@tdrake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 GT200

Ossessionato
@tdrake avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
On y'all's repeated recommendation I picked up David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling", largely a refresher of all the stuff I've forgotten from my motorcycle safety course two years ago, and so have been reminded that in the split seconds in which potential accidents occur my reaction will largely be determined by habits I have practiced and based on muscle memory and training.

I know y'all have probably heard this already, but it's worth ingraining deep into our psyches: Tammi Jo Shults calmly guiding Southwest 1380 to safety. Like Sully Sullenberger in 2009, this seems the pinnacle of training toward which we should aspire each day.

34 seconds of pure human excellence:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/southwest-airlines-flight-1380-audio-tammie-jo-shults-engine-explosion-hero-pilot-sucked-out-window-a8310126.html

Practice that counter steering!!!
UTC

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
Our military does produce some amazing people. My best buddy growing up became a military fighter pilot. I can recall when he was off duty or on leave after his training, while we were riding in a car together, it seemed like every moment he was going over emergency procedures in his mind. Sometimes out loud and so often that I could probably recite some of them.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
I've written this before, but I can say that roughly 80% of the safety and evasive-maneuver training I've adapted to scootering was learned as a cyclist in NYC for four decades, a tiny sliver of that time as a messenger, hanging out with riders who had a decided fighter-jock attitude. I've had exactly one near-death experience where making the correct maneuver at the right moment literally saved my ass, largely on account of remembering an article on countersteering I'd read years before in Motorcyclist magazine...which fascinated me so much that I reread it possibly a dozen times in fairly short order. But there are so many other things I learned from cycling that have kept me out of harm's way to begin with, including cultivating peripheral vision, watching for the slightest irregular movement, frequent mirror checks (I was probably one for the first cyclists I knew to use a helmet- or eyeglass-mounted mirror, so it's an engrained habit to this day), and maintaining a proper distance.

To wit, you can never be too careful.
Yrs Trly, 1984 Five Boro Bike Tour: All That Gear!
Yrs Trly, 1984 Five Boro Bike Tour: All That Gear!
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 2 times
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I have been going on about that book for many, many years. It should be on the coffee table (for frequent reading) in every rider's house.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Great thread. As much as some skills are activity-specific, it's interesting what carries over. This made me think about my time as a private pilot years ago. One of the important things learned is staying calm and being methodical in your reaction to unexpected events. It's certainly not unique to flying, but certainly one of those situations when timely and appropriate actions can be critical.

Time to get back to that book. I've skimmed most of it, but it's always worth a re-read. Nerd emoticon
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Emergency Reactions Follow Habits, can be seen when driving on the 'other' side of the road in a foreign country. I've done this in the U.S where I drove up the wrong way in a corner, luckily to no avail. In Victoria, 20% of crashes on the Great Ocean Road are caused by international drivers. Even for the most careful driver/rider in that split second emergency decision when habits kick in, but you are meant to be on the 'other' side of the road, the consequences can be fatal.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
In every situation one must run through the "exit" procedure in one's head.

What if the guy ?????
What if the car ???

Etc..

Also swap between car and scooter. Scooter only needs about 18 inches of space so decision is different than driving a car.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0315s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0052s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]