dirt or mud depending on the weather. The riders on classics and 150's will be hero's on this one. I foresee lots of broken parts due to the roads.

Still not sure if I am going to ride or do support on this one, but it sure pushes me to the support idea.
Leading up to this, my first attempt at cannonball...there are days I'm pumped and excited and there are days I'm gathering up the courage. And then I see this post. So now I'm back to trying to gather courage.
I've been looking at the maps on my iPhone/google maps & I can't see how to view dirt roads.

"Hardest Cannonball" & "Lot's of mud" has got me concerned for my first cannonball attempt.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2380
Location: St. Pete, Fla
 
Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2380
Location: St. Pete, Fla
UTC quote
Don't let me scare you off. There are challenging legs, but you can avoid them. You won't win but it still counts. For your first Cannonball just concentrate on finishing.☺️
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
"Hardest Cannonball" & "Lot's of mud" has got me concerned for my first cannonball attempt.
For most people who cross the US on a motorcycle, this would be a four or five day ride. We're doing it in ten. There are a lot of support vehicles, and the people involved are pretty helpful. For a modern 200cc scooter, going this far in ten days really isn't much of a feat, and due to the popularity of the GT200, there will likely be anything you need at hand if something were to go awry. If you think this will be fun, you're right. If you think it will be difficult, fraught with hardship and peril lurking just around every bend in the road, you are likely going to be a trifle let down.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
I have never dremeled so much plastic in my life. But the end is in sight.

Today I had one of those things go wrong that I never heard of before, and am glad it chose to occur now and not one morning during the SCB. I started the bike and it wouldn't shut off. I couldn't turn the key off. The plastic switch at the back of the ignition assembly was stuck in the metal tube, which had rusted and corroded. I had to break the swtich out of there in pieces, clean the tube as best I could, and then put in a new switch and tumbler. The key was doing that weird thing Vespa keys do where the metal breaks away from the rubber handle, so it was just a matter of time before that broke too. So I rekeyed my bike. I have the malossi cdi, so I was able to use the keys and tumblers from an ET2/LX50, and I now have an extra tumbler in case something happens to the ignition in the future. A total of five parts were used in the repair, only one of which I normally take with me. Fortunately, it was broken in the on position, so if I had been running the SCB, I would have been able to continue, and just disconnected the battery at night to shut the bike off. But my glove compartment wouldn't close.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5707
Location: Santa Cruz California
UTC quote
Motovista. It's amazing to me that this happened to your key. It seems like such an obscure part to break. Do you have other keys dangling from your keychain? I'm equally astonished that you'd carry such spare parts with you. You must be truly prepared for any eventuality. i reviewed past threads about on-the-road toolkits. Your preparation is starkly-contrasted with some other respected MV long-distance riders that carry little more than a cell phone. Personally, I'm in your camp. i can't be overly prepared to fix the things I can and have a backup plan to deal with those things I can't. Ms Miguel says it's one of the curses of being an engineer.

Also, you mentioned you'd be able to shut the bike if by disconnecting the battery. I would have thought the bike would continue to run without the battery connected. No? You could always shut it off with the safety switch on the handlebars tho.

Best Miguel
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
I could cut the bike off with the kill switch, but it was like having the ignition in the on position. My waterpump and the lights were still on.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
 
World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Joined: UTC
Posts: 29304
UTC quote
GOPAM do it do it do it!!!
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4274
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
 
Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4274
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
UTC quote
Motovista: heck, just keep it full of gas and keep going!

Good luck on your ride!
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22480
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22480
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Motovista: heck, just keep it full of gas and keep going!

Good luck on your ride!
don't tempt him, he might just put a trailer behind it and have a super LARGE gas tank. Laughing emoticon Razz emoticon
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
Joined: UTC
Posts: 20546
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
 
eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
Joined: UTC
Posts: 20546
Location: South East Great England of Britishland
UTC quote
Clunk
I'm going to regret this.

Any one need a support driver ?

Bill x
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8984
Location: Watts, Cherokee Nation
UTC quote
I guess I'll hook it up and see what happens...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
 
Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2981
Location: Moscow, Idaho
UTC quote
Re: Clunk
Bill Dog wrote:
I'm going to regret this.

Any one need a support driver ?

Bill x
Buy something cheap out West and sell it back East!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0128s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]