Bought a Stella
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 am quote
So, if this is a bad thing then it's totally not my fault. If it's cool, then it was completely intentional and you can all be jealous.

The local Chinese scooter dealer that I bought my first ride from got ahold of me last week to come look at a bike. He said it was an old Stella that he took in from a kid who was moving and just wanted to get rid of it. He thought it might make a nice parts bike for my '79 P200E.

Well, the first thing that I noticed is that it had been painted Ford engine block blue with a brush and a roller. Yeah ... not a deal breaker for parts, though. The next thing I noticed is that it wouldn't start. Yeah ... maybe a deal breaker. It wasn't stuck, though. We pulled the shroud off and the NEXT thing I see is a 4T engine.

Just out of curiosity, we opened the carb and juiced it a little. It fired right up. It actually sounded good. Until it stopped, of course.

So, here I am looking at a bike and ... wait ... the odometer says 670. Literally less than 700 miles on the bike. He showed me the title. The kid was the original owner. I have the 2012 title from the dealer where it was purchased new with the kid's name on it. I told Jason that even with low miles I couldn't justify buying a bike with crap paint and very few parts that I can actually use. I have plenty of projects.

I asked him how much he had into it. He said he gave the kid $200 for it and I could have it for $250.

So now I can't not buy it. I brought the carb home Saturday and pulled it apart. I even did some polishing on the intake tube. It was an awful casting. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Yesterday I put the carb back on and she fired right up. I rode it around the parking lot and the cables felt good. Even the neutral light works. I put insurance on it today and hopefully a plate is today or tomorrow.

So now I have a four stroke Stella in the herd. I have all kinds of curiosities now. What kind of mileage will I get compared to my Chinese 150 with the CVT? How fast will the Genuine 150 with four gears push me? Will I like it so much that I decide not to resell it and turn a profit (the plan as it stands)?

Thoughts?
Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 am quote
$250 for a running scooter...you suck.

Seriously...nice score.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:25 am quote
Jealous.
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 am quote
That's a very good find. You're lucky to get it for that price and maybe luckier if LML start making scooters and parts again. They were sold but the new owners said they would get scooters back on the road again. SIP still has a large selection of parts for 4t Stars and you should be OK if something drastic happens in the short time. I've heard they are mostly solid...give and take a few issues. Nothing like the crank situation of the mid 2000's 2t Stella.

The money saved maybe can get one of these for the scooter.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/engine+lml+200cc+4stroke+_21000010

Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am quote
ScooterRaton wrote:
$250 for a running scooter...you suck.

Seriously...nice score.
That's what I was hoping.
stickyfrog wrote:
Jealous.
rowdyc wrote:
That's a very good find. You're lucky to get it for that price and maybe luckier if LML start making scooters and parts again. They were sold but the new owners said they would get scooters back on the road again. SIP still has a large selection of parts for 4t Stars and you should be OK if something drastic happens in the short time. I've heard they are mostly solid...give and take a few issues. Nothing like the crank situation of the mid 2000's 2t Stella.

The money saved maybe can get one of these for the scooter.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/engine+lml+200cc+4stroke+_21000010

That looks sweet, but I already have one of these sitting in the workshop :

Vespa Granturismo 200
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:27 pm quote
Spare parts? Uh..... probably not much. The Stella is PX based, and you got the 4 stroke variant.... though the fork (with the disc brake) is a VERY nice upgrade to the P200.

But you got it to run, so you got that going for you.

Not bad... I'd get the title squared away, ride it a bit, and then just flip the little ugly bugger. Unless you really want to keep it around.

Oh... pics or it didn't happen!
Ossessionato
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 61 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 86 & 96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:11 pm quote
A buddy has one and itís been a reliable commuter for years. Only problem he had was he added a stronger clutch for the 165 kit. Clutch cover and plunger couldnít take the springs and kept breaking. A few case splits later he went back to stock and itís more than strong enough.
Hooked
1978 MotoVespa 160GT, 2009 LML Star 150 2T (Stella), 1961 Lambretta S2, 1962 Lambretta S3, 1964 Lambretta J100
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 am quote
Quote:
the odometer says 670. Literally less than 700 miles on the bike.
I bet the speedo cable broke
Quote:
maybe luckier if LML start making scooters and parts again. They were sold but the new owners said they would get scooters back on the road again.
There are no new owners - the offer was refused by the administrators as being too low, and the assets are being liquidated.

Still, a great buy for $250 - plenty of parts there, and the unique stuff (i.e. non-PX) such as the 4T engine will only go up in value when people need to get hold of parts which are NLA.
Addicted
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 am quote
Insurance and tags for it yesterday and it comes home tonight. Then the tinkering begins.

Man, I read the specs ... 140mpg? Really? I'll believe that when I see it. I read a review and the writer was getting consistently 100mpg, though. That sure beats the 50-60 I get with the P.

I'm really torn. We don't need four bikes. I'll probably wind up selling one.

This is going to be hard.
Hooked
P200E
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:38 am quote
$250 and it's not even stolen---sweet! Can't be more than five years old.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:55 am quote
ditch the Chinese scooter and keep it!
Addicted
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:00 am quote
sdjohn wrote:
ditch the Chinese scooter and keep it!
Not a chance. That little Chinese bike is a blast to ride and with just over 6K miles it feels just broken in. She's going to stay in the stable for a good long time.

I cleaned up the Stella last night and rode a little. Everything feels ... well ... new. Because it is. I'm going to tune everything and see what kind of mileage I get with it, and if it winds up being as good a scoot as it seems ...

I'm thinking of selling the P.

Seriously, this bike is as fast, far better mileage (presumably), more than 30 years newer, disc brake, four stroke, electric start ... there are lots of advantages. And as far as resale value, the P is probably my best bet. I could get out of it enough to cover my expenses and pay for the Stella and some accessories.

I have a lot to think about.

Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 x2 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:18 am quote
Do you need to get rid of one soon? That P is so gorgeous....

Unless you need the dough AND love the little Buddy as well, how about procrastination as a mid term solution while you see how this thing suits you for a season? Also track down & sift through the numerous posts made by http://modernvespa.com/members/neurotic-hapi-snak to see what some of issues he had owning one were. He liked it when it was running.
Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:19 am quote
Congrats on the steal. Just have in mind that LML is officially dead and parts will be harder to come by in the future...

https://www.scooterlab.uk/the-end-of-the-road-for-lml-as-bankers-call-time-news-2/
Addicted
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:39 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
Do you need to get rid of one soon? That P is so gorgeous....

Unless you need the dough AND love the little Buddy as well, how about procrastination as a mid term solution while you see how this thing suits you for a season? Also track down & sift through the numerous posts made by http://modernvespa.com/members/neurotic-hapi-snak to see what some of issues he had owning one were. He liked it when it was running.
I know. Iím considering putting the P in storage. I love the bike, but from a practicality standpoint itís the one that should go. Thanks for the compliment. Iíve done a lot with it in the time Iíve had it.

I planned on flipping the Stella, but it looks like itís going to be a great bike.

I did some tweaking and adjusting last night. The idle is a little rough, but once you get it up and going it smooths right out. I put some Seafoam in the tank last night and drove it around the block. When I hit fourth I looked down and the speedo read 60. Everything seems smooth and tight. As it should with the few miles it has.

Iím going to give it some time, but two things lead me to believe that either the P goes in storage or gets sold. We have a two stall garage that houses two cars, four and a half scooters, six bikes, the lawnmower, snowblower and in the winter all of our patio furniture and accessories. Space is a valuable commodity.

The other is money. All of the scoots have to be licensed and insured. It adds up.

The Buddy is my wifeís bike, and itís great. It suits her perfectly. That one stays. I really love the Chinese bike. It was my first scooter and we have a history.

Lots to think about.
Addicted
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm quote
Done and done!
So, a second cleaning of the carb internals, a new fuel filter and replacing whatever was in the tank with fresh premium and she purrs like a kitten. It's a nice sounding bike.

I took her around the block and everything feels good, although riding in the blowing snow at 29 degrees I didn't really get a good feel for things. Soon ... very soon.
Addicted
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:03 am quote
So, anyway ... yesterday was the first day that I had any real decent riding weather since the last tweak. I took the Stella out for a short ride just to mess with the idle and to open her up a bit.

Everything feels really good, except I need to adjust the clutch a little. (this is important) On my way back, I was turning right onto 28th Street from Division and I got behind a guy I recognized. He drives a really nice mid '90s Corvette. I'm not a big fan of the style, but it's a really pretty dark green with a tan top. It's a pretty car. So, we turned the corner and I couldn't keep up because ... well ... Corvette/scooter. Things are just sometimes that way. At the next intersection I decided to make the left turn so I could pull up beside him. I couldn't get his attention before the light turned green. Traffic begins to move and I pull the clutch to put it in 1st and ... no clutch.

Sometimes cables break. The clutch is usually the first to go. So, traffic is moving, I have the flashing yellow turn light, so I know I have 30 seconds for a plan B.

Plan B on a scooter usually involves a leisurely stroll pushing said scooter.

So, the hill on my street is unavoidable, and usually not a problem until you quadruple your weight. I got my day's worth of cardio in and made it home to find that the cable hadn't actually broken, but rather the adjustment at the end had slipped. So, just an adjustment. It's one of these stupid things :

I hate them.

I had some daylight left, so I decided to get the Vespa out. I haven't ridden it in quite a while. It reminded me what a great bike it is.

So, looking at the three bikes I ride side by side, I think I've decided to get the Stella up and running and sell it. I'll get more cash for it than the ZNEN, and the thing is, I really like the ZNEN. If I want wheelies and smashing gears and the smell of oil I have the Vespa. And it's the real deal. The Stella just looks like one. (I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on tv.) The ZNEN is comfortable, twist and go and just easy to ride. If I sell it, I give that up. I have two good bikes I ride for different reasons. I'm going to keep it that way. And I have no emotional attachment to the Stella. I won't miss it. The ZNEN was our first bike, my wife and I both tested on it, it's been camping with us and I have over 6000 (mostly) good miles on it. And I know the bike. There's a lot to be said for that.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 x2 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:03 pm quote
Good story, good ending. Makes sense.
I was afraid you were gonna somehow smack into that Corvette when you started talking about no more clutch
Mr , meet Mr
Molto Verboso
2005 PX150 In a Love-Hate Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 pm quote
You might find it interesting that that Buddy is made by Taiwanese company PGO. At one point, Piaggio had a joint venture in Taiwan. When the relationship ended, the Taiwanese company reorgíd itself as ĎPGOí, PiaGgiO.
Addicted
Fri May 25, 2018 8:20 am quote
Turns out it wasnít an adjustment.

I adjusted, and adjusted, and adjusted. Still nothing. Dropping it into gear launehed the bike out from under me.

Talking to some people I was told that after sitting the clutch plates can seize up, and that I should just get it rolling and drop it in first. You know, ride it around a bit rolling it through the gears without the clutch. Sometimes they free themselves up.

So, thatís what I did. I went up and down the street for about ten minutes doing that. I canít believe how well it was running, but no clutch action. I was sitting in the driveway with it idling just thinking about what I was going to do when there was a terrible crash and a sound like a shopping cart stuck in a cement mixer. Mind you it was still running, but I hit the kill switch and everything was eerily quiet. I spent the next minute or so just thinking. When I stood up to kick it over it felt like the kick lever was no longer attached to anything.

Now, I love working on stuff, but I almost turned this bike down because I really donít need another project. I figured if it was the clutch it probably needed to be replaced at this point. So we loaded it on the truck and took it in to the shop. That was three weeks ago.

I called this week. The tech said, ďOh, we were just talking about you.Ē

Nothing good ever comes out of a conversation that starts like that. This is apparently no exception.

He said he didnít have all the info, but the motor may be shot. That was the indication. I have no ieda what could have happened, but Iíll find out soon enough.
Hooked
P200 (sold) *Elite 250 *Buddy 161 *125cc Passport *Trail 90 *K-Pipe 125

Fri May 25, 2018 9:36 am quote
"Buy a Stella they said, it'll be fun they said!"

If we were in the Modern forum I'd have to recommend that you file suit against the dealer.

Addicted
Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 am quote
dasscooter wrote:
"Buy a Stella they said, it'll be fun they said!"

If we were in the Modern forum I'd have to recommend that you file suit against the dealer.

Nah. The dealer is also a friend. He bought it sight unseen and called to ask if I was interested. Iím actually afraid to tell him. Heís going to feel awful about the whole deal.

Worst case, I still have that wrecked Granturismo with the 200cc driveline. Itís pussible the Stella could be a retrofit. Itíd be cool, really. Think about it ... a 200cc water cooled twist and go Stella.

What could possibly go wrong?
Molto Verboso

Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 am quote
If the cases havenít actually been split yet, thereís no way of knowing whatís going on. It might not be all that bad.
Addicted
Fri May 25, 2018 10:28 am quote
Yeah, Iím not sure exactly how far theyíve gotten into it. Iíll have to call them back. Even if itís a couple hundred bucks Iím still way money ahead.
Addicted
Viet-bodge
Fri May 25, 2018 2:10 pm quote
seamus26 wrote:
He said he didnít have all the info, but the motor may be shot. That was the indication. I have no ieda what could have happened, but Iíll find out soon enough.
seamus26,
Silly question: Is your mechanic familiar with Stellas? 'Cuz it sounds to me like your clutch broke. The kick start doesn't connect to the engine unless the clutch is engaged. A kerploded clutch would make the racket you described.

Best,
-Slashy
Addicted
Thu May 31, 2018 9:23 am quote
GoSlash27 wrote:
seamus26 wrote:
seamus26,
Silly question: Is your mechanic familiar with Stellas? 'Cuz it sounds to me like your clutch broke. The kick start doesn't connect to the engine unless the clutch is engaged. A kerploded clutch would make the racket you described.

Best,
-Slashy
That's exactly what I was hoping; it's the same thing I was thinking.

I haven't heard back from them. I should call them today.

And yes, they are the service techs that did all of the repairs and maintenance for the Genuine dealer just down the street. Having said that, they SHOULD know what they are talking about.
Addicted
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 am quote
Sheís back. I went up to Rapid Cycle and picked her up last night. Hereís what happened.

On April 30th I dropped it off with them and told them I though the clutch was bad. They said it would probably be a week and a half or so before they could look at it. I told them that was fine. Before I took it up there I had looked through the clutch rebuild procedure. It looks like itís a couple of hours with the right tools (a couple of which I donít have) and I figured it would be well worth my time and trouble to have them do it.

Fast forward a month. They called me back to tell me that the news was much worse. They thought the engine might be shot. At that point I was skeptical because I knew exactly how well it was running when I hit the kill switch. There was no indication that anything was wrong with the engine.

A week later they called me back to tell me that because they would have to tear the entire engine apart to get to the clutch the repairs would probably exceed the value of the bike. Really? This told me that they simply didnít want to do the work.

Last night we drove up there to pick it up. I paid them $30 for their ďdiagnosisĒ and then they pulled the bike out and gave me the bag of parts that they took off and had failed to put back on.

The thing is, if you remove the back wheel and drop the rear shock, the clutch is all under the clutch cover. The part that they had removed were from the opposite side.

So, Iím going to buy a clutch compressor and the castellated nut socket and start tearing into it. Shouldnít be all that bad, really. It just that I didnít need another ďprojectĒ. I have enough trouble getting to other projects that are more immediate.
Molto Verboso

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 am quote
I hope you got everything they removed, though small parts are easy and cheap to replace.

Itís obvious this shop knows absolutely zero about these bikes and shouldíve never said they could work on it in the first place.

Given that lack of judgement, Iíd probably think twice before having their mechanic work on anything I owned.
Ossessionato
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:20 am quote
What was the name of the shop?

Not that I'd ever take a bike there anyway, but I think that naming & shaming is as important as praising.
Addicted
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 am quote
Rapid Cycle here in Grand Rapids.

The funny thing is, they are the shop that the Genuine Dealer used to service their bikes.

Iíve never used social media to negatively review a business, but Iím considering it in this case.
Molto Verboso

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 am quote
Instead of shaming on social media, you ought to simply let Genuine know the whole story.

This isnít doing doing them any favors.
Addicted
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 am quote
pdxjim wrote:
Instead of shaming on social media, you ought to simply let Genuine know the whole story.

This isnít doing doing them any favors.
I would, except for the fact that the dealer is no longer a Genuine dealer. They are actually a camper dealer that also sold Genuine scooters. Itís actually the place that we bought my wifeís Buddy 170i. They got out of scooter sales shortly after we bought it.

Iím planning on selling the Stella when Iím done with it. It should make a great bike for someone. I had hoped to have it sold already, though. Such is life, eh?
Addicted
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am quote
Hey, remember when I bought that Stella?

So, last night I had a few minutes and decided to work on it again. Seriously, itís been hanging in the back of the garage this whole time.

Anyhow, I finished pulling off the clutch cover ... well, sort of.

Iím sure the clutch is the problem. When I broke the seal, bits and pieces fell out.

My problem is this. Take a look.

I canít remove the cover because the top two bosses are behind a flange that seems to be what the rest of the scooter is built around.

I know this is something simple, but any advice would be super helpful. I know Iím really close to having this back on the road once I get the old clutch out.

Thanks!
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:37 am quote
https://youtu.be/8kZUTHeaWag?t=111
Ossessionato
PX200, Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:07 pm quote
Love practical videos like that. Makes it all look so easy. I flounder through everything. Makes me want to go work on the scoot. Music is cool too.
Addicted
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 pm quote
Thanks for the video. I did not remove the brakes, but check the vid at 2:30. The flange thatís in my way simply lifts up and out.

Iíll have to spend a little more time underneath.
Addicted
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 pm quote
Ok, so I got the clutch cover off. That was kind of a noob issue. There was one bolt I missed.

Anyway, after the chunks stopped falling out, this is what I'm left with.

To me it looks like catastrophic failure. All sorts of clutch discs and things are hanging loosely inside, but refuse to come out. Those pieces that did come out look totally knackered and the inside of the case looks to be full of metal pieces. None of the pieces appear to be gear teeth, so I may be ahead of the game on that.

I've never replaced a clutch, but common sense says the whole assembly needs replacement.

Recommendations and help greatly appreciated.
Style Maven
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:28 pm quote

This special nut holding the rest of the clutch still on needs to be removed. Sometimes it seems impossible when the teeth are chewed up, but an impact gun and this special tool will get it done. It's a straight shaft w/ a fat woodruff key, so no taper to fight once the nut is out of the way.

Mercato has it here: http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Factory-Tools/T-30627
Ossessionato
79 P200E, 62 Allstate, 2008 Stella
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:33 pm quote
Hey Seamus,

I don't have much about what type, etc, to recommend, but it's worth checking out this to see how all the pieces fit together. Good luck. I'll be following...

http://www.scootermercato.com/Garage/Tech-Tips/Large-Frame-Clutch-Rebuild

http://www.scootermercato.com/Garage/Tech-Tips/Clutch-Cover-Rebuild
Addicted
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 am quote
Thanks for the replies.I will order one of those tools right away.

My original plan for this bike was to get it running and selling it. The more I look at it, though, the more I'm inclined to keep it. The odometer still reads under 700 miles and even the paint on the exhaust looks new. I don't know the history, but when I'm done it will be a Stella with (at least) a new clutch, right?
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern 12Next
[ Time: 0.0696s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0318s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]