OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t
UTC quote
I just recently purchased a 50cc scooter to get around town with. I have a hard time going above 30 MPH which is good to get it registered without having to get a motorcycle license. After its registered, however, I want to derestrict it to achieve the most speed possible.

If anyone could give me suggestions of what the best things to do first are that would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to attach any videos or pictures, anything help. I know of the exhaust and the drive pulley bearing but just wanted a second opinion before I start wrenching.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
I bought my wife a 2014 Fly 50 last year. It would go over 35 MPH, but it also had a new belt on it (which I discovered when the variator nut came loose). My guess is if there was a variator spacer in there it was removed when the belt was installed.

My first suggestion would be to remove the variator cover and remove the spacer, if present. That should get your top speed to a happier place, but it will do nothing for acceleration up to that point. If that's still not enough, and you want to be able to keep up with traffic, or not hold up traffic on a 40 MPH road, nothing else will give you any significant improvement until you bump up the displacement.

My suggestion is to install the Malossi 80cc kit, Dr Pulley 5 gram sliders and size 80 main jet. And while you have the assembly out, I would install a iridium spark plug and new air filter. I tried the Malossi variator, but I found the sliders accomplish the same at a lower price, and are not as noisy. I also ordered the Malossi CDI, but did not end up using it, as all of these items gave the scooter enough power.

It now accelerates great, keeping up with the normal acceleration of cars, and can hold 45 MPH on a slight incline into the wind. On a slight downhill slope with the wind at my back it will go well over 50 MPH (measured with GPS, not speedo).
OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t
UTC quote
I was looking more on the cheaper side of things, maybe will look into the 80cc kit in the future but for now I am more interested in tweaking the engine to see how much quicker I can make it without spending a bigger sum of money. Would the 5 gram sliders work on the 50c engine as well? For $20 I would for sure be willing to give that a try.

As for the spacer, I will be sure to remove that. Thanks for the suggestion.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
There is often a restriction in the exhaust that can be bashed out.
Your local dodgy scooter shop should be able to do the exhaust and variator spacer in about an hour.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t
UTC quote
I shouldn't have a problem doing it myself. I am new to scooters but have lots of experiencing working with cars. Just seeing what the aficionados have to say before going at it myself.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
The exhaust restriction is on the 2 stroke model.

If you're not ready to pull the engine and install the big bore kit start with removing the variator spacer and install the 5 gram sliders, since you'll have the cover off anyway (use Locktite and a torque wrench on the variator nut!!). The next thing I would do is swap out the stock size 72 main jet with a size 75, and adjust the throttle cable to remove all of the slack. You will probaly notice you can turn the throttle quite a bit before raising the engine speed. Removing the slack might allow the throttle to open a bit more.

After all of these are done and you get used to the minor improvement, go for the big bore kit and really start enjoying your scooter. BTW, there's a cheaper big bore kit available at scooterpartsco.com for around $160.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t

Lurker
Piaggio Fly 50 4V 4t
UTC quote
https://www.scooterwest.com/malossi-cylinder-kit-italjet-m318723.html

I found this and would be happy to pay that price. Does anyone know if this would be compatible with my scooter since it is a 4 valve 4 stroke? There doesn't seem to be much information on it.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
caleb.gail wrote:
https://www.scooterwest.com/malossi-cylinder-kit-italjet-m318723.html

I found this and would be happy to pay that price. Does anyone know if this would be compatible with my scooter since it is a 4 valve 4 stroke? There doesn't seem to be much information on it.
No. That's a 2 stroke kit.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
caleb.gail wrote:
to achieve the most speed possible.
150 motor swap.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
For the 4T 4V this is your cheapest option:

https://scooterpartsco.com/piaggio/piaggio-fly-50/malossi-88cc-vespa-4-stroke-big-bore-cylinder-kit?zenid=cccb57be306e58e6845d2b7c0111afe1

And it's worth it. Keep your eyes open for specials.
@franknbrew avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX 50

Addicted
@franknbrew avatar
2006 LX 50
UTC quote
The cheaper kit I mentioned earlier is for the 4T 2V.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]