UTC quote
Hi.

I'm considering fixing my daily scoot that has some cosmetic damage:
- seat cracking everywhere and gaffer's tape doesn't look so great
- mudguard badly damaged - this would be costly in terms of labor
- while mudguard off replace/pack fork bearings
- cowling dent from a drop
- headlamp needs new filament

Back of the envelope math suggests ~$1500-1800 for someone to do the work for a 12y old (9,000 miles) scoot that otherwise functions fine. Trouble is, the scoot isn't worth $1500. Still, I really iike the GT200 - engine is real strong, belt already replaced, along with all switches.

Instead, would you just buy a new 2017 GTS 300 for $6k plus taxes, etc. from a dealer with zero miles?

Suggestions on course of action? Also, I see a lot of newer scooters that have chrome plating flaking off the foot pegs, molding, etc. Is this common outside of San Francisco?

What route would you take: fix the old or buy new?

Thanks!
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super

Addicted
@sacto_monkeyboy avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I'm lazy in the sense that you already have the bike and like it. Cosmetic damage is cheaper than mechanical. As you said the engine runs fine. Newer belt and all.

I'd drop the coin to keep this bike running. Yes the newer bike has more power and torque. ABS and is liquid cooled vs air cooled. But, otherwise it's the same bike.

That's just me though. Let's see what the community thinks.
UTC

Hooked
BV250

Hooked
BV250
UTC quote
A photo would help. $1500 for a GT200 would be quite a good deal depending on condition.

Another factor is whatever caused it to get beat up - would the same thing happen to a new one? It would hurt more on the more expensive model.

If you consider future depreciation the newer model doesn't look so hot unless it's fun money.
@skansen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@skansen avatar
UTC quote
Hi,
my question is this: is having a 12 yr-old scooter problematic or do you want/need a more powerful one (or just wanna change)?
If I were you, I would keep it and spend up to $1800 for the improvements. On the $6000+ you would pay for a new one, you can either save the difference to change in the future or spend the money riding.

Just my 2 cents.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
The 200 at 9,000 miles is barely broken in. Speed is the same between the 2. The track record for the 200's is proven and not so much on the 300. I'd take the 200 but that's me. Good luck
@larrytsg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200e

Ossessionato
@larrytsg avatar
1979 P200e
UTC quote
Some of this stuff is not necessary.... like fixing the dents if you live in the city.

Fixing a seat can be very easy... my P200 only took about an hour to replace the seat cover. One other option is a cover that slips right over the existing seat, with no clips or tugging.

I'm a run what you brung kind of guy.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Buy the New 300
I have admittedly blown a bunch of cash buying new with all the appropriate self serving justifications.

There is nothing like the look and smell of a new machine.

Bob Copeland
"Over Buyers Anonymous"
Currently on a 12 step program for better financial security screw it - buy new!
OP
UTC

GT200

GT200
UTC quote
Y'all make good points. It used to be a garaged bike, but with crazy SF garage rents, it is on the street. Mudguard damage was the result of a domino of motorcycles tipping over. The Vespa is where it stopped and no other bikes went down. Woot!

And going forward my ride will be parked on the street, subject to vandalism, people pushing the bike over, etc. It's happened already.

Any further comments are most welcome.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
nice seat, huh?
nice seat, huh?
@skansen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@skansen avatar
UTC quote
I confirm: change what must be changed (tires included), some polish and ride!
UTC

2010 GTS 300 - White

2010 GTS 300 - White
UTC quote
I know it's probably not the most fun advice, but: I wouldn't be putting any money into purely cosmetic fixes if I were street parking in SF daily. Fix the seat if it's uncomfortable, take care of anything regarding safety/rideability, then just use it.

How much would it suck to have someone back into your brand new scooter? It's bound to get bumped at some point in the city, I'd rather have less money into the "shiny" factor when it does.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
^^^^ This.

Get a new seat cover, staple it on. Pretty easy to do! Buy a new H4 headlight bulb and install. Again very easy. Duct tape the remains of the fender together, give the mechanicals a once-over (are tires/belt/oil due?) and call it a day. The GT is ideal for SF - and I'd really hesitate to leave a brand-new GTS out on the street on a regular basis, it's bound to get bounced around a bit in due course.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
My first thought was go for the new 2017 GTS. But now that you've explained your parking/living situation, I would keep the old bike. It would break my heart to see a new 2017 get abused by some passerby or vandal. Better yet, if you can move out of SF, do so and get the new GTS. Connecticut is wonderful - my 2015 scooter is still in mint condition and no one ever messes with my bike.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Considering it's living on the street, I'd go for keeping the old one.

Not sure about the difference in pricing, but if you're not into installing a new cover, Cheeky Seats makes great slip on covers in infinite options.

https://scooterseatcovers.net/
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
I'm lazy in the sense that you already have the bike and like it. Cosmetic damage is cheaper than mechanical. As you said the engine runs fine. Newer belt and all.

I'd drop the coin to keep this bike running. Yes the newer bike has more power and torque. ABS and is liquid cooled vs air cooled. But, otherwise it's the same bike.

That's just me though. Let's see what the community thinks.
The GT200 is also liquid cooled.
UTC

2013 Vespa GTS300 IE

2013 Vespa GTS300 IE
UTC quote
Re: Fix GT200 L or buy new 2017 GTS 300
FilbertSteps wrote:
Hi.

What route would you take: fix the old or buy new?

Thanks!
As I get older and wiser ... I am less interested in looks and more interested in reliability. I think the scooter looks OK to me. Fix anything mechanical and ride.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
My vote = Keep the old one for all the reasons already mentioned.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I keep repairing my old GTs.

It is relatively easy to keep them in great running condition.

Putting a new scooter on the street would be a shame.

So I recommend keeping the GT.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
Keep the GT for all the reasons already mentioned and the fact that they are awesome scoots.
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus

Ossessionato
GT200 & GTS250 & NC750X & Royal Enfield Pegasus
UTC quote
I'd also vote for keeping the GT. Personally I'd find a 2nd hand seat and put it on yourself, also change the bulb yourself and then just glue and use black tape over the front mudguard. Cost about $100. The dents add character! Imagine how you'd feel if you found your brand new $6k scooter knocked over.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Depends on what you'll use the scoot for.

New is always new as Bob said....but if it will stay on the street, you'll have to have both loose cash and courage to make that investment.
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Given the bike's provenance, I'd keep it and fix the mechanicals , but I'll be a touch heretical and recommend sprucing up the bike's cosmetics at least a bit, and while this might seem contradictory: something parked on the street looking particularly disheveled tends to get treated this way. At the very least, I'd get that dent pulled out and primered - paint can come later. You'll likely be keeping these wheels for a while...why not make the ride a little nicer?

And, yes, a nice re-covering of the seat is in order.

That's a damned fine scoot. You already own it. It's worth the investment
⚠️ Last edited by amateriat on UTC; edited 2 times
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
A new mudguard for give or take $100, a new seat cover for a little less. Half a days work on the cowl with Rust-Oleum enamel, and you are back in business. GT200 is a great machine. Reduce, reuse and recycle.
@jet_peddler avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@jet_peddler avatar
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF (sold). '15 FLSTN
UTC quote
A third option to consider...

Keep your current 200 as a backup and don't fix a thing that doesn't prevent it from operating safely.

Shop for a 2-4 year old GTS 300 with ABS brakes (with the 2019 models out, a 2015 is four years old). If you're not in a big hurry you should be able to pick something up on the north side of $3,500.

No way I'd pay retail for another new Vespa. Did that once already and got it out of my system.
⚠️ Last edited by Jet Peddler on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

2012 gtv

2012 gtv
UTC quote
A little fiberglass patching and a few decals and you're good to go.
OP
UTC

GT200

GT200
UTC quote
You guys have been AWESOME

While the g/f may not be pleased, you have convinced me what I had in my gut all along. Stick with what works. The GT200 is an awesome bike, though mine may have a double chin, a zit and whatever.

Will fix the seat. Thinking about the cowling dent. To the guy in Asbury Park, you make a good point. Junk is treated as junk. That _is_ the way it is in SF. Then again, drivers drive like they are on the 405 in LA (no offense).

As for the mudguard, that's where the line will be drawn. Part is $140 and labor is $360-480. For the g/f ya, but. . .Would you do it for the g/f. This is our only ride. Sold the BMW M3 and the Triumph Bonneville. (we have uber everywhere.)

Thanks for all your input. VERY helpful.[/i]
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It's not that huge a job to replace the fender - it really shouldn't take a good tech more than an hour, if that. DIY you can take your time. It does mean removing the handlebars and dropping the fork - but that's not rocket science.
OP
UTC

GT200

GT200
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
It's not that huge a job to replace the fender - it really shouldn't take a good tech more than an hour, if that. DIY you can take your time. It does mean removing the handlebars and dropping the fork - but that's not rocket science.
there in lies the rub...finding a good tech in the Bay Area is challenging...sad, I know. Suggestions???
@miguelatf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie

Hooked
@miguelatf avatar
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
FilbertSteps wrote:
You guys have been AWESOME

While the g/f may not be pleased, you have convinced me what I had in my gut all along. Stick with what works. The GT200 is an awesome bike, though mine may have a double chin, a zit and whatever.

Will fix the seat. Thinking about the cowling dent. To the guy in Asbury Park, you make a good point. Junk is treated as junk. That _is_ the way it is in SF. Then again, drivers drive like they are on the 405 in LA (no offense).

As for the mudguard, that's where the line will be drawn. Part is $140 and labor is $360-480. For the g/f ya, but. . .Would you do it for the g/f. This is our only ride. Sold the BMW M3 and the Triumph Bonneville. (we have uber everywhere.)

Thanks for all your input. VERY helpful.[/i]
Everyone else has already said all the right stuff so I'm just chiming in but for me, the deciding factor between old and new is that you live in S.F. Alas, San Francisco has been plagued for decades by bicycle thefts and I'm sorry to say but in some neighborhoods, parking a shiny new or newer Vespa can be a potentially nerve-wracking act...for a lot of reasons. That would pretty much do it for me. Plus - your present older Vespa may have scratches and dings...but it looks pretty darn cool as well.

Stay with the old.
@granturismotim avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Scarabeo 500 ie, GT200L (RIP) and a LX50 (will be 190 one day)

Enthusiast
@granturismotim avatar
Scarabeo 500 ie, GT200L (RIP) and a LX50 (will be 190 one day)
UTC quote
Keep the GT200 and fix it. I would suggest learning to do it yourself. If you have any mechanical ability, you can do it. It really isn't that hard. For what you are doing, it doesn't take a lot of exotic tools either.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0257s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0136s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]