Vespa PX200 E Restoration
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Lurker

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:48 am quote
Hi Vespa lovers,
so long story short my father had a vespa PX200E since 1990s that we still have now. It came to my mind that I want to fix it! It is totally unusable so I guess pretty mych EVERYTHING must be replaced (i will post 3 pics of it). The question is, how much do you think this whole project will cost if I bring it to a proffesional (will it be the same as buying a used vespa?) And the other question is how much of it can I do on my own, as a guy with ZERO knowledge on vehicles and mechanics! Thank you in advance!

Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 am quote
Browse this forum
This will probably get scooted over to the "Not so modern" section. But, that's a great place to look.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn and do yourself if you are willing to read and research.

I wouldn't call it totally unusable. But, yeah, it'll need to be freshened up.

Likely a motor teardown, clean, new seals, etc.
Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

If you really want to keep it, I suggest looking at one aspect at a time and reading/learning as much as you can.

Engine teardown may be intimidating as a newbie, so start small.
Lurker

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:49 am quote
Re: Browse this forum
67GT125 wrote:
This will probably get scooted over to the "Not so modern" section. But, that's a great place to look.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn and do yourself if you are willing to read and research.

Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

If you really want to keep it, I suggest looking at one aspect at a time and reading/learning as much as you can.

Hi there,
thank you so much for your fast reply! Could you mby get an estimate of the price:
a) if it is done by a professional
b) only for the cost of the parts if I buy them seperately

thank you
Addicted
1967 Granturismo 177, 1979 P200E, 1974 Primavera 125 Hooligans S/C Seattle/Austin
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:55 am quote
krasoydakis wrote:
67GT125 wrote:

Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

Hi there,
thank you so much for your fast reply! Could you mby get an estimate of the price:

thank you
You'd have to take it into a shop for that. Without seeing the bike, one can only guess at what it may need. Price also depends a lot on what country you are in, if you have a "scooter" mechanic, or motorcycle shop, etc...

Parts: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en

That will help in pricing out parts.
Lurker

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:07 am quote
67GT125 wrote:
krasoydakis wrote:
67GT125 wrote:

Clutch
Battery
Tires
Carburetor gone over
Gas tank cleaned

Hi there,

thank you
You'd have to take it into a shop for that. Without seeing the bike, one can only guess at what it may need. Price also depends a lot on what country you are in, if you have a "scooter" mechanic, or motorcycle shop, etc...

Parts: https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en

That will help in pricing out parts.
Thank you again!
My last question is, where would you suggest me to search considering vintage vespas restoration? Are there any specific groups, sites, etc that you know of? Also, do you have any manual to suggest for a newb like me ?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:38 pm quote
Moved to the Not So Modern section, where you will get the very best advice.
Ossessionato
VSX, Stella 177, VNX1T, V9B1T
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:48 pm quote
Where are you located? that could help someone suggest a place to take it to if you want to go that route.

If you want to try doing it yourself.. start at the ground up. First look to see if the gas tank is rusty or not? If not, try adding gas. Does it have an oil tank? If so, add 2 stroke oil to the oil tank. If no separate oil tank, add 2% oil to the gas. Then try to see if it will start.

General basics of trying to get a long time sat scooter running:

1. gearbox oil change
2. carb disassembly, clean and reassembly with new gaskets, float and float needle.
3. fuel/2 stroke oil.. do they flow?
4. if all else done, does it start? If not, does the spark plug spark at all?

You can most likely get it to run with all those things done. Once it starts, then you can start working down the list of all the other things that may or may not need to be touched.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.0346s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0154s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]