OP
@kimpossible avatar
UTC

Addicted
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
 
Addicted
@kimpossible avatar
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
UTC quote
After having lived in the idyllic State College for 10 years I'm moving back to the DC region. (New Carrollton to be specific) I know I have lost my urban edge, and this time I'll have a scooter as my only transport (besides public transport that is)

I'm interested in what security setups people use in that region. I might be over-reacting due to reading about London's issues all the time. So far I've got the brake lock. I'm trying to get my apartment complex to let me put in a kryptonite anchor so I can use a big honking chain to lock it down further.

Is that overkill?

If I can't use the anchor and chain, is there another layer I should add?

I know you can't stop someone determined to get your scooter, but I'd like major deterrence and frustration. What setups do other DC folks use?

Thanks!
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3243
Location: Orange Park Florida
 
Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3243
Location: Orange Park Florida
UTC quote
I live in a condo. I pay $115 a month to keep my scoots and boat at a storage lot. If you have one close enough to walk/ ride a bicycle to, that's an option.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8947
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8947
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
UTC quote
PG County? lock it up tight. My Kawasaki Z1 900 and a Honda Elite 150 was stolen from my condo parking lot when I lived in Forestville.
There are a Bunch of low life scum bags in PG County.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
PG County? lock it up tight. My Kawasaki Z1 900 and a Honda Elite 150 was stolen from my condo parking lot when I lived in Forestville.
There are a Bunch of low life scum bags in PG County.
True, but it really depends on what part of PG County you live in.

But ahhh, the old days. We first moved into PG County in '79 and it was a great place to live. Still is in some places.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8947
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8947
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
UTC quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
PG County? lock it up tight. My Kawasaki Z1 900 and a Honda Elite 150 was stolen from my condo parking lot when I lived in Forestville.
There are a Bunch of low life scum bags in PG County.
True, but it really depends on what part of PG County you live in.

But ahhh, the old days. We first moved into PG County in '79 and it was a great place to live. Still is in some places.
Not any place inside the beltway. Which New Corrolton is
@brian_m avatar
UTC

Member
2008 Vespa GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: bowie, md
 
Member
@brian_m avatar
2008 Vespa GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: bowie, md
UTC quote
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Grew up in New Carrollton, got married and moved to Bowie in '85. No doubt it's changed there since then. I've driven through, but can't really say much about the level of crime and such.

My gut feeling is it's probably not too bad, certainly our friends in London have it worse than just about anybody. That said, some protection wouldn't hurt. I'm also guessing any aspiring criminals in that area are not going to be as determined as they might be elsewhere, but again, no first hand recent knowledge. I think the simplest things to do would be to always lock the steering and use a cover. Unless you do lock it to some type of structure, a couple of big guys could probably lift it into a pickup. I *think* you mostly need to deter the casual thief/joyrider in that area. Of course just a chain/lock through the front wheel would make it pretty hard to roll. I know they sell locks similar to the U-shaped Kryptonite ones that you can clamp through the wheel (also pin styles).

Personally, I park mine on my front porch and have never noticed any trouble or signs of attempted theft. But I'm in a house and not a busy apartment complex, so YMMV. Hopefully you won't have any trouble with some simple precautions, but if they let you put the anchor in that would obviously be great.

Yeah, it was certainly a nice area growing up, hope it hasn't changed too much. Worked at the library while in school and met my wife there. Good memories. Drop a PM if you want to do a local ride around sometime, I'm just out 450 near 197 in Bowie.

Again, welcome to the neighborhood, I hope you enjoy the area.

-brian
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
brian_m wrote:
Grew up in New Carrollton, got married and moved to Bowie in '85. No doubt it's changed there since then. I've driven through, but can't really say much about the level of crime and such.

My gut feeling is it's probably not too bad, certainly our friends in London have it worse than just about anybody. That said, some protection wouldn't hurt. I'm also guessing any aspiring criminals in that area are not going to be as determined as they might be elsewhere, but again, no first hand recent knowledge. I think the simplest things to do would be to always lock the steering and use a cover. Unless you do lock it to some type of structure, a couple of big guys could probably lift it into a pickup. I *think* you mostly need to deter the casual thief/joyrider in that area. Of course just a chain/lock through the front wheel would make it pretty hard to roll. I know they sell locks similar to the U-shaped Kryptonite ones that you can clamp through the wheel (also pin styles).

Personally, I park mine on my front porch and have never noticed any trouble or signs of attempted theft. But I'm in a house and not a busy apartment complex, so YMMV. Hopefully you won't have any trouble with some simple precautions, but if they let you put the anchor in that would obviously be great.

Yeah, it was certainly a nice area growing up, hope it hasn't changed too much. Worked at the library while in school and met my wife there. Good memories. Drop a PM if you want to do a local ride around sometime, I'm just out 450 near 197 in Bowie.

Again, welcome to the neighborhood, I hope you enjoy the area.

-brian
Bowie here as well. Off Enterprise Rd., 1/4 mile south of Frank's Garden Center.

Problem is, I still own the house, I just don't live there. Am currently about 1500 miles SW of Frank's Garden Center.
OP
@kimpossible avatar
UTC

Addicted
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
 
Addicted
@kimpossible avatar
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
UTC quote
House in Bowie
That wouldn't happen to be an example of the oh so rare ranch/rambler house would it? If so, are you looking to sell?
@budz avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1137
Location: Washington DC
 
Molto Verboso
@budz avatar
GTS 300 Super ABS/ASR (sold), BV 350 ABS/ASR (crashed)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1137
Location: Washington DC
UTC quote
The Washington DC metropolitan area in general has a high rate of scooter and bicycle thefts irrespective of neighborhood. Invest in a solid chain through the rear wheel. Leaving my office in Dupont Circle a police offer suggested I "always chain" mine up...
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3379
Location: Springboro, OH
 
Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3379
Location: Springboro, OH
UTC quote
Disc Brake Lock with alarm (Xena has a model that will fit the Vespa). Grip lock that can be easily seen. Decent chain and lock through the rear wheel.

Your goal should be to create enough deterrents to scare of the opportunistic thieves looking for an easy target.
@dmpawley avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2073
Location: Northern California
 
Ossessionato
@dmpawley avatar
2013 GTS 300 i.e.
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2073
Location: Northern California
UTC quote
Woo Hoo Bowie!

Lived in the N section behind Allen Pond for 15 years. Loved Maryland.
@brian_m avatar
UTC

Member
2008 Vespa GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: bowie, md
 
Member
@brian_m avatar
2008 Vespa GTS 250
Joined: UTC
Posts: 46
Location: bowie, md
UTC quote
Maybe I'm naive...
Or thinking/hoping things haven't changed that much...

While I would definitely be concerned if I was in Forestville, Landover, Suitland, etc, I guess I though New Carrollton might still be a bit better. Certainly central PG county and the areas bordering DC are going to be more prone to crime historically.

Looking briefly on the interwebs, there certainly seems to be plenty of sites offering crime stats and the like, you could compare with State College and get a general feel for how it compares. A quick look seemed to indicate it was pretty safe, but definitely invest the time and check for yourself.

Here's hoping you find it a good place to live. Does your complex have storage areas in/under the buildings? Sometimes they have fenced cubes for each tenant which could be an option. Might be inconvenient or not well monitored, just a thought.

-brian
UTC

Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 763
Location: Northern Virginia
 
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black (donated)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 763
Location: Northern Virginia
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
Disc Brake Lock with alarm (Xena has a model that will fit the Vespa). Grip lock that can be easily seen. Decent chain and lock through the rear wheel.

Your goal should be to create enough deterrents to scare of the opportunistic thieves looking for an easy target.
I had one of the "alarmed" disc locks. Every time it even misted, the damn thing went off. PITA both a work and back at home. I live in a townhouse in Alexandria now with assigned parking off street. I use a disc lock and cover the scoot. So far, so good. I think the point about determined thieves is a good one. Those guys will get your scoot if they want to. You just want devices that deter the spur of the moment miscreants.
@ckswans avatar
UTC

Member
Vespa LX 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 35
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Member
@ckswans avatar
Vespa LX 50
Joined: UTC
Posts: 35
Location: East Bay, CA
UTC quote
Re: DC scooter security setups
KimPossible wrote:
After having lived in the idyllic State College for 10 years I'm moving back to the DC region. (New Carrollton to be specific) I know I have lost my urban edge, and this time I'll have a scooter as my only transport (besides public transport that is)

I'm interested in what security setups people use in that region. I might be over-reacting due to reading about London's issues all the time. So far I've got the brake lock. I'm trying to get my apartment complex to let me put in a kryptonite anchor so I can use a big honking chain to lock it down further.

Is that overkill?

If I can't use the anchor and chain, is there another layer I should add?

I know you can't stop someone determined to get your scooter, but I'd like major deterrence and frustration. What setups do other DC folks use?

Thanks!
Thanks for the post. I hadn't really thought about this. I park mine behind a locked gate at night but realistically I will be parking her other places. The responses you received were great. I picked up the old Xena X1 on Ebay for $15 and a reminder cable on Amazon for $7. Not a bad price tag for some peace of mind.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5664
Location: Home of the Alamo
UTC quote
Re: House in Bowie
KimPossible wrote:
That wouldn't happen to be an example of the oh so rare ranch/rambler house would it? If so, are you looking to sell?
Why yes it is. And it is currently on the market. PM me for my phone number if you'd like.
OP
@kimpossible avatar
UTC

Addicted
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
 
Addicted
@kimpossible avatar
Tethys - 2012 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 761
Location: Bowie, MD
UTC quote
Thanks!
Thanks everybody for the helpful comments!!
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4125
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
 
Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4125
Location: Kingdom of Lanna
UTC quote
Re: DC scooter security setups
KimPossible wrote:
Is that overkill?

If I can't use the anchor and chain, is there another layer I should add?

Nothing is overkill. Whatever it takes so you can sleep soundly at night.

You may wish to consider an alarmed cover. There is a small battery powered alarm that fits into a special pocket with a tether. Anyone removes the cover it makes a noise. It is not trembler based so very little chance of a false alarm.

Not exactly a Harry Potter invisibility cloak but...keeps the scooter out of sight in plain sight plus...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]