OP
@dudley_1972 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Douglas Sportique (VBB), PX200E, 50N (smallframe), Lambretta LI 150 (SII)

Enthusiast
@dudley_1972 avatar
Vespa Douglas Sportique (VBB), PX200E, 50N (smallframe), Lambretta LI 150 (SII)
UTC quote
Hello guys, I was trying out some LED's but haven't had any good results currently, I purchased some from Halfords in the UK and they seem to stop working after a short while of being installed, has anyone on here any other experiences with these or are there a certain type of LED you need to buy?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
I would guess that your not-so-modern scooters' electrical systems are not regulated at 12V DC, or may even be AC, which would play havoc with LED lights and your SIP digital speedometer that you mention in another topic.

Perhaps if you say which of your scooters you're working with, someone who knows more about their electrics will chime in.

Good luck!
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

13 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

13 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
yep...you need to buy AC LED's or convert to full DC.

I have gone both routes and while the full DC system is somewhat better (no flickering), swapping to AC on a batteryless bike also worked just fine with the right bulbs.

Install a regulator if you don't already have one and then it's just a straight bulb swap. You could probably even get away with not having a regulator if you bought 12/24v bulbs, but I haven't actually tried that.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
If you do the 12v conversion, I've had success with Pilot LED replacement bulbs. I've had them on my ZNEN since 2014 and not lost a one. Look like this :

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Lights snap on and off like you'd expect and they are super bright. They make my amber indicator lenses almost look white. Big improvement in visibility.

They make many direct replacements for standard bulbs. I picked all of mine up at Auto Zone, but you can probably get them cheaper online.
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
I have converted to LED except for my headlight. Everything else on my bike is 6v DC. I got indicator bulbs from superbrightleds.com, but they did not carry the right ones for my tail light. I ended up getting those from https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ after emailing them to ask their recommendation. They were very helpful, so since you're in the UK I would try them. The quality of LED bulbs varies a lot, so it pays to buy from someone who is known to carry good ones.

As others have said, if your bike is AC and/or unregulated you will need to figure that out and then get the right components.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0106s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]