OP
UTC

Lurker
Gilera Runner/GTS 300 Conversion

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi guys, wonder if anyone is able to help me. Recently finished doing a gilera runner 300 conversion. Bike cut out theother day due to the spark plug rattling loose. Unfortunately my HT cap for some reason it seats EXTREMELY tight on the top of the plug. Anyway upon removing the HT cap the loose plug seemed to "jump" a few threads resulting in the plug not being able to be tightened or loosened. In the end I got p***ed off and out of shear frustration ended up using all of my might just trying to crank the plug out (stupid I know), this resulted in the plug snapping below the nut. I turned the engine over to blow out the remaining middle part of the plug so now I am left with the hollow threaded metal jacket stuck in my head. I bought a set of EZ-out's (LH thread bolt extractors) however when trying to remove the threaded portion this way it doesn't want to budge and it feels like I'm going to snap the extractor.

Any advice? I'm loosing too much sleep over this bike and would love to have it back on the road as soon as possible however I cannot remove the threaded portion with and don't see any other viable options. Other than send the head off for repair.

If there is any machinists/engineers on hear that are willing to remove this portion of plug and chase/tap/helicoil the spark plug thread I am willing to pay. I am located in Surrey if anyone is local and fancies the job!!!

Thanks guys!!
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Seems to me we're in "off with its head" territory.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
+1 ^^^^

Once the head is off, it will be easier to make the repair. Don't use a HeliCoil repair for the threads. They are not ideal for this. I always use a TimeSert for repairing spark plugs holes.

-Craig
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
+2

no way to really repair in situ

pull motor (or just the head) and figure it from there. more than likely a replacement will be better/cheaper and more durable than any kind of repair-- obviously depending on the damage.

at best you're out a long weekend and parts. at worst, a trip to the machineshop a bit of dough and that same long weekend and then the next to knock it all back together.

-g
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi guys, whipped the head off and truthfully it's ruined. Going to replace the cylinder head however I've noticed there's not too many 300 heads about. There is many 250 heads though (beverly 250, x9 250 ect) and wondered if these 250 heads are interchangeable?
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
bmunro21 wrote:
Hi guys, whipped the head off and truthfully it's ruined. Going to replace the cylinder head however I've noticed there's not too many 300 heads about. There is many 250 heads though (beverly 250, x9 250 ect) and wondered if these 250 heads are interchangeable?
Can't answer your question about a 250 head fitting a 300, but be for you toss that head have a good machine shop take a look at it you might be surprised what can be fixed.
@philos avatar
UTC

Banned
2001 LML 150 2t

Banned
@philos avatar
2001 LML 150 2t
UTC quote
Here's a little tip..

On your new spark plug put a tiny amount of high temp anti-seize before installing. On piston engined aircraft we'd always put 3 dots of anti-seize each about the size of a match head on the plug threads.
UTC

Hooked
Rally180

Hooked
Rally180
UTC quote
Yes, it is a myth that modern spark plugs do not need anti seize because of the nickle plating they put on the threads. That might be true for brand new parts, but once things get nicely used, the anti seize is a safer bet. Just be aware enough during installation not to get the anti seize on the electrode. Not too hard to manage that with a little care.
@lord_ickenham avatar
UTC

Addicted
et 2 50cc

Addicted
@lord_ickenham avatar
et 2 50cc
UTC quote
Philos wrote:
Here's a little tip..

On your new spark plug put a tiny amount of high temp anti-seize before installing. On piston engined aircraft we'd always put 3 dots of anti-seize each about the size of a match head on the plug threads.
Copper grease?
@philos avatar
UTC

Banned
2001 LML 150 2t

Banned
@philos avatar
2001 LML 150 2t
UTC quote
Lord Ickenham wrote:
Philos wrote:
Here's a little tip..

Copper grease?
I honestly don't know about copper anti-seize. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows whether it's ok to use for this purpose.?

I use a nickel high temp anti-seize. That's all I've ever used. It's called 'pure nickel special' anti-seize by Bostick and contains no copper. That's all I've ever used and I know it's a very high quality - it's the old story a small tin will last a life time.
@raputtak avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.

Ossessionato
@raputtak avatar
2016 GTS 300 Super - red, of course.
UTC quote
Ya doomed. Doomed.

(Sorry. I've been watching too much "Dad's Army".)
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
bmunro21 wrote:
There is many 250 heads though (beverly 250, x9 250 ect) and wondered if these 250 heads are interchangeable?
Malossi head one part number fits all 125-300cc.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]