Bought a Stella
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:25 am quote
Clutch tool ordered!

(Amazon makes buying stuff waaaay too easy. )
Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:12 am quote
Seamus, is the push plate there, along with the other ďcrapĒ that fell out when you opened up the cover?? If not, it probably made its way into the gearbox. This means youíll have to split the engine. I hope itís not the case...

Addicted
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T / 2009 Aprilia Sportcity One 50
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:00 am quote
SaFiS wrote:
Seamus, is the push plate there, along with the other ďcrapĒ that fell out when you opened up the cover?? If not, it probably made its way into the gearbox. This means youíll have to split the engine. I hope itís not the case...
Nope. Looks like that was all there. I was actually sitting in the driveway when it all let loose. There wasnít a lot of opportunity to sling things around much.

Just pipe dreaming here, but if all goes well I should simply be able to clean out everything and install a whole new clutch, am I right? From what I can see it takes the same clutch as the large frame Vespas, correct?
Hooked
2005 Vespa GT200L
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 am quote
watching with interest as I am in the market for a Stella myself. A good running Vespa with that styling is not easy to find or afford. But the Stellas are more in my price range. Hope you get yours going soon(and do let me know if you decide to sell it). Good luck with the repair! Mike
Ossessionato
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:35 pm quote
dodger, let me know if you are coming to the Charlotte NC area anytime soon. I know of a 2003 Stella for sale, running with title (Original owner), less than 6k miles for around $900
Hooked
2005 Vespa GT200L
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:55 pm quote
No plans to come that way any time soon. I have a line on a Vespa LX150 with several options on it. Waiting to see what kind of trade deal he is going to do for my current scoot as he wants it. Thanks for the heads up though. Mike
Addicted
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:25 pm quote
V oodoo wrote:

This special nut holding the rest of the clutch still on needs to be removed. Sometimes it seems impossible when the teeth are chewed up, but an impact gun and this special tool will get it done. It's a straight shaft w/ a fat woodruff key, so no taper to fight once the nut is out of the way.

Mercato has it here: http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Factory-Tools/T-30627
Follow Voodoo's advice here - remove that castle nut and the rest of the clutch will come out. What you can see is the base plate, with machined cups for the springs. after that there are clutch + metal plates. Looks like the large circlip broke or came loose/undone, and the whole unit failed. Based on how chewed up all those bits are, it happened at speed and you may have bits of metal that made it down into your main gear stack, which is not good...

For changing out, I'd lean toward a whole new unit. Cosa-2 is one option, which uses a differnt spring setup for smoother action. OR upgrade to a Pinasco or BGM which make "Super Strong" versions
Addicted
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 am quote
GeekLion wrote:
V oodoo wrote:
This special nut holding the rest of the clutch still on needs to be removed. Sometimes it seems impossible when the teeth are chewed up, but an impact gun and this special tool will get it done. It's a straight shaft w/ a fat woodruff key, so no taper to fight once the nut is out of the way.
Follow Voodoo's advice here - remove that castle nut and the rest of the clutch will come out. What you can see is the base plate, with machined cups for the springs. after that there are clutch + metal plates. Looks like the large circlip broke or came loose/undone, and the whole unit failed. Based on how chewed up all those bits are, it happened at speed and you may have bits of metal that made it down into your main gear stack, which is not good...

For changing out, I'd lean toward a whole new unit. Cosa-2 is one option, which uses a differnt spring setup for smoother action. OR upgrade to a Pinasco or BGM which make "Super Strong" versions
Thatís the plan. Beware ďfree shippingĒ when your order is about six bucks. Itís probably a month out yet for the tool.

Itís weird how it all went down. Again, the bike had about 600 miles on it. Itís a 2012, so it looks like it spent most of its life sitting. It froze up on me while I was riding (it runs great after cleaning the carb) and I was literally sitting on it at idle in the driveway when it all fell apart.

Iím going to wait until I get the old one out and can count teeth and everything before I order a new one. Really, though, once all of the bits are out it should be just installing the new assembly an bolting everything back together, correct? Should I be worried about those ribs on the inner housing being broken out like they are?
Addicted
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 am quote
Well, this is (almost) embarrassing.

I finally got the clutch out of the Stella yesterday. I know, I know, why did it take me so long SHUT UP, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!

I mean, um, there were other priorities and stuff. Still, progress is progress, albeit slow sometimes.

New clutch is ordered and shipped this morning. I found those covers on eBay for about $40, so I'll replace that as well along with the other bits.

Hopefully it'll be back on the road this spring. I'd really like to have it back on the road. And have the space back in the garage.

Just out of curiosity, there was quite a variety of clutches available. The main reason I wanted to get this one out before I ordered a new one was so that I could count teeth and everything. I ordered the 21 tooth 7 spring to match the one that came out.

Can anyone describe why the variations in the number of teeth / springs? I'm sure it will all make sense when it's explained. Because the answer is always easy when you know it.
Vespa P125X, Stella 2T
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm quote
I know that progress is best and it is good to hear that you are still working on the project. That reminds me....
Addicted
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 am quote
I have the new clutch, new clutch cover and my wife just told me my gaskets and oil filter arrived today.

Now it's just a matter of having the time.
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, VNX1T, V9B1T
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 am quote
You could upgrade the clutch gear cog to 22T. It will help spread out the gears a bit and make them more useable. I'm guessing the 4T is similar to the 2T in this manner.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:43 pm quote
seamus26 wrote:
I have the new clutch, new clutch cover and my wife just told me my gaskets and oil filter arrived today.

Now it's just a matter of having the time.
Time and $, never enough of either, it seems.

But, youíre moving your needle forward and thatís what counts. Good for you! Youíre inspiring other resident slo-poke turtles to do same.......
Addicted
Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 am quote
Weird weekend for scootering. My son went with his Mom for the weekend so I had a rare occasion where I was able to spend a little time on the Stella.

I opened the new clutch and got all of my tools ready. I found a decent video where someone was removing a similar clutch. The new clutch went in and that special castle nut went on. As I normally do with spinny things I used my air wrench and just bumped it into place.

It was only then that I realized that there was supposed to be a lock washer that went on UNDERNEATH the nut. I started digging through the parts and there, underneath a paper towel on my workbench, was said lock washer. Itís a special washer that the nut sits inside - like a cup - with tabs that can be folded over to lock the nut in place.

I put the special tool that I had ordered from India on the nut, positioned the wrench and promptly rounded off all of the teeth on the nut. The flange on the special tool prevents the teeth from fully engaging the nut.

So, hereís the thing. Had I not made the mistake of forgetting the lock washer, it would have been another half hour of reassembly and the bike could (potentially) have been back on the road. I tried to remain calm and figure out a solution, but the more I did, the blacker my mood became. By the time I threw my tools back in my toolbox I had given up on pretty much everything I enjoy in life. I was ready to burn my guitars, burn my scooters, burn my cars and my new hobby was going to be sitting in front of the tv drinking because I figured at least I couldnít mess that up. Maybe.

So thatís what I did for the rest of the night. My wife said sheís never seen me in that kind of mood. The problem is that we are so busy with things - seven days a week - that I rarely have time for ďhobbiesĒ. And the hobbies I have require a time investment that I just donít seem to have anymore. I figured if I eliminated everything that I enjoy that I canít enjoy because of time limitations Iíd just be happier. Or resent everything else ... I hadnít decided which.

I woke up at 5:00am on Sunday with the thought in my head, ďWhat if I just ...Ē and thatís where things started to get better. I took the ZNEN off Craigslist (where I had put it up for sale) and decided to just take a ride.

Halfway to Cascade I felt a little vibration that quickly turned into a clatter. Bad stuff. I pulled into the Meijer parking lot and got out my toolkit. Yes, oh you who scoffed ... my toolkit. It sounded like transmission. I pulled the cover off and just looked. Then it hit me. Here I am in a parking lot working on my scooter. And I know what Iím looking at. This bolt is an oddball, I have to remove this first, this should look this way ... and I like that. In ten minutes in a parking lot I had my bike apart and was working on it. It wasnít anything in the CVT; it was the exhaust. The rear bolts had come loose (again) and this time the pipe cracked. So, using my TOOL KIT I was able to shore things up and ride home. And it was a splendid ride. I donít think that little Chinese engine has ever run better.

I spent some time Sunday puttering in the garage. You know, just putting things away and straightening up. I made a clutch holder tool for the Stella and this morning brought the clutch nut tool in to our maintenance department to have the flange turned down so that I can remove the old clutch nut. Iíll get to it, Iíll take my time and do it right. I am not defeated. Oh, and I ordered a new pipe for the ZNEN. An upgrade, actually. Iíve wanted to for a while and this is my excuse.

More to follow
Addicted
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '66 Allstate SF, '65 VBB, '66 180SS
Mon May 03, 2021 7:55 am quote
You will get it and be riding in no time. I would only say that it is unwise to tighten anything with a gun. Torque to spec.
Ossessionato
79 P200E, 62 Allstate, 2008 Stella
Mon May 03, 2021 7:58 am quote
I hear you seamus - there is NEVER enough time in a day to get to the things you want to do. It seems to get consumed with Have-tos. This is a big issue for me, and I'm guessing with most everyone else...in the world...

I've learned to (mostly) laugh at something going wrong, and not take it too seriously, because there is a lot of good stuff going on during all the "Have-tos".

Like yesterday - it was a fantastic day working in the garage with my friend Chris, but a drop light managed to get lowered with the lift onto an oily rag. He gets his scooter started, I go back into the garage, and the rag is smoldering. Scared the crap out of me.

Then we go downtown for a burrito. I park the Stella, and it starts pouring out fuel everywhere! Yikes. Turns out the top hat on the carb was loose. No biggie, except for the pile of gas - on the sidewalk!

So now we're eating our burritos, and this cop is giving us the stink eye. I greet him kindly and he says he's gotten complaints about a biker gang in the area - I almost spit out my burrito it was so funny, and we all had a good laugh. Cops used to make me real nervous - usually cause what I had in my pocket was illegal, but those days are long gone past. Besides, most everything is legal now, but still...

My point is, stuff will always go wrong.. It's how I react or over-react to it that jacks with my homeostasis. Am I gonna be zen, or flip out? I never know....

I guess I'm just saying that I can relate!
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am quote
It seems most of us have been there and just want to throw everything away. Most of the time a lesson is learned and we keep going.

Lessons like don't buy tools or parts from India. I've been there and won't go back I don't care how cheap they are on Ebay. Most of the items are rejects from past productions of things that were not good to begin with.
You can try to turn the tool down to fit the nut but it not a easy job to get the teeth of the Indian tool to line up. Get the correct tool and the newer nut that does not require a tool from Mercato. Check the woodruff key and buy an extra if needed or cheap insurance for the clutch install.

It just one step back and afterwards hundreds of miles rolling. Glad you back on it.

Good luck!
Addicted
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am quote
rowdyc wrote:
It seems most of us have been there and just want to throw everything away. Most of the time a lesson is learned and we keep going.

Lessons like don't buy tools or parts from India. I've been there and won't go back. I don't care how cheap they are on Ebay. Most of the items are rejects from past productions of things that were not good to begin with.
You can try to turn the tool down to fit the nut but it not a easy job to get the teeth of the Indian tool to line up. Get the correct tool and the newer nut that does not require a tool from Mercato. Check the woodruff key and buy an extra if needed or cheap insurance for the clutch install.

It just one step back and afterwards hundreds of miles rolling. Glad you back on it.

Good luck!
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, VNX1T, V9B1T
Mon May 03, 2021 11:02 am quote
Sorry to hear about the frustration. As everyone else has said.. we all have had that feeling of F it.. I'm throwing all my scooters and tools away. More often than not when you are just starting out. I'm a couple years in and still feel this way every time I hit a major road block, but you eventually figure it out and fix it then get past that feeling! Those instances happen less as you continue as there are so few parts you eventually see just about every problem you can encounter. I've seen quite a few in the past 2 years!

Welcome to the addiction!

Addicted
Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 am quote
qascooter wrote:
I hear you seamus - there is NEVER enough time in a day to get to the things you want to do. It seems to get consumed with Have-tos. This is a big issue for me, and I'm guessing with most everyone else...in the world...

I've learned to (mostly) laugh at something going wrong, and not take it too seriously, because there is a lot of good stuff going on during all the "Have-tos".
Normally I would say yes. I think this has been brewing for a while now. Not to divulge too much, but my Sonís mom moved across the state a couple of years ago. Long story short we wound up in court (again) and I have full guardianship / payee status of my son (heís 25 with Down Syndrome) and while itís all good it has been a ton of extra work for myself and my wife. Throw COVID on that for the past year with home schooling and then the loss of my older brother in February and my Mom in March. Donít get me wrong, I have a whole lot to be happy for. Itís just been a tough period and when I have an opportunity to unwind and it goes like that ... I know, I know. Maybe I just needed a pity party.
qascooter wrote:
Like yesterday - it was a fantastic day working in the garage with my friend Chris, but a drop light managed to get lowered with the lift onto an oily rag. He gets his scooter started, I go back into the garage, and the rag is smoldering. Scared the crap out of me.

Then we go downtown for a burrito. I park the Stella, and it starts pouring out fuel everywhere! Yikes. Turns out the top hat on the carb was loose. No biggie, except for the pile of gas - on the sidewalk!
I remember the first time my P200E did that in our garage. THAT was a learning moment. I knew a lot more about needle valves after that one.
qascooter wrote:
So now we're eating our burritos, and this cop is giving us the stink eye. I greet him kindly and he says he's gotten complaints about a biker gang in the area - I almost spit out my burrito it was so funny, and we all had a good laugh. Cops used to make me real nervous - usually cause what I had in my pocket was illegal, but those days are long gone past. Besides, most everything is legal now, but still...
Cops are cool. You couldnít pay me enough to do their job.
qascooter wrote:
My point is, stuff will always go wrong.. It's how I react or over-react to it that jacks with my homeostasis. Am I gonna be zen, or flip out? I never know....

I guess I'm just saying that I can relate!
Thanks for relating. We all have crap days. Itís how we deal with them that counts.

Anyone who has ever read this can relate.

Addicted
Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 am quote
rowdyc wrote:

Lessons like don't buy tools or parts from India. I've been there and won't go back I don't care how cheap they are on Ebay. Most of the items are rejects from past productions of things that were not good to begin with.

Good luck!
Yup, already have the tool turned down. Unfortunately I canít blame the tool this time. I know better than to use the impact ... normally itís just quicker. Except when it isnít. This was entirely my own doing, and thatís probably been the worst part of it. Once I get beyond that Iím sure things will be fine.

Already have the tool turned down, I have an extra nut and hopefully all will be good. And I learned a lot. Thatís always important.
Addicted
'66 Super 150
Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 pm quote
Hi Seamus,

Just want to weigh in and say thanks for sharing. Your craptastic mechanical scenario has been felt similarly by me and many others here.

When those days happen, I just throw my scoot back into the garage, turn the lights off, SLAM the DAM door, and say a few choice words....

Then I wait a few days and see if the scooter siren song calls me back. It always does.

I know life can get pretty difficult and Iím so sorry for your trials and your losses. Last spring when everything shut down and I was homeschooling four young kids and was stuck in my house and not riding my scooter because of COVID closures and scary riots, I wondered if life would ever get back to ďnormalĒ. I donít know if normal exists. Just day-to-day plugging away and keeping faith and hope alive.

And scooting away in the wind whenever you can....

Keep your chin up. You can do hard things, as youíve already shown. Good for you for not giving up or getting defeated. Two steps forward is TWO STEPS FORWARD! Progress sometimes inches and sometimes leaps. But itís all progress
Addicted
Tue May 04, 2021 3:03 pm quote

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x 2), 74 Primavera (x 2), 06 Fly 150
Tue May 04, 2021 3:31 pm quote
Nice. Now take that castle nut and throw it in the garbage. Get one of these and never look back.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Misc-Parts/MODERNCLUTCHNUT
Addicted
Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 am quote
SoCalGuy wrote:
Nice. Now take that castle nut and throw it in the garbage. Get one of these and never look back.

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-Parts/Clutch-Misc-Parts/MODERNCLUTCHNUT
That is a fantastic piece of engineering! A nut that you could grab from the outside with something like ... oh, I donít know ... a socket? Do the Italians know about such a thing? I mean, this could be a game changer.

That is really cool. I am torn between spending the ten bucks and having it shipped and just using the stock (replacement) nut and hoping that I never have to do this again. I mean, I have a pretty good tool. Now.

Two things tell me the ďmodernizedĒ version would be an upgrade. One, you recommend it, and I thank you much. Two, itís $10+ while the stock version will set me back a little over $2. That tells me which one people want more.

My fear of all things spinny tells me that the original lock nut and washer is a real positive stop. I remember a thread a while back about a cotter pin not replaced on a rear wheel. Ever heard of anyone having any issues with the modern style?

Now on to the next - and hopefully final - question. Under the clutch is a spacer washer. The one currently in the bike measures 1.5mm. The replacement in the kit I bought has a spacer thatís 3.3mm. The Stella service manual I have is good about a lot of things, but also lacking about a lot of things. That washer never gets mentioned.

Please explain to me in simple terms which one is the correct one. IIRC a different washer will change the way the clutch feels/works. I would like to button this all up, but I want to do it right.

You know, this whole fiasco started when a local shop decided they didnít want to do the work. I hate them for that, but at the same time I have to appreciate one thing. I was terrified digging into this because I had never done it before. Now, seeing how all of the parts play with one another, the clutch doesnít scare me as much. Knowing what I know now, including all of the ďwhat NOT to dosĒ, I could probably swap out another one in a couple of hours instead of a couple of years.

Iíll take from it what I can.

Thanks again for all of the help and support, folks.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 x2 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 am quote
Assuming your new clutch is the same height as your old one, i would try the old washer first so that the stackup is the same as before. Be sure the bevel in the washer ID is facing away from the clutch, towards the crankcase and cylinder. Hope this is right and you don't have to take it apart again.

Good luck, your story made me feel a little luckier or something. I just have to replace a headlight bulb and all will be well on my smallie! I hope its just the bulb anyway...
Addicted
Mon May 10, 2021 3:30 am quote
V oodoo wrote:
Assuming your new clutch is the same height as your old one, i would try the old washer first so that the stackup is the same as before. Be sure the bevel in the washer ID is facing away from the clutch, towards the crankcase and cylinder. Hope this is right and you don't have to take it apart again.

Good luck, your story made me feel a little luckier or something. I just have to replace a headlight bulb and all will be well on my smallie! I hope its just the bulb anyway...
As bad as last weekend was, this one was as good. I didn't spend a lot of time working on bikes, but what I did spend was very productive.

I mounted that aftermarket pipe on the ZNEN, found that the threads on the bottom bolt hole were stripped so I used a Nylock nut on the backside to hold it in place. I also added a crankcase vent and magnetic drain plugs for the oil and rear gear, something I should have done a long time ago. Fresh oil all around. The pipe sounds great and there is a noticeable difference in acceleration.

Then I decided to putter a little with the Stella. I finished the clutch install (using the old spacer - there was no bevel, but the bike has so few miles on it I figured the stock spacer would be my best bet. The kit had parts for multiple bikes.) and found that I still had a nearly full tube of Permatex red, so I reinstalled the cover. I used the replacement castle nut and lock washer with the hopes that I never have to do this again, although - if I did - I think it would go much more smoothly. And I'm going to keep that old nut. I'm going to glue it to the bike somewhere where I will see it every time I ride as a reminder of things NOT to do.

At this point all I have to do is connect the cable and remount the shock and rear wheel. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's almost there.

DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous12
[ Time: 0.1776s ][ Queries: 27 (0.1427s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]