UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Shopping for a top case for my scooter.
Piaggio case with Piaggio mounting...ebay Europe.
(have also seen prices of 135 Euros for the case and mount combo)
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA ....CASE

USA ...mounting

If I wanted to add a light bar I'd be looking at an outlay of nearly 20% of the MSRP of my scooter if I bought US.

O.S.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
How attached are you to the idea of a Vespa topcase? I'm happy with my GIVI 450 case: 45 liter, optional light kit, comes with a universal mounting plate. I had to get the heavy bar end weights and the piece that bolts the folding rear rack down flat, but it was a small extra cost.

They also have smaller sizes.
@lord_ickenham avatar
UTC

Addicted
et 2 50cc

Addicted
@lord_ickenham avatar
et 2 50cc
UTC quote
At the official Piaggio dealer in my country this is about 220$ too. The prices of the ebay are different everywhere. It is not US vs. Europe difference.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
If you want a factory color matched case, you'll need to get the vespa case.

Givi and Shad are aftermarket that are both very high quality for quite a bit less.

Admore Lighting has LED kits for top cases that go behind the lenses of the Givi cases. Worth every penny.
This is the kit for my Givi V46 with running, brake, and turn signals
This is the kit for my Givi V46 with running, brake, and turn signals
OP
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
UTC quote
Lord Ickenham wrote:
At the official Piaggio dealer in my country this is about 220$ too. The prices of the ebay are different everywhere. It is not US vs. Europe difference.
$220 beats the snot out of $420 Stateside!

O.S.
@lord_ickenham avatar
UTC

Addicted
et 2 50cc

Addicted
@lord_ickenham avatar
et 2 50cc
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Lord Ickenham wrote:
$220 beats the snot out of $420 Stateside!

O.S.
Yes, that's right. You see, how good my relationship with money.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Today I mounted a SHAD SH39 Carbon to my scoot. I feel it looks right size wise on the scooter and an easy fit plate to folding OE rear carrier. I used two of the OE female threaded holes and two Shad screws to mount.
They sell aftermarket top case with color plates if your after that look. My scoot is gloss black so the black/carbon looks good for me.
I passed on an Amazon SH33 case at $70-it is reduced as being a warehouse return but is new. That model is very close to an OE Vespa case & Shad makes those anyway, plus many other mfg.'s stuff. You could paint a black case white if your as tight as me?
FWIW the actual plastic is black on ALL! of them before painted.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
One reason is that US dealers seem to be accustomed to a mark-up of >75% (I've seen 100%) on their cost price of 'accessories'. I can also see why they do this.

In the EU, where far more parts and accessories are sold, the normal mark-up is rarely above 25%, and often much less.

All down to volume - and in the EU dealers often buy in all their parts etc, they don't get them on Piaggio's finance. Bikes on the showroom floor are usually fully paid for already, not part of a loan from Piaggio.

EU dealers tend to have been established for 30, 40, 50+ years - they own their own stock and building and whatever outright. They aren't the sort of start-up businesses that happen in the US.

It's down to different financial cultures.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
That above makes sense for OE dealer floor accessories bought here but not the same for the SHAD case I just bought. They are available from German scooter parts dealers much cheaper in the USA, even after shipping costs, that are obviously about twice that of a lower 48 shipped case that comes from the distributor here in FL. only logical that the USA distributor would be bring them in on the cheap in containers, thus their markup is higher than the German price break within the EU? And SHAD also sells direct from a USA website so it's not the middleman thing.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0131s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]