OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

VB1 & VLB1 & VSE1 & veloce

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
This is and has been my most reliable scooter ever, not even a blown globe....... until now!!! I use it as my daily runner traveling about 65 to 70 km per day.
I recently sent it in to have new rings put in and when it came back I have been having problems with the electrics. It has been blowing brake light bulbs and doesn't start on first kick like it used to.

I started checking wires and eventually decided to check the stator to see if it was faulty.

After opening the junction box I found a bridge between red and blue. This explains why bike was still running after blowing the brake light globe.

On the stator I found wiring that does not tie up to any diagrams I have seen or found on the net.
I replaced the condenser as the red wire had started to corrode and the insulation was cracking.

I am at a loss!!! Before I go any further, can someone look at the pics i have uploaded and tell me I'm not going mad.

Like I said earlier, most reliable scooter ever till someone else fiddled with it.

I need to know if the stator is workable in its current setup and if anyone has seen this wiring setup before.
vlb1 stator
vlb1 stator
vlb1 stator with my notes of how it is currently wired
vlb1 stator with my notes of how it is currently wired
OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
wiring diagram vlb1
wiring diagram for ref.
wiring diagram vlb1
wiring diagram vlb1
OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
green and blue are on the same coil
green and blue are on the same coil and not yellow and blue as per the wiring diagram.

please help!!!!!
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Do you have the original stator? This one looks aftermarket.
OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
Thats the only one I've had since I bought the scooter 5years ago.
@roadster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550

Molto Verboso
@roadster avatar
Kymco AK550
UTC quote
If the work that was done was mechanical I would be inclined to look for damaged wires, incorrect connection, or lack of earth wire to the engine. As your stator has three completely different coils on it I would guess that its a system designed to run without a battery, would I be corrected in thinking it has no rectifier? Again just guessing but I would suspect that the coil with fewer turns would be a high current feed to the ignition coil and could be wired through the CB points.
UTC

Hooked
GS160

Hooked
GS160
UTC quote
The red and blue have absolutely nothing in common in my opinion. Blue goes to brake light, red to ignition coil. To have them bridged must fool something up.
OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
Vespoholic wrote:
The red and blue have absolutely nothing in common in my opinion. Blue goes to brake light, red to ignition coil. To have them bridged must fool something up.
That is true if the stator was wired in standard format. It worked fine for 5 years without me having to touch anything regarding the electrics. Not even a blown globe. Thing is the guy that worked on it did something to it and now I'm having these priblems.
OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
roadster wrote:
If the work that was done was mechanical I would be inclined to look for damaged wires, incorrect connection, or lack of earth wire to the engine. As your stator has three completely different coils on it I would guess that its a system designed to run without a battery, would I be corrected in thinking it has no rectifier? Again just guessing but I would suspect that the coil with fewer turns would be a high current feed to the ignition coil and could be wired through the CB points.
Correct. No battery, no rectifier and ignition coil is top middle in pic above. Red, connected to points as well.

Im starting to wonder if i should put a vespatronic on this scoot as well or the new ignition system SIP has just released made by Vape and ditch this stator. It generates 12v 110w power at low rpm. Comes in both DC or AC.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/ignition+sip+performance+by_51007ra0
UTC

Hooked
GS160

Hooked
GS160
UTC quote
Veapafish76 wrote:
Vespoholic wrote:
That is true if the stator was wired in standard format. It worked fine for 5 years without me having to touch anything regarding the electrics. Not even a blown globe. Thing is the guy that worked on it did something to it and now I'm having these priblems.
Yes, of course, stupid of me.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Waspmike but i have that diagram as well.

My question is my stator is wired differently to the diagram and have worked well for 5 years with this configuration.

Based in the photo i attached here of my stator and the way it is wired, which way do i connect it up again at the junction box?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Looking at your pictures again.

If it all worked when you took it off and as it has all the same coloured wires as the no battery diagram here. http://scooterhelp.com/electrics/pages/VBC.150super.html

Don't over think it.

I would connect it up as per diagram. Red to the coil, black is ground, yellow, blue and green are lights and horn.

When the engine runs which it will and things are not according to plan that bridge can be crossed at the time. Probably switch the green and yellow as it looks as though coils 1 and 3 have been reversed in function and that yellow becomes the new green.

Try it the original way first. If the side/running lights are dim and the horn is loud then..

If the scoot has been modified for the addition of a battery as might be indicated by the connection of coils 1 and 3 we have to think again.
OP
@veapafish76 avatar
UTC

@veapafish76 avatar
UTC quote
@Wapsmike

Thanks Mike. I did exactly that last night. I wired it up as per the diagram. It starts, runs but no lights and hooter very loud. If i press the brake, the scoot dies but then tail light works until the scoot is dies.

Also tried switching yellow and green but it also didn't work. I realised now I didnt swap them at the switch as well so I will try that again.

I have a spare stator from my other sprint that I am going to put on tomorrow and see is if works as that stator is wired as per the diagram.

If it does the same, then I have a new wiring loom that I will fit to the scoot but I'm not looking forward to that job since I did that on my Rally 200 and didn't enjoy it because I struggled for hours and hours and hours. Worst of all was the Mrs complaining about how long it was taking. Best thing was not having to go shopping with her.

If the above doent work then I'll just send it to the auto electrician and pay him to deal with it.
@danie avatar
UTC

Hooked
1957 VN2, 1970 180 Rally, 1980 P150X and P200E

Hooked
@danie avatar
1957 VN2, 1970 180 Rally, 1980 P150X and P200E
UTC quote
I live in George and have restored a lot of 6V Vespas. It is quite easy to upgrade to 12V, but if you want to keep it 6V, I can help you with the wiring.
You are welcome to contact me at 0827739112.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0314s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0078s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]