@rb_prior avatar
UTC

Hooked
1963 Allstate, 2005 Vespa PX150, 2001 Harley 95 ci Dyna

Hooked
@rb_prior avatar
UTC quote
I recently ordered from SIP four tubeless tire/rim assemblies for both my 2005 PX 150 (10 inch wheels) and my '63 Allstate (8 inch wheels). SIP included with each assembly Nord-Lock washers to be used in place of the standard spring type lock washer. These little washers are unique and perform very well under conditions where vibrations can be a problem. This short 4 minute video explains how these Nord-Lock washers work.

Since my service manual for the PX 150 lists places on the bike that should be re-tightened at certain intervals, why not replace the standard lock washer with a Nord-Lock washer. Then, such preventative maintenance should be reduced and the bike should be safer to ride as well. One such place would be the two bolts that secure the carburetor. I have to re-torque these frequently. With the Nord-Lock washers installed, these bolts should not vibrate lose. Or how about using them under the head nuts. No flat washer would be needed, just torque the head nuts in a crosswise fashion incrementally to specs and that would be it.

Amazon carries just about any size Nord-Lock washer and I am sure they can be purchased in most good hardware stores. Their unique design and method of preventing a nut or bolt from coming lose due to vibration should make them very amenable for use on the Vespa. Has anyone used the Nord-Lock washers on their Vespas and if so, how well do they perfrom?
Nord-Lock washer.  Two halves are glued together.  Use only once.
Nord-Lock washer. Two halves are glued together. Use only once.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Nord-Locks are legit. They're ingenious & they work. They might not come in a size that will fit on the carb, but if they do go for it.
UTC

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
UTC quote
I have used Nord-Locks on all my Vespas and they are great, but I think I'll continue to check the wheel nuts on a regular basis, regardless of which type of washer I used.
UTC

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250

Addicted
SS208, SX250 , RD's and a K1300s and an RZ350 and TZR250
UTC quote
On often disassembled parts, they can be a pain as they come apart after use. You may also find that the same torque as with a split washer is not sufficient to seat them since they move. Just check torques after first few rides.
OP
@rb_prior avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rb_prior avatar
UTC quote
Nord-Lock Washers for 8 and 10 inch Vespa Wheels
Amazon has these Nord-Lock washers in packs of 20 for around $15 per pack with free shipping. The 8 inch wheel takes the NL10 size and the 10 inch wheel takes the NL 8 size (see photo below).
Nord-Lock washers for 10 inch wheels (left) and 8 inch wheels (right).
Nord-Lock washers for 10 inch wheels (left) and 8 inch wheels (right).
OP
@rb_prior avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rb_prior avatar
UTC quote
After use, the Nord-Lock washers will come apart as the glue is no longer effective. You can reuse these washers if you inspect them carefully and put them back together cam face to cam face. If in doubt, use a new washer.

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0214s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0033s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]