OP
UTC

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
UTC quote
I need a new jacket and you lot are the research.

I feel the cold......MUST be very warm .... I am not likely to be riding in snow, however,I do long distance trips and journeys over two hours soon suck heat from little crevices between zips,pocket etc (jackets with out many of those are best)

MUST hold out hard driving rain after two hours......I ve had many jacket say the they are water proof......but after leaning into heavy driving rain for two hours most start taking on water up the sleeves.

Ive used a rain jacket over layers of thermals up until now but would prefer one garment .

Looking for experienced long haulers advice from those who have well tested their gear..esp under extreme conditions

what say ye?
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Www.motorcylegear.com

They have tons of choices, all over the range of prices, and lots of real life reviews. You could call and talk to a real person to get the scoop on the details of something you're considering.

Edit: Shoot, sorry, was doing this on my phone last evening and didn't see that you're from New Zealand.
⚠️ Last edited by Larrytsg on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Have you thought about installing a fly screen/ wind screen? For my commuting I install mine early fall, then remove it early Summer once it warms up again. That and a Gortex jacket.
UTC

Hooked
P200E

Hooked
P200E
UTC quote
Can an old Vespa's electrical system sustain an electric vest--about a 50 watt draw? Keeping your body core warm is the key to riding comfort, and insulation alone may not be sufficient on long, wet rides. There are electric garments that have their own rechargeable batteries, too.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
khittner wrote:
Can an old Vespa's electrical system sustain an electric vest--about a 50 watt draw? Keeping your body core warm is the key to riding comfort, and insulation alone may not be sufficient on long, wet rides. There are electric garments that have their own rechargeable batteries, too.
50 watts is really pushing it, but with one of those new SIP DC ignition kits installed, i don't think it would be a problem powering one.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

141 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

141 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
I have a FirstGear Kilamanjaro jacket that I've had for over ten years and it's kept me warm with a base layer down to sub-zero temps with appropriate accompanying gear (mask, mittens, pants, etc).

Likewise, I've worn it in pounding rain at highway-ish speeds and never gotten wet.

I can't speak to the current products, but at least once upon a time, it was a rock solid jacket.
@slohound avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS150, Struzzo, Rally, PX

Hooked
@slohound avatar
GS150, Struzzo, Rally, PX
UTC quote
Check out Aerostich. Kind of fits the not-so-modern genre as well.
UTC

Hooked
P200e

Hooked
P200e
UTC quote
Alpinestars Andes Drystar. It ain't vintage but its exactly what you describe. Completely dry and windproof. Warm with a removable liner and has armor
@cazshie avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 PX200

Hooked
@cazshie avatar
2003 PX200
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Aerostich was already mentioned, but there's also Rukka and Klim. Klim is much more catered to the offroad touring riders though. All those jackets are Gore-tex, hence the expense. I don't think anything can beat Gore-tex yet for waterproofness and breathability.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0319s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0089s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]